Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,012,695 times

Advertisements

I currently live in CT and was planning on relocating to houston texas after I get a job there.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to a resume thats being used to apply to a job in another state. Should I add a disclaimer?

Thanks for the advice and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,721,452 times
on my resume for a little bit i put in there right below my address that i was relocating to xxxx city in xxx month of 2012. But in the end the resume that got me calls and interviews was the one that said i already lived there.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 PM

107 posts, read 209,706 times
I usually say something in my cover letter. Everyone tells me to just lie and act like I live there already but I never do because I always go through "what if's" and then people tell me to just tell them I am out of town if they want me to come in for an interview before I can...but I still can't lie..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,061 times
Get a phone number in the area code. You can do this for free with Google voice. It will at least give them a number that is local to call. After that, put your current address at the top. Directly under it, put relocation to "City, State and date"

The phone number should, hopefully, get them to believe that you are intending to put down ties in the area.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,478,773 times
I agree with skinnayyy, in this economy, most likely, unless you have really hard to find skills, they won't look at you unless they think you already live there.

Just look for an apartment building in Houston and list that as your address. The phone number shouldn't matter as we all have cell phones these days. I have a 203 cell phone area code, but live in Florida and when we move next year, I'm keeping it. My parents have been in NJ for 8 years and theirs is still 203, as is my brother's who lives in Denver now.

If it matters to the employer, they will ask you if you are already in Houston, just say yes. Be ready to buy a plane ticket for tomorrow if they call you for an interview. Learn a little about the city so you have some talking points.

Are you currently working in CT? If so, just make sure you have some days saved up to be able to ditch at the last minute.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,012,488 times
Don't put it in the resume. In the cover letter state that you are relocating to Houston on XXX date and that you don't expect relocation assistance and will fly to interviews at your own expense.

If you are currently working in CT, you better figure out how to explain that if you claim you are living in Houston. Employers aren't stupid and that would be a red flag for me.

PS--Are you financially able to pay for a plane ticket to fly BDL to HOU for an interview the next day?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Don't put it in the resume. In the cover letter state that you are relocating to Houston on XXX date and that you don't expect relocation assistance and will fly to interviews at your own expense.

If you are currently working in CT, you better figure out how to explain that if you claim you are living in Houston. Employers aren't stupid and that would be a red flag for me.

PS--Are you financially able to pay for a plane ticket to fly BDL to HOU for an interview the next day?
I agree with you Anne, but I don't think he is going to get any calls back. When I was looking for work last year in another state, I even had a conversation with HR at two companies and they said they would love to persue (sp?) me further, but they wanted me to be already in the state. And I did mention to them that I would not need any extra time or relocation assistance, they still wanted me to be local.

I think if the OP doesn't have funds to fly out to HOU the next day, then he should rethink his strategy. Unless he has some unique skills, I doubt they will fly him out and same goes for being hired over just a phone interview. I guess you could get a progressive employer that would be willing to do a skype interview, but that is rare. So if he's really in need of relocating and finding a job, I don't think limiting yourself is the way to do it.

As far as the job in CT, just end date your resume with August 2012, then September 2012 once we get to September etc. If they call to verify, you can always say they let you telecommute for a month to finish up a few projects as you really needed to move. Even if an employer calls you in say January 2013 and you have September 2012 on your resume, you can say that when you put the resume together, you had already given notice, but then they offered you an incentive to stay through the end of the year and you agreed. It's not ideal, but it's what you have to do I think. You just have to keep track of each resume you send to the employer, the day you sent it, and to whom, but you should be doing that anyway. I just don't think that he's going to be able to find a job out of state doing what you suggest. Just my opinion though.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,721,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I agree with you Anne, but I don't think he is going to get any calls back. When I was looking for work last year in another state, I even had a conversation with HR at two companies and they said they would love to persue (sp?) me further, but they wanted me to be already in the state. And I did mention to them that I would not need any extra time or relocation assistance, they still wanted me to be local.

I think if the OP doesn't have funds to fly out to HOU the next day, then he should rethink his strategy. Unless he has some unique skills, I doubt they will fly him out and same goes for being hired over just a phone interview. I guess you could get a progressive employer that would be willing to do a skype interview, but that is rare. So if he's really in need of relocating and finding a job, I don't think limiting yourself is the way to do it.

As far as the job in CT, just end date your resume with August 2012, then September 2012 once we get to September etc. If they call to verify, you can always say they let you telecommute for a month to finish up a few projects as you really needed to move. Even if an employer calls you in say January 2013 and you have September 2012 on your resume, you can say that when you put the resume together, you had already given notice, but then they offered you an incentive to stay through the end of the year and you agreed. It's not ideal, but it's what you have to do I think. You just have to keep track of each resume you send to the employer, the day you sent it, and to whom, but you should be doing that anyway. I just don't think that he's going to be able to find a job out of state doing what you suggest. Just my opinion though.
I'm relocating to NYC and on my resume I had put relocating to NYC summer of 2012, and i never really got any calls. I had gotten one interview and thats it. I started putting a queens address on my resume and i've gotten a few more calls. I actually just had a skype interview yesterday because I told them I was back home visiting for the next week but would be able to do a phone or skype interview. In my situation this sounded a bit more reasonable because a lot of people sublet in NYC so I just said I was subletting in NYC and the address on my resume was where I was subletting at and not my permanent address.

I also had a phone interview and they were ready to offer me the position just off a phone interview and I had my michigan address on my resume, and the interviewer asked if i was still in michigan. When i responded with yes, but I can be out in NYC to start on monday they still said that they wanted someone local to be able to start sooner than that. I was kind of flabbergasted that they would be able to find someone that could start sooner than me, but I digress.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I'm relocating to NYC and on my resume I had put relocating to NYC summer of 2012, and i never really got any calls. I had gotten one interview and thats it. I started putting a queens address on my resume and i've gotten a few more calls. I actually just had a skype interview yesterday because I told them I was back home visiting for the next week but would be able to do a phone or skype interview. In my situation this sounded a bit more reasonable because a lot of people sublet in NYC so I just said I was subletting in NYC and the address on my resume was where I was subletting at and not my permanent address.

I also had a phone interview and they were ready to offer me the position just off a phone interview and I had my michigan address on my resume, and the interviewer asked if i was still in michigan. When i responded with yes, but I can be out in NYC to start on monday they still said that they wanted someone local to be able to start sooner than that. I was kind of flabbergasted that they would be able to find someone that could start sooner than me, but I digress.
Yeah I know right?!?!?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,012,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
on my resume for a little bit i put in there right below my address that i was relocating to xxxx city in xxx month of 2012. But in the end the resume that got me calls and interviews was the one that said i already lived there.
I can see how that worked but only problem is that I live 1,000 miles a away from the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
I usually say something in my cover letter. Everyone tells me to just lie and act like I live there already but I never do because I always go through "what if's" and then people tell me to just tell them I am out of town if they want me to come in for an interview before I can...but I still can't lie..
How would you be able to lie what if they want to give you an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Get a phone number in the area code. You can do this for free with Google voice. It will at least give them a number that is local to call. After that, put your current address at the top. Directly under it, put relocation to "City, State and date"

The phone number should, hopefully, get them to believe that you are intending to put down ties in the area.
Thanks I didn't even think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search