Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 33,825 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed for an admin. assistant position. I am overqualified for this position but I have been unemployed for about 5 months so I desperately need work. When I interviewed with the manager she was very personable and nice that I felt like I had the job. Anyway, when she asked me about my salary range I lowballed the number because I assumed that would make her more likely to hire me. Fast forward to a week later she informed me she hired someone else. I'm assuming she hired someone who was willing to take EVEN LESS than I was willing to take.

Today she called me and said that things have been moved around and she would like me to come in tomorrow to meet the rest of the team (I had already met a few of them during my first interview). Anyway, I want to be prepared tomorrow should she offer me the position. In doing my research of similar positions in the area I should be getting $3k more. How should I approach this tomorrow should this arise?

I have read a number of articles online and they mentioned that I should first determine if/what sort of benefits/ paid time off, etc would be offered. However, despite the benefits offered, I still believe I deserve more. Would it be uncouth of me to suggest something like " I know in the first interview we tossed around a few numbers. However, after researching my position the average starting salary for this position here in .... is $xx,xxx. Is that feasible with this company?" I think that sounds reasonable. I don't want to ruffle any feathers but i also want to get what I deserve.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,489 times
What city is this job in? With any job it depends on the area you will be working in as well as the cost of living for the surrounding area.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 33,825 times
The number that I originally stated is below the avg. city income. The number that I will be putting forth tomorrow should she offer the position, is based on national salary data of the average bilingual admin. assistant in this city. This second number is $3-4k more than I gave in the first interview.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
I would not be offended by that approach. It may or may not do you any good. We have a starting rate or a pretty narrow pay window; if your request is within our window and we think you are worth more than the starting pay we offered, we will consider bringing you in at more money. That said, we are not concerned that Company A down the road pays X amount of dollars more per year for an easy to fill position and we would not deviate outside of OUR pay range because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search