U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,916,295 times

Advertisements

Why not go through it?

What do you have to lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM

22,822 posts, read 16,883,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
I am scheduled to interview at a well known large research organization next week and they sent me a list of everyone I am going to talk to. The position I am applying to is called Knowledge Manager.

Anyway I am scheduled to talk to 12 different people over a six hour period. I start at 10 AM and end at 4 PM. Most of the interviews are for 30 minutes, just one person after another will come to the conference room to interview me. NO LUNCH BREAK or any break at all.

It is incredible what people have to do to get a job now days. The lady in Human Resources told me they are doing the six hours of interviews with five different candidates (out of250 that applied) and then the top two finalists will have their professional references checked (they needed 6) and then will be responsible for doing a number of "in basket exercises" during another full day of candidate review.

What do you think? Would you go through all this for a $60K job? Have you ever had to talk to that many people to get a job and go through an in basket exercises too.
Yes. Yes I would.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,049,893 times
60k is a liveable wage even in NYC.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM

4,569 posts, read 4,745,665 times
very similar to what I went through a couple weeks ago. I interviewed with 17 people between 8:45 AM-4:30 PM.

I did have lunch with three individuals (although each of them did interview me as well sometime during the day as well).

It gives you a good idea of who you would be working with as well. Instead of meeting with 1-2 people you get to meet with most of them.

I would definitely do it.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM

4,825 posts, read 6,153,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
IF i was using your moniker, yes.
I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I would agree with you 100%. If I were the OP I would go ahead with it. Have a big breakfast, take snacks and bottled water with you. If someone is really broke and unemployed they must have a lot of free time on their hands. Why not spend that time doing an all day interview instead of sitting in front of the TV at home.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:32 AM

101 posts, read 278,033 times
I am going to do it and will bring the energy bars and hope they at least offer me a sandwich for five minutes. I look at it as an adventure but traditionally do not sleep the night before an interview being so nervous and wired. But if you are jobless and broke beggers are not chosers.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,550,536 times
Gut response, no. But then again for me, it depends upon the company "name". Some big name companies have pretty intense screening processes and several rounds (usually 3 or 4) and can take several weeks or MONTHS to get through. So, if it was a target company I *wanted* to work for and that was how they interview, then I would do it. As for the $60K? For me, no. But that is just related to my income history and my recruiters know better than to send me to a job at that pay level. However, everyone's financial situation is different and $60K could very well be more than acceptable for someone else.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,162,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
very similar to what I went through a couple weeks ago. I interviewed with 17 people between 8:45 AM-4:30 PM.

I did have lunch with three individuals (although each of them did interview me as well sometime during the day as well).

It gives you a good idea of who you would be working with as well. Instead of meeting with 1-2 people you get to meet with most of them.

I would definitely do it.
I forget who said it but there was a book where someone said they took candidates out to lunch whenever possible. Their idea was that they learned more about the person in how they treated waiters and such than their canned interview answers.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,551,127 times
of course you do it. If your not willing theres plenty of people who are. I agree bring some small snacks with you. Im sure you'll have certain times where your just waiting. Most likely they will have a lunch time for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or