U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,752,733 times

Advertisements

I already have a BS in Marketing from one of the top business programs(not that it matters),3 internships and 3 years of regular administrative experience. However, I haven't found work after 2 years. So I was thinking I go back to college to pass the time and make connections. I really don't need to go to college to do the actual job, but I need connections and/or resume filler, and maybe this could be it? And maybe I will find a job in college, or some kind of lead to a real job and then I will just quit college and work that job or finish the rest of college part time through the years? I don't plan to take out a loan (i'm debt free from the first 4 years-i went on a scholarship and paid the rest myself), I will hope I can pay it myself or work study or my (online) store.

I'm getting a bit desperate and I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,943,740 times
You should only go back to College if you're earning a Master's Degree.

If you're able to pay for it without adding up debt, why not.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 PM

12,700 posts, read 14,085,775 times
Get a masters or learn an actual skill of some sort. Other than that, I would highly recommend getting out of a high COL location if you can bring yourself to do it. There are jobs elsewhere that have lower COL, because employers don't have to pay so much.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Get a masters or learn an actual skill of some sort. Other than that, I would highly recommend getting out of a high COL location if you can bring yourself to do it. There are jobs elsewhere that have lower COL, because employers don't have to pay so much.
whats COL? and a skill set? like a trade? I wouldn't mind going to trade school

Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM

113 posts, read 160,661 times
I would think that earning a Masters could only help you in the long run. If you are able to make some connections in college and possibly find some job opportunities through networking, then that could definitely help you as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:21 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,943,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
COL = Cost of Living.

NYC has a high cost of living (assuming you live in the city).

Old 08-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
COL = Cost of Living.

NYC has a high cost of living (assuming you live in the city).
oh i'm not there anymore, i'm in new orleans now, there was actually more opportunity there then here

Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM

12,700 posts, read 14,085,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
New york has a pretty high COL, depending on what part. I certainly wouldn't want to live there.

A skill set would be something that you can show up to the customer and do, no questions asked. Can you fix this, or can you make this, or can you DO...? Yes I can. Do the job and get paid. There are many such skill sets. Marketing is a lot of theory. Theory doesn't always pay the bills. When someone needs something fixed/made/serviced, I get to eat. That is a trade.

Going to trade school is fine and dandy, but at your age, you'll be likely competing with immigrants who have been doing their trade since 18 or before. It takes a good bit of time and experience until you can make decent money at a trade. You're paid based on what you can do, not on potential. But trades do offer good opportunity to those who stick with them and take them seriously. Just gotta pick what interests you.

Ironically, you are an "artist" by your title who would like a profession. I am a professional tradesman who would like to be a musical artist someday... Food for thought I suppose. Keep your mind open, the world has a lot to offer if you are receptive.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
New york has a pretty high COL, depending on what part. I certainly wouldn't want to live there.

A skill set would be something that you can show up to the customer and do, no questions asked. Can you fix this, or can you make this, or can you DO...? Yes I can. Do the job and get paid. There are many such skill sets. Marketing is a lot of theory. Theory doesn't always pay the bills. When someone needs something fixed/made/serviced, I get to eat. That is a trade.

Going to trade school is fine and dandy, but at your age, you'll be likely competing with immigrants who have been doing their trade since 18 or before. It takes a good bit of time and experience until you can make decent money at a trade. You're paid based on what you can do, not on potential. But trades do offer good opportunity to those who stick with them and take them seriously. Just gotta pick what interests you.

Ironically, you are an "artist" by your title who would like a profession. I am a professional tradesman who would like to be a musical artist someday... Food for thought I suppose. Keep your mind open, the world has a lot to offer if you are receptive.
oh i'm not an artist , i just liked a song called les artistes so i made myself l'artiste ..however i do photography (and i get contact from jobs in nyc for commission-too bad i'm not there) for a hobby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search