U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM

4,194 posts, read 2,487,108 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a job as I am retiring. One thing I have noticed is you need to watch your use of acronyms. Explain it once, then you can use it. But dont fill up a resume with acronyms.
I agree with the email. It should be a professional one, ie joedsmith@gmail.com. Not froghopper2@yahoo.com.
Say what you have done with examples, Managed forty five people, supervised thirty personel, for example.
Be specific to the job, or relate it as well as possible, you are applying for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM

18,798 posts, read 9,614,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So basically, you advocate lying.

Just tell them upfront that you're willing to relocate at your own expense in the cover letter. It's simple as that. If they really want to hire you, I don't see why they can't live with that.

Why go through the trouble of all the other stuff with PostNet and Google Voice? Then if you tell them their real location, you'll begin sliding down a slippery slope. Eventually, they'll wonder why did you give them a fake number. Finally, they'll just lose all trust in you altogether and pass you up for the next candidate.
You are twisting what I try to tell you. I am trying to help here.

First of all, companies typically hire people from local market. Why would they look at anybody that is out of state or even country?

Secondly, if you plan to move yourself, your location should not be a factor in the hiring decision, right? So why do you provide that info to disqualify yourself?

Thirdly, it's not a fake number because you are planning to move.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:58 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,862,814 times
Quote:
So basically, you advocate lying.

Just tell them upfront that you're willing to relocate at your own expense in the cover letter. It's simple as that. If they really want to hire you, I don't see why they can't live with that.

Why go through the trouble of all the other stuff with PostNet and Google Voice? Then if you tell them their real location, you'll begin sliding down a slippery slope. Eventually, they'll wonder why did you give them a fake number. Finally, they'll just lose all trust in you altogether and pass you up for the next candidate.
Yeah not gonna work! Your resume goes in the trash if they want someone local and you're not. You can go on and on in your cover letter about how you plan to relocate, how your family lives there, how it is your dream to be there...trash. When you have 100 resumes you have to start eliminating somewhere, location may not be the first place to start, but it isn't last on the list either...chances are you won't make the top 10.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I generally hire for business development, sales, and marketing types of positions, so I look for different things than someone hiring for an I/T position might. Whether I'll consider an out of area applicant depends on the position. For a marketing coordinator, if they aren't within a 30-40 minute drive they are out of the running immediately. For a sales position I would absolutely consider someone who lived in the territory I'm hiring for, but I'm not hiring a guy from CA to work in NY.

1. If your cover letter doesn't grab my attention, I'm not even looking at your resume.
2. It's got to be readable. If I have to work at reading it due to poor formatting or some weird font, I'm not going to bother.
3. If it's got a typo or poor grammar, it goes into the reject pile. It will also get rejected for having an email address like "xoxoloveybabygirlxoxo@hotmail.com" or "sandimashighschoolfootballrules@hotmail.com".
4. Next I look for experience. It has to be a transferable skill set, it doesn't have to be exact, and I prefer to hire outside of the existing industry labor pool.
5. Next is job stability, I don't want to see "job hoppers." If the hopping was due to reasons beyond the applicants control (layoffs, former employers closing) address it in the cover and I'm OK with it.
6. Next is everything else. I'm happy to substitute experience for education.

Basically you've got five seconds with your cover letter to suck me in and then five seconds with your resume to make me want to continue reading. If you haven't engaged me in that amount of time, it's over. Keep in mind--sales, marketing, business development. Immediate impact or forget it.
This is interesting and also gives me hope. I'm sure you know how many people don't even bother with a cover, or write something like "higher me please, need to pay rent!" The unprofessional email address I don't understand at all, as font and formatting. At least I know I got the first 3 down for sure, so it comes down to experience/education.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are twisting what I try to tell you. I am trying to help here.

First of all, companies typically hire people from local market. Why would they look at anybody that is out of state or even country?

Secondly, if you plan to move yourself, your location should not be a factor in the hiring decision, right? So why do you provide that info to disqualify yourself?

Thirdly, it's not a fake number because you are planning to move.
No, you're TELLING them you plan to move. It's still a fake number until you actually move (especially if they find out you don't actually live there), thus you're technically lying. Then you run into the aforementioned slippery slope.

You really think someone's going to uproot their family from a location if they don't have a job or at least 6 months worth of savings for living expenses?

Besides, if the person has a skill set the employer can't do without, I don't understand why location would be a problem.

But I'm just applying common sense to a convoluted situation, which is a mistake.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
No, you're TELLING them you plan to move. It's still a fake number until you actually move (especially if they find out you don't actually live there), thus you're technically lying. Then you run into the aforementioned slippery slope.

You really think someone's going to uproot their family from a location if they don't have a job or at least 6 months worth of savings for living expenses?

Besides, if the person has a skill set the employer can't do without, I don't understand why location would be a problem.

But I'm just applying common sense to a convoluted situation, which is a mistake.
Yes, but many of us don't fit into this category.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Yes, but many of us don't fit into this category.
So like I said, you guys are basically advocating that people lie to find out-of-state (or out-of-city) jobs.

Yet if we get caught in the lie, you wouldn't want to touch us with a 6-foot pole, despite advising us to lie.

Catch-22, no?

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-17-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM

156 posts, read 280,579 times
This is a vicious cycle, you have everyone saying "if you want a job you need to be willing to move!" but of course, companies at this point refuse to hire anyone from out of the area, even if they are not asking for relocation assistance, plan to move, and so on. I personally am not going to move somewhere without a job lined up. It's expensive to move in the first place, and it can take months to find a job in a new area, even if you have thousands saved up. Like I said, it's a vicious cycle.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM

434 posts, read 584,926 times
Quote:
I start:

1. location - if the candidate is out of state or out of country, I'll pass.
2. Education or relevant skills
3. Employment history - the length of education If someone jumps every 2 years or less, I start to worry
4. Format, content and grammar of the resume
5. After that, I look for additional education (certificate) or any progression in the employment history

If you are not HR, recruiter or hiring manager or having experience hiring people, please feel free to ask questions but I'd appreciate you keep your opinion to yourself.
I find it highly ironic that you, rightly so, mention grammar as an important part of a resume, yet the grammar in your post is really poor. I realize that your post is not a resume, but....

Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 PM

22,707 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
You should read the several hundred posts in this forum and around CD that tell people to "relocate" for work or to "have a job lined up before they move".

Next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or