U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I'd challenge you to come up with a process that help everybody to determine how a person would fit in a company's culture and he or she wouldn't have problem working with others.

Show me what you have. :-)

You will never know anyone's real personality during the interview anyway which is why the interview process has always been a joke. It's all about who can put on the BEST ACT and that's who get the job.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,618,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You will never know anyone's real personality during the interview anyway which is why the interview process has always been a joke. It's all about who can put on the BEST ACT and that's who get the job.
To expand on that, once you get the job, you never REALLY know any of your co-workers' personalities. Everyone acts fake at work.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM

18,970 posts, read 9,665,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
To expand on that, once you get the job, you never REALLY know any of your co-workers' personalities. Everyone acts fake at work.

Very true. But what if the candidate express the undesirable traits even at the interview?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
Quote:
Well that's only until you get to know some of them and develop a relationship. But to the people who are not close to you at work yes they will be fake

Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM

574 posts, read 611,969 times
Quote:
I've worked accounting jobs where I was accused of not being a team player and was treated like there was something wrong with me because I concentrated on my work and didn't socialize with the others. Go figure.

I have no idea why some companies want everyone to be buddy buddy with everyone. I always though the purpose of going to work was to work, not make friends with your co-workers.
I couldn't agree with this more. I've had jobs in the past where I was ridiculed just because I'm quiet and tend to keep to myself, despite the fact that my work and productivity were impeccable. I'm grateful to no longer be in that kind of environment.

I am an introvert, and I also don't like mixing work with my personal life. I've never been one to hang out after hours with co-workers. Sorry, but colleagues do not automatically become my close personal friends just because we work together. I am very good at my job, but I'm not one who participates in idle office chit chat. I think so many people don't understand those of us who don't socialize all the time because the majority of folks in the workplace are extroverts. They thrive on being around other people and many of them talk incessantly and think you're a complete weirdo if you don't talk much.

People often tend to ridicule anything that seems different to them instead of using it as a learning opportunity. Introverts are pretty much forced to learn about extroverts because they are the majority and we have to interact with them all the time. But many extroverts have no desire to take the time to truly learn about and understand introverts. They just make assumptions and judgments based on very limited knowledge. So if some perfectly nice introvert comes in and just wants to focus on their work instead of feigning interest in what their co-workers' plans are for the weekend or how their kid's soccer game went, then that person gets treated like something is wrong with him/her. More people need to accept that we are all different, and not being a perky chatty cheerleader does not mean that you won't be a good employee.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,625,390 times
As I posted, I do not expect a "perky" chatty person. I just expect someone who is willing to be friendly.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:30 PM

8,821 posts, read 13,319,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please define this "able to present themselves professionally while at the interview."

How can this be measured so that we can compare?

In addition, how can we measure the ability to work in a team?
Comes in punctually with appropriate attire, displays politeness, does not say inappropriate things in other words isn't a complete putz. If they cannot at least accomplish that then yea there is an obvious problem. Beyond that you really can't tell.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Comes in punctually with appropriate attire, displays politeness, does not say inappropriate things in other words isn't a complete putz. If they cannot at least accomplish that then yea there is a problem.
And by your definition, with some of the things OP has said, it would seem more than fair to believe OP would not meet your standards.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,070,335 times
I'm really undecided on these things I would agree interviews are somewhat non technical in nature but after working with a few difficult peopele I feel they are impt to weed out those who are absolutely miserable to work with who many people will avoid(which makes them less efficient) and some will even quit(I have considered it).
Plus when u say your interviewer couldn't do your job so she shouldn't be interviewing. If she could why would they need you?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Agreed. If the HR people can't do the tech jobs, and the techs absolutely can't hire for possibly other than tech positions, I am thinking BOTH are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or