U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM

18,883 posts, read 9,629,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Thanks a million.

I will have to fly out there which will be a tricky. I'm living paycheck to paycheck right now at this low level position.

So I will have to set aside money for a plane ticket and possibly money for a hotel.
I will also have time the interview right. I work 6 days a week and the only day I have off is Sunday.
Well, you are the one who wants to relocate, and there's a cost to relocate. To do things, you will need to make sacrifice.

When I was looking for jobs up north, that was what I was planning to do, knowing whenever I see applicants from other states, I just hit delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:40 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,909,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Well, you are the one who wants to relocate, and there's a cost to relocate. To do things, you will need to make sacrifice.

When I was looking for jobs up north, that was what I was planning to do, knowing whenever I see applicants from other states, I just hit delete.
The cost is fine It's only 250$...Then I would need a cheap hotel and a rent - a- car for 1 day.
Its the time frame. I'm screwed. I would have to start lying to my current employer just to get the time off and I would have to plan in advance and how would I explain my current employeer's location?

Last edited by Veyron; 08-15-2012 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The cost is fine It's only 250$...Then I would need a cheap hotel and a rent - a- car for 1 day.
Its the time frame. I'm screwed. I would have to start lying to my current employer just to get the time off and I would have to plan in advance and how would I explain my current employeer's location?
You don't. Don't list the location.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You don't. Don't list the location.
What if they ask which most likely they will.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What if they ask which most likely they will.
Then tell them. As long as you don't ask for interview or moving compensation, it makes no difference to them whatsoever.

When being asked, I'd say "I currently live in XYZ and plan to move here. I will cover my own moving cost or any cost about coming here for interview." That should be the end of it. If they don't ask, don't tell.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM

22,739 posts, read 16,826,114 times
That's ridiculous, of course they are going to ask. When they see your current or last job is in another state, they are GOING TO ASK!

I love this conflict:

One side says: I won't hire you if you are from out of state, hell I won't even look at your resume. TRASH!

The other side says: Have you considered moving for a job?

The third side says: Don't move unless you have a job lined up.

For God's sake, I'm beginning to think no one here has a clue what they're talking about.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 AM

101 posts, read 277,068 times
I tried a cross country job search a few years ago. I devoted $5000 for last minute travel expenses (air, car rental and hotel. I got a voice mail telephone number in the town I wanted to move to and an address at a Mailbox Etc in that town. (No one ever sent me a letter anyway so the mail thing was a waste of money. I should have just given a huge high rise apartment building and left the apartment number blank)

I went out for nine interviews where I flew out at a short notice and stayed at a hotel and rented a car. I used Priceline name your own price for air and hotel which saved me some money, but at the end most of the interviews were disasters and did not go well at all. After meeting the people I would work for and with, and seeing the offices, I was not to impressed in many cases. Other cases I just did not click to well with the people I talked to and failed to impress. This would be expected in any job hunt but was super depressing after spending $500 for a short trip for the interview. After a year of hitting my head against the wall I gave up and ran out of the money I had set aside.

Eventually I was laid off the terrible job I was working at and got unemployment and severence and moved out to NYC and just started looking for a job as a real local. Now that I was a local candidate I did much better and got a job after 8 interviews in 4 months.

My advice: Move to a town that you want to work in. Long distance job hunts are very difficult if not impossible and very expensive.

Last edited by Jobless and Broke; 08-17-2012 at 04:45 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,947,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
I tried a cross country job search a few years ago. I devoted $5000 for last minute travel expenses (air, car rental and hotel. I got a voice mail telephone number in the town I wanted to move to and an address at a Mailbox Etc in that town. (No one ever sent me a letter anyway so the mail thing was a waste of money. I should have just given a huge high rise apartment building and left the apartment number blank)

I went out for nine interviews where I flew out at a short notice and stayed at a hotel and rented a car. I used Priceline name your own price for air and hotel which saved me some money, but at the end most of the interviews were disasters and did not go well at all. After meeting the people I would work for and with, and seeing the offices, I was not to impressed in many cases. Other cases I just did not click to well with the people I talked to and failed to impress. This would be expected in any job hunt but was super depressing after spending $500 for a short trip for the interview. After a year of hitting my head against the wall I gave up and ran out of the money I had set aside.

Eventually I was laid off the terrible job I was working at and got unemployment and severence and moved out to NYC and just started looking for a job as a real local. Now that I was a local candidate I did much better and got a job after 8 interviews in 4 months.

My advice: Move to a town that you want to work in. Long distance job hunts are very difficult if not impossible and very expensive.
i just did that sort of. I put a random apartment building in NYC so that my resume would actually get looked at. When they called and asked if I could come in tomorrow i said i was back home visiting as the address i have is the address I was subletting at. I did a skype interview, and I just got done with an in person interview, and guess what, i got the job and they are completely fine with waiting a week for me to complete the move.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I agree with skinnayyy, in this economy, most likely, unless you have really hard to find skills, they won't look at you unless they think you already live there.

Just look for an apartment building in Houston and list that as your address. The phone number shouldn't matter as we all have cell phones these days. I have a 203 cell phone area code, but live in Florida and when we move next year, I'm keeping it. My parents have been in NJ for 8 years and theirs is still 203, as is my brother's who lives in Denver now.

If it matters to the employer, they will ask you if you are already in Houston, just say yes. Be ready to buy a plane ticket for tomorrow if they call you for an interview. Learn a little about the city so you have some talking points.

Are you currently working in CT? If so, just make sure you have some days saved up to be able to ditch at the last minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I agree with you Anne, but I don't think he is going to get any calls back. When I was looking for work last year in another state, I even had a conversation with HR at two companies and they said they would love to persue (sp?) me further, but they wanted me to be already in the state. And I did mention to them that I would not need any extra time or relocation assistance, they still wanted me to be local.

I think if the OP doesn't have funds to fly out to HOU the next day, then he should rethink his strategy. Unless he has some unique skills, I doubt they will fly him out and same goes for being hired over just a phone interview. I guess you could get a progressive employer that would be willing to do a skype interview, but that is rare. So if he's really in need of relocating and finding a job, I don't think limiting yourself is the way to do it.

As far as the job in CT, just end date your resume with August 2012, then September 2012 once we get to September etc. If they call to verify, you can always say they let you telecommute for a month to finish up a few projects as you really needed to move. Even if an employer calls you in say January 2013 and you have September 2012 on your resume, you can say that when you put the resume together, you had already given notice, but then they offered you an incentive to stay through the end of the year and you agreed. It's not ideal, but it's what you have to do I think. You just have to keep track of each resume you send to the employer, the day you sent it, and to whom, but you should be doing that anyway. I just don't think that he's going to be able to find a job out of state doing what you suggest. Just my opinion though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
This has been our experience as well. You have to be THERE and ready to go. Unless you have very unique skills no one will consider you from another state. Heck, another town is hard enough to get interviews in these days.

Thanks a million! You guys just helped me alot! I've got this completely figured out! All I need a is a few specialities or skills that most other autotechs don't have and I will not only get a call back but a much higher salary!

I will train myself on it. And stick it on my resume.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,947,611 times
Quote:
Thanks a million! You guys just helped me alot! I've got this completely figured out! All I need a is a few specialities or skills that most other autotechs don't have and I will not only get a call back but a much higher salary!

I will train myself on it. And stick it on my resume.
you can't just train yourself on it. you'll most likely need some sort of certification stating that you actually know how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or