Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

I start:

1. location - if the candidate is out of state or out of country, I'll pass.
2. Education or relevant skills
3. Employment history - the length of education If someone jumps every 2 years or less, I start to worry
4. Format, content and grammar of the resume
5. After that, I look for additional education (certificate) or any progression in the employment history

If you are not HR, recruiter or hiring manager or having experience hiring people, please feel free to ask questions but I'd appreciate you keep your opinion to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 PM

30,250 posts, read 23,719,256 times
How nice.

Your very first item goes against all the advice to "have you considered moving to find a job" and "have a job lined up before you move" and "you may have to relocate for a job" and "you're not spreading yourself out far enough for a job".

Bravo! You've just confused the crap out of those who are trying anything to get a job!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM

114 posts, read 239,700 times
If a recruiter calls you about a finance job and you do not have a degree in finance should you just assume its Series 6 related and skip the interview??

Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How nice.

Your very first item goes against all the advice to "have you considered moving to find a job" and "have a job lined up before you move" and "you may have to relocate for a job" and "you're not spreading yourself out far enough for a job".

Bravo! You've just confused the crap out of those who are trying anything to get a job!
You should read this thread. :-)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...elocation.html

Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So basically, you advocate lying.

Just tell them upfront that you're willing to relocate at your own expense in the cover letter. It's simple as that. If they really want to hire you, I don't see why they can't live with that.

Why go through the trouble of all the other stuff with PostNet and Google Voice? Then if you tell them their real location, you'll begin sliding down a slippery slope. Eventually, they'll wonder why did you give them a fake number. