U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Reputation: 13020

Advertisements

I won't hire a friend or a family member to work for me, but I will hire someone referred to me through my network--if they are the best candidate for the job. The referral will get them an interview (usually, if they are just not what I'm looking for I'm not wasting anyone's time) but if they aren't the right fit and best candidate they aren't getting hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
 
858 posts, read 1,562,987 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And this post right here confirms there is no open positions at that woman's company since she was giving to HR and not a hiring manager. Thanks
Ah no. I do not appreciate it when you claim what I wrote "confirm" whatever you think is true.
I do not know how "that woman"'s company work, nor do you. You are only guessing, no matter how many times you interviewed with them, you are still an outsider who doesn't have real working knowledge of how their internal process works.

In my example, the 2nd line's manager's friend's daughter resume was send to HR too for the role in our group. If she didn't meet the requirement, she would not get selected for any interview at all. And she had to go through the same pre-screening by HR as all other applicants. The fact she was a referral gave her a leg up on getting the interview, but it was NO GUARANTEE. But she would've gotten an offer based on nepotism alone. That is not someone I would want to work with.

In my opinion (notice..I am only guessing here) you got your job in 1999 because of nepotism, all thanks to your aunt. I have to wonder how many of those former colleagues really feel about you, maybe that is (one of many it would seem) the reason why you have yet to have any real results from your professional network.

Last edited by gnomatic; 08-10-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Ah no. I do not appreciate it when you claim what I wrote "confirm" whatever you think is true.
I do not know how "that woman"'s company work, nor do you. You are only guessing, no matter how many times you interviewed with them, you are still an outsider who doesn't have real working knowledge of how their internal process works.

In my example, the 2nd line's manager's friend's daughter resume was send to HR too for the role in our group. If she didn't meet the requirement, she would not get selected for any interview at all. And she had to go through the same pre-screening by HR as all other applicants. The fact she was a referral gave her a leg up on getting the interview, but it was NO GUARANTEE. But she would've gotten an offer based on nepotism alone. That is not someone I would want to work with.

In my opinion (notice..I am only guessing here) you got your job in 1999 because of nepotism, all thanks to your aunt. I have to wonder how many of those former colleagues really feel about you, maybe that is (one of many it would seem) the reason why you have yet to have any real results from your professional network.


They didn't like me at first because of the way I arrived at the company but over time we became good friends. The woman did ask me to include my education on my resume because she didn't see it and wanted me to include it before she gave it to HR. So I sent her a new version and now will see how it plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not all companies have the same hiring strategies. Geez, someone tried to do you a favor and you do nothing but complain about them. There's just no pleasing you, is there?

PS--For a guy who likes sports so much, why don't you apply at Chickie & Pete's or Dave & Busters?


I agree so I will just see how it plays out and not compare this situation to 1999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM
 
858 posts, read 1,562,987 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I won't hire a friend or a family member to work for me, but I will hire someone referred to me through my network--if they are the best candidate for the job. The referral will get them an interview (usually, if they are just not what I'm looking for I'm not wasting anyone's time) but if they aren't the right fit and best candidate they aren't getting hired.
I think you are way nicer then I am (and am ever likely to be). I almost never refer someone I haven't worked and/or gone to school with. The personal friends/family I have referred, I truly respect their work and knew they were qualified for the role I refer them for.

My approach to referrals, I can help you get your foot in the door, but it is up to you to take that step and most the most of it, no matter how small the door opening is. I can help you land the interview (no guarantees), but it's up you to get the job. And if they do get the job, they deserve all the credit. I am glad to help to get someone who I know could do the work, and do it well on board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
I think you are way nicer then I am (and am ever likely to be). I almost never refer someone I haven't worked and/or gone to school with. The personal friends/family I have referred, I truly respect their work and knew they were qualified for the role I refer them for.

