Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM

6 posts, read 19,639 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your input and thoughtful commentary. I'm reaching out because I'm perplexed as to what to do. I'm a professional in a large city, and had a great first interview. I then had a good second interview, where the employer mentioned that they weren't ready to make any hiring decisions "for a while." I didn't want to press the issue, but tried to get a better sense of the timing, to which the interviewer said, "I'll be in touch."

After the second interview, I sent Thank You cards to both people who interviewed me. Didn't hear back for a month.

I emailed both individuals in a friendly, casual manner letting them know I was very much interested, and when would they be making a decision.

It's now three weeks later, and I haven't heard a word. Should I continue to pursue this and if so, how?

To be honest, I'm disappointed and rather surprised I haven't heard anything back at all. If I didn't get the job they should say so, and if they are still interviewing people, they should say so. The lack of communication is disconcerting.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
I would put zero stock in a company who "wont be hiring for a while". Who keeps a pool of interviewed applicants on the line for weeks or months?

The minute I heard that, I would have written it off as a waste of time, and moved forward with the job search, just my thought on the matter.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Thanks for your reply, Randomdude.

Also, I have to point out that the first interviewer said they were super busy (and presumably would be looking for someone to start right away), whereas the second interviewer gave a different impression. Really strange.

Has anyone else "never" heard back after a second interview?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
If they keep a pool of people, then probably the HR dept just has to keep people coming in, basically to justify their position. They are not hiring, just taking apps. Means, "Don't call us, we'll call you" Don't lose sleep over it. If they call you back, then good luck. If not, no biggie.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
before leaving the 2nd interview you put it to them squarely (even bluntly)...
When will I hear a yes or no?
Anything other than a firm and unequivocal statement =BS
or the person has no authority to act and you've already wasted your time.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
They don't have an opening or they don't care about/won't fill it, or they have already filled it with someone else. It has been almost two months, so it is time to write them off and move on.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I hate it when that happens, very frustrating for you. Hopefully something better will come along soon!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks for all of your help. I am still taking possibilities as to "what happened"?

Very bewildered, as I took two days at their convenience and interviewed with two different people. For this, and not to receive a "thanks but no thanks" is distressing.

In the meantime, of course I have been applying to other positions, but I just wonder if it's the economy, the company or what. Seems rather unprofessional on their part.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:35 PM

To MrRational, yeah, it really triggered alarm bells when the second interviewer wouldn't give me a straight answer, but I thought I could take her word for it, that hiring might not happen for a month or so. I don't understand what they stand to gain by stringing people along (I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Also, I've had two bait and switch interviews lately, where the job posted is for one position, and right off the bat, they throw a bomb at me, and tell me the position is for another, inevitably lower on the pay and position scale. Sick. Has this ever happened to anyone else, and if so, how did you handle it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search