U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 20,257 times

Advertisements

I am wrapping up a long job hunt and have some interesting observations:

1) 90% of the time when I am invited for an interview I was contacted by email instead of the phone. I found this very interesting and a lesson for people who have odd email addresses or do not check their email all that often.

2) More places than ever are doing phone screens (after making all the arrangements via email) that last from 20-40 minutes. The HR folks doing the screens have told me that they pick out 10-15 people try to talk to all of them over the phone and only bring in 3-5 for a face to face with the hiring manager. They said the phone screen was a way to eliminate people and the managers are seeing far fewer people than before.

3) All my rejection letters now come in via email vs the US Mail.

Are these observations your experience too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM

18,827 posts, read 9,620,636 times
Yes. :-)

Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM

22,710 posts, read 16,817,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internal-logic View Post

1) 90% of the time when I am invited for an interview I was contacted by email instead of the phone. I found this very interesting and a lesson for people who have odd email addresses or do not check their email all that often.

2) More places than ever are doing phone screens (after making all the arrangements via email) that last from 20-40 minutes. The HR folks doing the screens have told me that they pick out 10-15 people try to talk to all of them over the phone and only bring in 3-5 for a face to face with the hiring manager. They said the phone screen was a way to eliminate people and the managers are seeing far fewer people than before.

No. Any time I have actually gotten an interview, I was called on the phone to set it up. The only phone "screening" I had was an actual interview that was supposed to last 15 minutes but lasted almost an hour. It was from HR who IS the hiring manager. The reason the interview was done over the phone is because the job is an hour away from where I live.

IF I actually hear anything at all, 50% of rejections have been email, the other 50% have been via US Mail.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
I love the phone interview personally. It helps both parties. They can screen you without bringing you in, and helps you not having to take a day off of work.

I cannot stand having the first interview in person, solely because it can be a waste of everyone's time.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,893,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I love the phone interview personally. It helps both parties. They can screen you without bringing you in, and helps you not having to take a day off of work.

I cannot stand having the first interview in person, solely because it can be a waste of everyone's time.
I like phone interviews as well.

You're less nervous because the employer/interviewer isn't staring down your throat, and it's easier to use "prepared" answers.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:27 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,606,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internal-logic View Post

1. Not as high as 90%, but I have definitely received emails about jobs, or emails that had information on the next step, etc. So, current non bouncing email that you check matters.

2. Yes. I find that even calling the person back to set up the interview turns into a mini phone screen on the spot. I have definitely learned NEVER to call someone back from the grocery store, car, etc...as it seems to always turn into a phone screen.

3. About 50/50 for me. I find the ones I apply to through the internet job boards are more likely to have the email rejection whereas the ones I apply to, even still on the internet, directly through the company are less likely to be email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or