U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,463,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My cousin sends me a text message two day ago to email my resume to one if her friends because she works for a company in my field. So i send her the resume and then the person sends back this response that made me want to throw my computer out the window

"ok thanks, I will give your resume to HR in the morning"

HUH? Isn't that something I could have done myself? Is this the most pointless referral ever? My understanding was that my cousin's friend was going to give it to one someone in management not HR. Am i the only who sees something odd about this whole thing?
The odds are, if your cousin didn't encourage you, you would not have taken the initiative to contact that company. You also could have asked for the name of contact person in HR that handles job apps. To answer your question, "Isn't that something I could have done myself?" The answer is yes, however you've been out of work since December 2011 and have not sent your resume to that company.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: deleted personal remarks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,877,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Nobody gets hired without going through HR. Period.

Most places do not involve HR from a hiring standpoint until the hiring decision is made. They just make the policies and ensure those policies are enforced.

Last edited by Momotaro; 08-10-2012 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,620,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My cousin sends me a text message two day ago to email my resume to one if her friends because she works for a company in my field. So i send her the resume and then the person sends back this response that made me want to throw my computer out the window

"ok thanks, I will give your resume to HR in the morning"

HUH? Isn't that something I could have done myself? Is this the most pointless referral ever? My understanding was that my cousin's friend was going to give it to one someone in management not HR. Am i the only who sees something odd about this whole thing?
It is more helpful than it seems. When I am sorting through applications, I DO give more weight to the ones that were sent to me internally, and those that were sent by someone internal. I look at them first, at least. It doesn't guarantee a job, but it is one thing that others don't have.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM

2,953 posts, read 8,631,366 times
A thank you to the cousin would suffice.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM

9,791 posts, read 17,006,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Totally false.

In the last four jobs I've held, I didn't meet HR until after an offer had been extended. At that point they stepped in to do the drug screen, etc.

At my current company it's the same way, you are hired by the hiring manager for that job, and even your references are checked by that person. You are sent for your drug screen by our payroll person (I know, weird, but it works well for us) and don't usually meet HR until the day you start working.

I would venture to guess that your job offer was approved by HR/EEOC. You don't meet our HR people until you start either, but they are involved behind the scenes in the hiring process.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
I would venture to guess that your job offer was approved by HR/EEOC. You don't meet our HR people until you start either, but they are involved behind the scenes in the hiring process.
Nope. I went on to become a hiring manager at my last two jobs, so I know that for a fact.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
That's like saying you're hungry and then snubbing a proffered sandwich because all you want is filet mignon. Times change and the level at which people can assist you can vary, too. As gnomatic indicated, blindly mailing your resume is not the same as having a current employee hand deliver your resume to HR. Your cousin did do you a favor. If you think networking is just about getting direct access to upper management then you have a few more surprises coming your way during your job search.

My problem is it sounded like she was begging people to give me a job which is not something I want anyone to do because it doesn't make me look too appealing as a candidate. Years ago my aunt talked me up and said "my nephew is a recent college grad with a B.A. in communications". Not "my cousin is looking for a job" and do you know if your company has any openings? But I'm not going to say anything to my cousin because i don;t want to mess up our relationship so I will just show appreciation and move on.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Nobody gets hired without going through HR. Period.
Did you not read my experience in 1999? I clearly stated I never ever met HR and was hired for the position.

Her giving my resume to HR means that it's NO OPENINGS. And I'm not going to criticize my cousin's friend for not knowing anyone important because it was my cousin who approached her about me so she probably just felt pressured to make it look like she has some kind of pull in the company.

When I heard HR then I knew right away she was not friends with anyone important at the company.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Totally false.

In the last four jobs I've held, I didn't meet HR until after an offer had been extended. At that point they stepped in to do the drug screen, etc.

At my current company it's the same way, you are hired by the hiring manager for that job, and even your references are checked by that person. You are sent for your drug screen by our payroll person (I know, weird, but it works well for us) and don't usually meet HR until the day you start working.

Thank you so much Ann for backing me on that inaccurate statement. I was hired twice without going to HR.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Here's the difference.

If you apply through normal channels, faxing or emailing a resume or applying online, your resume goes into a stack with all the others for review. If they are using computer screening, it might not even make it into the review pile.

When a resume is hand delivered, even to HR, someone is actually going to review that resume. Often because it came from an internal referral, you'll get put into the "schedule interview" pile even if you don't quite look like what they were looking for on paper. If that's the case, that interview is where you can sell yourself and overcome obstacles.

And by the way, it's not 1999 anymore. The times are changing and you can change with them or be left in the dust.

When I saw HR in my email it just sounded like there wasn't any openings and that she just felt pressure to help me out because she is friends with my cousin. It would have been best if she just told my cousin that they are not hiring right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search