U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:27 AM

9 posts, read 48,621 times

Advertisements

This is not a race discussion thread. Im looking for legit information, and I really need this job, so keep this clean.
I apologize ahead of time if this may offend some, but im really at rock bottom and need this opportunity.

OK, to start off Im 100% White American, of British African origin (Zimbabwean) and Polish origin (Chicago).

However, I have an ethnic look to me (dat dere Polish/Turk/Mongol admixture combined with black Irish genetics gives me a strong Latin look), so that combined with my families background/heritage have two choices I can get away with to help Affirmitive Action requirements.

Two or More Races Or Hispanic or Latino

For starters, which option do you think will best get me the job? Thats probably most important. Is there like a racial food chain whwn it comes to AA benefits?

Second, do you think they (keep in mind this is a government job) will perform a racial/family tree check? Is there even a way to do this?

If yes, I have it planned to check Two or More Races due to my dad's side of the family's history in BOTH Zimbabwe AND Jamaica (where my father is at now). Any sort of "family tree" check will show history in Zimbabwe and Jamaica, making it very easy to say im part black way down the line (it still counts and theresno way they cant prove it regardless of how I look-that I do know).

However, (if they dont perform any formal family tree checks) it is much more convenient due to my appearence and location (in Miami) to check Hispanic or Latino. My (fake) story would be my mothers side (of Polish descent) is Brazilian. Southern Brazil is nearly all Polish immigrants, just like Chicago, and here in Miami we have tons of southern Brazil ex-pats and tourists, making it very convenient for me to check, and more believable to the employer with less head scratching (again, if theres no sort of formal ethnicity/family tree check- if one even exists).

Does the government/employers check up on these sort of things? Which should I check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,297,826 times
I'm African American, have been applying to federal jobs for a year, and I haven't even gotten an interview even though I scored high on a few exams. Veterans' preference is key. Checking a certain ethnicity will not help you.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,015,443 times
You are white. Period. Depending on the job, it may involve an extensive background check. If discovered, falsification will result in your termination. Think about that.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 AM

1,888 posts, read 7,152,923 times
I'm not quite sure I follow how you are justifying using all of those ethnic combinations by starting your statement with "I'm 100% white". I understand the logic you're trying to use, but have you considered that (with the same reasoning) if they met this "quota" for x number of applicants from a particular background, you would be out of luck. I'd leave it blank, but if it's required, then answer how you typically identify yourself sans trickery.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow how you are justifying using all of those ethnic combinations by starting your statement with "I'm 100% white". I understand the logic you're trying to use, but have you considered that (with the same reasoning) if they met this "quota" for x number of applicants from a particular background, you would be out of luck. I'd leave it blank, but if it's required, then answer how you typically identify yourself sans trickery.
Well mixed races (outside "Hispanic or Latino") is pretty rare and harder to fill, so maybe I should just check Two or More Races.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm African American, have been applying to federal jobs for a year, and I haven't even gotten an interview even though I scored high on a few exams. Veterans' preference is key. Checking a certain ethnicity will not help you.
True, ive been told this before, as well as disabled/handicap preference. Good luck to you.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,932,577 times
It's not going to help you either way. Hiring managers don't get the EEO documents in federal applications.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM

930 posts, read 1,642,127 times
Are you a veteran?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,907,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
It's not going to help you either way. Hiring managers don't get the EEO documents in federal applications.
I believe they get it if the applicant chooses not to provide that information.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 AM

15,576 posts, read 13,563,771 times
Checking the boxes means nothing in way of employment. No one will see what you are, and they are not even allowed to see the EEO data during the hiring process.

All the EEO data is for is to measure the employer's (this case the gov) outreach and recruiting efforts to different groups, and adjust as required if there is a weakness in a group by way of availability (very simplified explanation).

Checking the boxes does net you any advantage as the hiring authorities do nto see this information, they are not allowed to.

No, the gov does not check on these things, however, if you checked something else on records before and the gov comes across those records, obviously that is going to arouse questions; see Elizabeth Warren for details.

Troll post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or