Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:15 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Most places do not involve HR from a hiring standpoint until the hiring decision is made. They just make the policies and ensure those policies are enforced.
Except for small companies, most go through HR first. Even referrals. At two of my former employers, even if you knew the hiring manager for the referral, you still have to send it in to HR before the candidate would get a phone interview with HR. HR could still say no. Hell, I had to talk to HR first for every one of my jobs (these are professional white collars jobs), even the smallest company with only around 20 people (HR was part time) at that location.

At my last company, ALL referrals goes through the HR system. The hiring process was a bit different, you don't get hire for a particular position (unless it's a high level management position). You don't interview with people in the group you will be working, just people in similar roles. Once hired you go into a pool of new hires in that role, and which team you end up with is determined (your interest, discussion with your assigned mentor) when you join. The referral guarantees a HR recruiter reviews your resume, and it gets pass to the relevant reviewers (people in similar roles). Most applicants via the website never even get to HR...but then again, I think they get thousands of unsolicited (i.e. people that HR/Recruitment didn't approach, not referrals) applicants a month. And most new hire in this company ARE through referrals.

I don't think I have seen "hand deliver" resumes in over 12 years, it's either email or submitting to the referral database.

If you think it takes no time to submit your resume, think again. Every referral I did, I had to fill in 5 - 10 minutes of info in an online form, and attach the file for it. I personally would never do it for the cousin of a friend of mine. I seldom refer someone I haven't worked with. I have referred one or two personal friends, but never the of relative of one.

I refer people because I want to help the person seeking a job, that's all. It's awkward for me if the person didn't get the job, or an in person interview.

TVandSportsGuy, 12 years ago, you were 12 years younger. People are more open to hiring the nephew of a friend for entry level positions...not so much when it comes positions that are more senior level. And you are not in any position to EXPECT anything of anyone other then yourself. Your cousins friend did you a huge favor, you don't even seem to understand that.

What your cousin did for you is actually how networking works (albeit PROFESSIONAL neworks is most effective) . What your aunt did for you 12 years ago was nepotism once removed.

Last edited by gnomatic; 08-10-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Except for small companies, most go through HR first. Even referrals. At two of my former employers, even if you knew the hiring manager for the referral, you still have to send it in to HR before the candidate would get a phone interview with HR. HR could still say no. Hell, I had to talk to HR first for every one of my jobs (these are professional white collars jobs), even the smallest company with only around 20 people (HR was part time) at that location.

At my last company, ALL referrals goes through the HR system. The hiring process was a bit different, you don't get hire for a particular position (unless it's a high level management position). You don't interview with people in the group you will be working, just people in similar roles. Once hired you go into a pool of new hires in that role, and which team you end up with is determined (your interest, discussion with your assigned mentor) when you join. The referral guarantees a HR recruiter reviews your resume, and it gets pass to the relevant reviewers (people in similar roles). Most applicants via the website never even get to HR...but then again, I think they get thousands of unsolicited (i.e. people that HR/Recruitment didn't approach, not referrals) applicants a month.

I don't think I have seen "hand deliver" resumes in over 12 years, it's either email or submitting to the referral database.

If you think it takes no time to submit your resume, think again. Ever referral I did, I had to fill in 5 - 10 minutes of info in an online form, and attach the file for it. I personally would never do it for the cousin of a friend of mine. I seldom refer someone I haven't worked with. I have referred one or two personal friends, but never the of relative of one.

I refer people because I want to help the person seeking a job, that's all. It's awkward for me if the person didn't get the job, or an in person interview.

TVandSportsGuy, 12 years ago, you were 12 years younger. People are more open to hiring the nephew of a friend for entry level positions...not so much when it comes positions that are more senior level. And you are not in any position to EXPECT anything of anyone other then yourself. Your cousins friend did you a huge favor, you don't even seem to understand that.

Interesting Fact for you

The HR person for this company met me in 2009 and offered me the job but i declined because of a job that was closer to home. That same HR person received my resume in January of this year and was impressed and emailed to schedule a interview for a part-time job. So when she sees my name it will ring a bell because of the past experiences. And I wasn't selected in January because the women felt that I was too young and employable for a part time job and gave my resume to someone else who called for a informational interview. So I have a history with this company already before my cousin got involved in my job search life. And I check their website everyday and don't see anything that fits my background at this time unless it's a position that is not posted. So unless I get a interview out of all this what exactly am I supposed to be thankful for? I appreciate the assistance but if I don't get a face to face interview then what was the point of all this?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
this has happened to me several times, only one time it worked, the best job i ever had but the job doesn't exist anymore

Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Did you not read my experience in 1999? I clearly stated I never ever met HR and was hired for the position.

Her giving my resume to HR means that it's NO OPENINGS. And I'm not going to criticize my cousin's friend for not knowing anyone important because it was my cousin who approached her about me so she probably just felt pressured to make it look like she has some kind of pull in the company.

When I heard HR then I knew right away she was not friends with anyone important at the company.
Do you not realize that it's not 1999 any more? There is a new paradigm, you need to open your eyes to it. And you don't know who she is or is not friends with.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
When I saw HR in my email it just sounded like there wasn't any openings and that she just felt pressure to help me out because she is friends with my cousin. It would have been best if she just told my cousin that they are not hiring right now.
You are making a lot of assumptions. Just saying.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
My resume was "hand delivered" to the hiring manager about 12 years ago. I got the job.

Quote:

What your cousin did for you is actually how networking works (albeit PROFESSIONAL neworks is most effect) . What your aunt did for you 12 years ago was nepotism once removed.
Yup!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Interesting Fact for you

The HR person for this company met me in 2009 and offered me the job but i declined because of a job that was closer to home. That same HR person received my resume in January of this year and was impressed and emailed to schedule a interview for a part-time job. So when she sees my name it will ring a bell because of the past experiences. And I wasn't selected in January because the women felt that I was too young and employable for a part time job and gave my resume to someone else who called for a informational interview. So I have a history with this company already before my cousin got involved in my job search life. And I check their website everyday and don't see anything that fits my background at this time unless it's a position that is not posted. So unless I get a interview out of all this what exactly am I supposed to be thankful for? I appreciate the assistance but if I don't get a face to face interview then what was the point of all this?
Just because you don't get a piece of the birthday cake, you should still be grateful that you were invited to the party to begin with.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just because you don't get a piece of the birthday cake, you should still be grateful that you were invited to the party to begin with.

The only thing I have an issue with is it sounded like my cousin was begging her friend to see if her company has a job for me. That is not a good way to be mentioned.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
The only thing I have an issue with is it sounded like my cousin was begging her friend to see if her company has a job for me. That is not a good way to be mentioned.
Go look up the meaning of the word assume.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
So unless I get a interview out of all this what exactly am I supposed to be thankful for? I appreciate the assistance but if I don't get a face to face interview then what was the point of all this?
Someone did something nice for you. That is what you should be thankful for. What have you done for them?
Many people on this board would be grateful for a small opportunity like the one you received.

HR at this company might already "know" you, but you really think that you are on top of their list? The friend's referral brings your name back to the top of that list. Your "history" with them is as a former candidate...that is not that impressive. Now you are a former candidate who is a referral "X", which gives you an advantage in the future, if a position opens up and they see you as a fit.

If you have a problem with what your cousin did for you, please tell all your family, friends and network connections to not bother to help you unless they can guarantee you an in person interview. It would save them time and face from calling up and wasting favors on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search