U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,948,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I can see how that worked but only problem is that I live 1,000 miles a away from the job.

How would you be able to lie what if they want to give you an interview.

Thanks I didn't even think about that.

I live in detroit mi and am applying in NYC. not exactly close either. The distance i'm applying from and yours is still only one plane away. When the company i just interviewed with asked me to come in for an interview I said I was back at home visiting family taking a break from the job search and will be back in xx days. Then asked if a phone interview or skype interview would be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM

841 posts, read 1,663,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I agree with you Anne, but I don't think he is going to get any calls back. When I was looking for work last year in another state, I even had a conversation with HR at two companies and they said they would love to persue (sp?) me further, but they wanted me to be already in the state. And I did mention to them that I would not need any extra time or relocation assistance, they still wanted me to be local.
This has been our experience as well. You have to be THERE and ready to go. Unless you have very unique skills no one will consider you from another state. Heck, another town is hard enough to get interviews in these days.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM

3,713 posts, read 4,092,979 times
I found this out the hard way...interviewed for a position in Seattle, while living in Dallas. I have ties there but never considered that they WOULDN'T consider me when they asked for the interview in the first place. This was two years ago and I'm still here...still wanting to go there...

Honestly though? I have a really hard time lying. And I know all the suggestions here are reasonable and logical. But knowing how I am, I wonder if I wouldn't trip up somewhere...and to me, that would be worse...getting caught!!

So...what to do? What to do? Move in with my unsuspecting brother? I could use his address but still...I admit, this is a tricky dilemma.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I found this out the hard way...interviewed for a position in Seattle, while living in Dallas. I have ties there but never considered that they WOULDN'T consider me when they asked for the interview in the first place. This was two years ago and I'm still here...still wanting to go there...

Honestly though? I have a really hard time lying. And I know all the suggestions here are reasonable and logical. But knowing how I am, I wonder if I wouldn't trip up somewhere...and to me, that would be worse...getting caught!!

So...what to do? What to do? Move in with my unsuspecting brother? I could use his address but still...I admit, this is a tricky dilemma.
think of it as extending the truth instead of lying? because if you planned on living with your brother for a week while you were getting your housing situation lined up it's partially true that that's your address

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

3,713 posts, read 4,092,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
think of it as extending the truth instead of lying? because if you planned on living with your brother for a week while you were getting your housing situation lined up it's partially true that that's your address
Smarty...that is a good way to look at it!! Yep, I feel like I should've been aware of this problem before I went, but it wasn't until I got back that I had an inkling of the "out of state" thing...gracious, I truly thought if they wanted an interview with me, that I had something they wanted. Foolish of me to not know that they were looking for numbers...

Now, I just have to bite the bullet and go for it...

Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM

i am in the process of doing that as well. I have an interview at 8:30 am on friday.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:33 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,909,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
This has been our experience as well. You have to be THERE and ready to go. Unless you have very unique skills no one will consider you from another state. Heck, another town is hard enough to get interviews in these days.
What about a B level a.s.e certified automotive technician?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
What about a B level a.s.e certified automotive technician?
I don't know how it is where you are, but i'm from the motor city and we have plenty of a.s.e certified techs here unemployed.

With all the layoffs that happened two years ago you basically have to go into your job search thinking that someone that was at least two levels higher than you is now applying for your same job.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM

18,910 posts, read 9,635,843 times
1. Get and list a local phone number from Google Voice.
2. List a local address by using Postnet or some other mail forwarding agencies
3. Leave out any state or location information on your resume. It's irrelevant anyway.
4. Go to the interview on your own expense (fly, drive or walk)
5. Do not mention anything about relocation during the interview. It's irrelevant. Interview is about your ability to do the job not about where you live. If they ask when do you live, you answer :"I am currently looking for a new place close to this company."
6. After you at the job offer, move at your own expense.

If by any chance they find out where you are because you slipped your tongue, just say "I am in the process of finishing my moving for my personal reasons. I really don't expect the company to cover any relocation expense or any expense that I incur during the interviews."

Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,909,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1. Get and list a local phone number from Google Voice.
2. List a local address by using Postnet or some other mail forwarding agencies
3. Leave out any state or location information on your resume. It's irrelevant anyway.
4. Go to the interview on your own expense (fly, drive or walk)
5. Do not mention anything about relocation during the interview. It's irrelevant. Interview is about your ability to do the job not about where you live. If they ask when do you live, you answer :"I am currently looking for a new place close to this company."
6. After you at the job offer, move at your own expense.

If by any chance they find out where you are because you slipped your tongue, just say "I am in the process of finishing my moving for my personal reasons. I really don't expect the company to cover any relocation expense or any expense that I incur during the interviews."
Thanks a million.

I will have to fly out there which will be a tricky. I'm living paycheck to paycheck right now at this low level position.

So I will have to set aside money for a plane ticket and possibly money for a hotel.
I will also have time the interview right. I work 6 days a week and the only day I have off is Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or