U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,195,810 times

Advertisements

I got a peculiar email this morning. It was a response from one of my email resumes sent to a supposed company. The email, which had an @staffing.com type of email address was stating that the company was no longer hiring but that I could claim $500 for completing a short survey. I clicked on the link and the survey looked no different from those "YOU'VE WON A FREE iPAD!" scams. I'm sure the people here know what I'm talking about. The slick polished looking surveys advertising for everything from tobacco coupons to $1 credit reports asking for your name, email address, home address, phone number etc. I thought it might be somewhat legit until I was directed to the final stage of the survey which was asking for my social security number. That is way too personal. I would never give my social security number or credit card info to these scam surveys. My name, home phone number and home address are already easily accessible via the online white pages. But I am not letting my identity get voluntarily stolen by giving up more sensitive info. This is criminal. Sleazy people out there are taking full advantage that unemployed people are desperate for money and will fall for the $500 for the survey scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM

930 posts, read 1,642,127 times
Im sorry you feel violated but did you really think someone would pay you $500 for a survey? Really?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,195,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Im sorry you feel violated but did you really think someone would pay you $500 for a survey? Really?
Well, it is easy to forget that anonymous nature of craigslist could lead to such shady dealings. I have gotten about twenty legitimate interviews via craigslist. But this is a reminder that sending out resumes en masse is also a bad thing in the digital age. You are required to put your name, phone number and address on all your cover letters and resumes. You literally have no idea who you are sending dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of resumes to every week and month. The world we live in now is exponentially more Orwellian than our parents. The only info I gave up was my name, address and home phone which anyone can find online. Identity theft is becoming easier by the day. It is only going to get worse.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,907,517 times
I'll keep an eye out for this one.

I haven't encountered it yet.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM

65 posts, read 134,103 times
I've gotten this one probably five times in the last few months. I knew better than to click on the link, but some do not. More preying on people desperate for jobs and money, unfortunately.

Also, it's a good idea to have a separate resume for Craigslist- one that lacks some of the personal information you don't want scammers to have. You can explain in the email itself that you will provide further contact information upon contact, once you learn more about the company (ie figure out it's legit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search