U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:41 PM

16 posts, read 31,129 times

Advertisements

So I went on a job interview about four weeks ago. l I felt both interviews went pretty well that day. I got compliments on some of my answers, one of the interviewers said it was nice to talk to some who had experience, and it seemed like both were smiling and really interested in what I had to say. At the end, I was told that they had more interviews the next day but would have made a decision by the end of that week and would respond either way by the next week as well.
So it's been four weeks and I have not heard anything. I read some internet post on their hiring process and they said you needed to follow up. So I called the recruiter from their regional office in detroit, she was the one that sent me the email earlier to take an assesment test before that interview. She said she needed to follow up with them and would get back to me but I havent heard anything. A person that holds the same position told me it took them a month to call him back for a second interview when he was hired and that he aid i would have been contacted already if they were not interested. It really seems like a long process, in fact I applied for this position back in the beginning of june but didnt get a call until august.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
from experience

every job I was offered or invited for a 2nd interview it was always less than a week

every job I interviewed for and didn't hear anything after 2 weeks I never was offered the job or a invited to a 2nd interview

Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM

22,707 posts, read 16,813,625 times
This is not always the case.

Some companies do take awhile. A person I know who used to work at a particularly highly sought out company said it took him THREE months after his interview to get hired. It doesn't always happen in one week.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:41 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,040,215 times
There can be a long wait time, especially if the company is larger, it can take a month or 2 to get hired on after an initial in person interview.

Unless you were already given a specific time frame as a guideline, I would follow up in about a week or so if you don't get any response from your contacts.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
I had a 3-4 week wait between an interview and an offer. I had written them off and was shocked to get the offer because I had missed a few answers on some technical questions so I figured I blew it.

Another job I didn't hear back for 2-3 months. Then they called me for another quick interview and i was hired. In this case the first pick candidate was hired and didn't work out. I was the 2nd choice.

You never really know.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 AM

2,370 posts, read 4,497,697 times
Did you get any contact information from the actual interviewers? At this point, I would bypass the recruiter as they don't seem in any hurry to follow up with them.

I don't think it would hurt at this point to call the company and say "I interviewed for position x about a month or so ago and haven't heard back, can you tell me if the position has been filled?" That's a lot better than twisting in the wind wondering what is going on.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM

18,800 posts, read 9,617,882 times
Assume it is over and move on with your life.

I have seen the process dragging on over 4 months but it was for a director position. The higher up you are, the longer the process can be.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:59 PM

16 posts, read 31,129 times
Well its for a District Manager position within a very large corporation. During the interview, it was stated that they would contact us by the following week, but the person I know who is a District Manager told me it took them a month to call him back and he said i would have been contacted already if I was not moving forward.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,128,818 times
I've seen all extremes.

I've been offered a job (basic accounting) at the end of the interview and asked to start the next morning.

On the other hand, my spouse was offered his current job (IT manager) so long after the interview that he had literally forgotten he had even applied for it. It was at least three months, possibly longer.

Based on my limited experience and that of my family, generally the smaller a company is, the quicker they're likely to move in hiring decisions. The larger they are, the more layers of bureaucracy seem to be in place between interview and offer. And in a few cases, a long delay between interview and offer turned out to be a warning of an extremely chaotic, disorganized and understaffed employer.

In your case, the person you know with actual experience is probably your best guide. It sounds like you still have a chance, hopefully a good one. Good luck to you.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM

18,800 posts, read 9,617,882 times
I wouldn't be surprised that it will take a while. 2-3 months would be normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search