My approach to referrals, I can help you get your foot in the door, but it is up to you to take that step and most the most of it, no matter how small the door opening is. I can help you land the interview (no guarantees), but it's up you to get the job. And if they do get the job, they deserve all the credit. I am glad to help to get someone who I know could do the work, and do it well on board.
We're actually on the same page. Most of the people who are referred to me come as former coworkers of someone in my network. One of the more recent hires had worked with a friend of mine about four years ago and they had kept in touch. The applicant had been recently RIF'ed from the job she had gone to and was looking for a new position. My friend knew I was looking to fill a role and told me about her former coworker. I told my friend to have the former coworker send me a resume and cover letter, and in the subject line of the email, put in caps "I AM A FRIEND OF[insert my friends name here]." As soon as I looked at the resume I knew they were a top contender, but I did my due diligence and interviewed three other candidates as well before hiring the one I did. Had the resume come in to me without the referral and reference from my friend I'm sure I still would have brought them in for an interview, but having the reference from someone I know and trust was what sealed the deal.

Also I think there's a difference between forwarding a resume from someone you think might be a good fit but saying you don't really know them and haven't worked with them and forwarding a resume for someone you know who you are willing to give a glowing reference for. I do both, but make it clear as to whether I'm actually recommending the person or just thought the resume looked good enough that the hiring manager might want to take a glance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM
 
858 posts, read 1,562,987 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They didn't like me at first because of the way I arrived at the company but over time we became good friends. The woman did ask me to include my education on my resume because she didn't see it and wanted me to include it before she gave it to HR. So I sent her a new version and now will see how it plays out.
Yeah.. the guy who was the son of the CEO. I got along with him, and was friendly. But doesn't mean I respect him on a professional level, much less refer him for a role. Maybe he could've done a great job, but there was no pressure on him to perform well because he was "protected" as the son of (former) CEO. He is good friends (they all still hang out) with other colleagues, they didn't (still don't) really respect him on a professional level either...but he probably doesn't know that.

There are many good friends I met on previous job that I wouldn't refer to my current company unless they ask me to. It's not even about their skills in most case, or rather I respect them on a professional level. It's about rather they would fit in.

And you already got help from "the woman" to improve your resume out of this referral, so it is not "pointless". She knows what her company looks for better than you do. She is going out of her way to help you when she didn't have to. Have you thanked her for her help yet?

Last edited by gnomatic; 08-10-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,099,357 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Someone did something nice for you. That is what you should be thankful for. What have you done for them?
Many people on this board would be grateful for a small opportunity like the one you received.

HR at this company might already "know" you, but you really think that you are on top of their list? The friend's referral brings your name back to the top of that list. Your "history" with them is as a former candidate...that is not that impressive. Now you are a former candidate who is a referral "X", which gives you an advantage in the future, if a position opens up and they see you as a fit.

If you have a problem with what your cousin did for you, please tell all your family, friends and network connections to not bother to help you unless they can guarantee you an in person interview. It would save them time and face from calling up and wasting favors on you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Yeah.. the guy who was the son of the CEO. I got along with him, and was friendly. But doesn't mean I respect him on a professional level, much less refer him for a role. Maybe he could've done a great job, but there was no pressure on him to perform well because he was "protected" as the son of (former) CEO. He is good friends (they all still hang out) with other colleagues, they didn't (still don't) really respect him on a professional level either...but he probably doesn't know that.

There are many good friends I met on previous job that I wouldn't refer to my current company unless they ask me to. It's not even about their skills in most case, or rather I respect them on a professional level. It's about rather they would fit in.

And you already got help from "the woman" to improve your resume out of this referral, so it is not "pointless". She knows what her company looks for better than you do. She is going out of her way to help you when she didn't have to. Have you thanked her for her help yet?
Yes I did thank her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 AM
 
Location: Ohio
3,441 posts, read 5,198,028 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because I'm not. If I were HR I'd be writing all that fine print about EEOC in the ad.
I didn't mean to jump on you even though it seemed that way, I'm, and probably many others are getting tired of TVSG's excuses why he can't find a job.

If I was in the mind to [help] someone get a job at my current employer I would speak with the production manager or VP of the company. But since this direct referral stuff could cause problems if it didn't work out, I am not apt to do this willy-nilly, most others probably feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top