U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 PM

419 posts, read 710,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Since i graduated from school, I have applied for approximately 450 jobs that i have been realistically qualified for. I have had one interview.

How many resumes are other people sending out before you start getting a decent number of interviews? Even in this economy, 450 applications seems like a high number to yield only one interview. Are other people out there applying for thousands of jobs? Or should i be spending more time networking, finding a recruiter, etc... and not spend so much time on sheer volume of applications?

Thanks!
I don't think that's a good ratio but I think depending on your field, skills, experience, and tailoring of resume, it's not altogether unexpected or impossible to yield those numbers. Still, numbers like that might mean you need to review your resume, and or go super personal aka different approach.

I assume you just graduated....I'd say if you're applying to things strictly related to your degree and you have no experience or internship in your field (and the field isn't the type with super hard-line skills), you're ratio likely isn't going to be good in general though. Barring certain accelerating characteristics on your resume outside work that scream "I excel", applying when you have a lack of experience to anything but positions that denote limited experience is going to be a long shot. I'm talking strictly about professional jobs. The higher up the harder. That said, I think a kick ass cover letter can sway things a little if they're not demanding too much experience right from the gates. By sway things I mean at least give you an interview.

Edit: To be honest, when i was applying to stuff in my field while still in school , I probably had numbers near that bad. it was more like 1/175 for blind applying, and 1/2 for professors suggested put you directly on stuff. On the other hand, when I applied to stuff I had experience with not related to my degree, the return was like 1 out of 6 at worst. Experience makes a huge difference when it comes to "blind applying". Point being, don't falter at the 400 mark. You could maybe be looking at 5 times that many applications...

Last edited by criminaljusticegrad; 08-22-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
I don't think that's not a good ratio. I assume you just graduated. Assuming that's true, I think depending on your field, skills, experience, and tailoring of resume, it's not altogether unexpected or impossible to yield those numbers. Still, numbers like that might mean you need to review your resume, and or go super personal aka different approach. I'd say if you're applying to things strictly related to your degree and you have no experience or internship in your field (and the field isn't the type with super hard-line skills), you're ratio likely isn't going to be good. I'd say barring certain accelerating characteristics on your resume outside work that scream "I excel", applying when you have a lack of experience to anything but positions that denote limited experience is going to be a long shot. I'm talking strictly about professional jobs though. That said, I think a kick ass cover letter can sway things a little if they're not demanding too much experience right from the gates.

I agree, I think 3 times i sent a Cover letter without a resume and they wanted me to call so they can find out more.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM

42,677 posts, read 44,333,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When I wake up and don't see any messages on my phone that's always a bad start to my day. I don't check my phone until 12pm and when I see zero messages I get a attitude-lol I don't know why because I have gotten calls for interviews after 1pm so it's not like the day is over
I check every day my email. And Phone. I wish they would hurry up!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

I only had one company set up a interview through email which was back in January. Also one time back in 2009 my interview was set up through email. So I'm never expecting to be contacted by email.

This one company I want to work for so bad posted another job today that is similar to my last job but

1. They only like to hire employed people

2. The interview process has 3 phases, phone, 1st face to face, 2nd face to face

Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM

42,677 posts, read 44,333,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I only had one company set up a interview through email which was back in January. Also one time back in 2009 my interview was set up through email. So I'm never expecting to be contacted by email.

This one company I want to work for so bad posted another job today that is similar to my last job but

1. They only like to hire employed people

2. The interview process has 3 phases, phone, 1st face to face, 2nd face to face
Ugh! Bummer. I applied to good companies and crappy entry level companies. It really seems it's who you know not what you know. I have been given out business cards and I'm on two websites. Heck I even put some works on this site.

They say when the time is right you will find the perfect job. Here's to (HOPING)

Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Ugh! Bummer. I applied to good companies and crappy entry level companies. It really seems it's who you know not what you know. I have been given out business cards and I'm on two websites. Heck I even put some works on this site.

They say when the time is right you will find the perfect job. Here's to (HOPING)

Yup it's all about TIMING. What really sucks is when a 3 day holiday weekend rolls around which is the worst for a unemployed person because that's 4 days that you know your phone won't have messages.

The Friday before Labor day u might as well consider that a off day so it will be a 4 day weekend and have to wait until the following Tuesday.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:

I have 2 inside contacts for the company I want to work for but neither of them make the hiring decision. The person who makes the final decision is in Michigan which is the headquarters. The only thing I was able to do was get a phone interview because the one inside contact received my resume and gave it to the onsite recruiter who is my other inside contact.

Other than that you have to apply for the job on the company website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or