U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM

23 posts, read 87,043 times

Advertisements

The only work experience I have currently is retail, was with Target for just shy of 3 years. I graduated high school back in 2008, started working around the end of 2009, and did a bit of schooling towards the end of 2010, but that really didn't work out for me (went to The Art Institute, big mistake I know, for graphic design and quickly decided that wasn't what I wanted to do). That's really all I have going for me currently, my resume is pretty bare bones (I do plan to give it a complete reworking, and get I know I need to get a cover letter done as well) as I've only really got my high school and my previous job (singular) on it. My references are also rather weak, don't really have any I would call professional, certainly none from fellow coworkers (especially since most of my coworkers were people I was already friends with or went to school with) or bosses. I really only have a couple friends that happen to own their own business that I've known for many years. I do plan to go back to school at some point, I realize that is important, especially the way things are nowadays, but with my current living situation it is much more important that I have a steady source of income first and foremost.

I mentioned in another thread that I've been sending applications most anywhere, primarily other retail outlets as that is where the bulk of my experience is. Now I was terminated from my last job, it's a long story, but basically I was terminated due to days I was late (I moved out of my old home last year and commuting to work became a major issue for me due to my crap pay, low hours, high gas prices, and distance) and a couple of no-call no-shows (both of which I feel were mistakes, especially the one that actually got me terminated as I KNOW I called out that day, and the fact that Target tried to dispute my unemployment claim, which I won out on I think agrees with me on this), and I do feel that is likely hampering me to some degree, why wouldn't it? Still, I feel that this is my best chance at finding work.

I applied not too long ago at a used book store at the local mall. Was down there the weekend after I applied and talked to the people working at the time, one of whom was the manager. Made a pretty good impression with them I think, the manager said she had to speak with the owner the following day anyways and so she'd check up on my application for me. About a week after that I was back at the mall looking for places that were hiring so I decided to check up at the book store, see if any word came back from the owner. Same manager was working so I made a bit of small talk prior to asking how it went with the owner. She told me that he said that sales there aren't so great right now so they can't hire on anyone else at this time. However she did tell me that there is another gal working there that's not really performing to a satisfactory level, and that she's more or less on her way out. And that they are definitely keeping me in mind. So after that I spent the next hour or so just talking with her, mostly about books and movies and such, getting a good back and forth conversation. Hoping for the best there. Haven't been back since then, figure if I'm just waiting on someone to lose their job I rather not keep stopping by to see if it's happened yet.

I've considered looking into getting work at an office somewhere, the whole classic 9-5 cubicle kinda job, being a paper pusher, working on the computer for some big corporation or small business, just something like that. But I honestly have no idea how to even remotely begin looking for that kind of work, if my qualifications are up to what they would be looking for, or anything really.

Guess what I'm asking is just some general opinions on my situation. Suggestions of how to proceed, where to look, if that book store thing sounds promising, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,769,127 times
Bookstore thing does not sound promising to me. Keep looking. Why don't you try other stores of the Target variety? At least your experience is consistent with that. Many of those big stores do offer management training programs, although you have to be sort of invited, which means working really hard and never, ever being out with calling in. So if you are very responsible and extremely hard-working, then you do have a chance to move up in retail.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,611,980 times
I agree the bookstore thing sounds like a no go. You should have had major red flags when they were willing to tell you that an employee was on the way out. You know how you feel bad going back knowing there is a termination on the way? You should not know that.

Also, you are going to have issues with the approach you are giving to the whole Target thing...the commute, gas, and low wages are not the company's fault, they made an employment offer, you accepted it...so trying to say you had issues getting to work due to the commute (you made the choice to live where you did) the gas (agian you made the choice to live where you did) and the wages (you took the job at those wages) is not going to make you all that attractive to the hiring manager. So the issue of being terminated for tardiness and a no call no show is the most problematic.

Personally, I would not hire you with that in your background. And I know most retail hiring managers will likely feel the same way (I am not in retail now, but I was for 10 years), and attendance is an issue in retail and with a number of retail employees. It is actually one of the most common termination reasons. So I am not going to hire someone who has already demonstrated issues with tardiness and not showing up. I would already deal with that issue from an employee, the last thing I would need is to know going in that I was going to deal with it in a new employee.

I think you need to spend some time in a volunteer capacity and then get a reference from the coordinator of the volunteer group. If you start showing up there, and on time, when it is "only" a volunteer position, it is possible that you will manage to make the whole attendance thing at Target sound like an issue in the past.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Bookstore thing does not sound promising to me. Keep looking.
I agree, and I would not want to work in a place where the manager will discuss what should be confidential personnel matters with a complete stranger job applicant.

In order to start in the corporate office world, at the very least you will have to be proficient at Microsoft Office products, including Windows 7, Outlook, excel, Powerpoint, and in most places Visio, Sharepoint and OneNote. Don't try to apply without these skills, as they will most likely ask questions to determine the truth and may even test you.

Retail has a high turnover, and if you can use Target as experience on your resume without mentioning the firing, you do have retail experience. Perhaps as college students go back next month there will be more openings.

Good luck.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 AM

I'm kinda curious why the thing with the book store doesn't seem promising. Things seemed to be going well, honestly the hope of that working out was one of the few things keeping me sane.

I do have Target on my resume, just the start and end dates, nothing referencing that I was terminated, but when just about every application I do asks why I left my last job (especially if they have a drop down menu with reasons) I kinda have to put it down as such.

And with the reason behind my termination, I do know that ultimately it was my own fault. But I was stuck, I moved out of necessity just shy of 2 years with Target and that greatly impacted a lot of things in my life. I used to live about 5 minutes from the place, that changed to a 30+ minute commute depending on traffic. Was my first job, got it through a hiring fair (was for a brand new location) I really couldn't do any kind of negotiation. And hours for everyone but the higher ups at Target have been terrible. I read and infrequently post on a Target TM forum and I've seen people there saying that they are getting scheduled for 3 hour shifts on occasion now.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM

..anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search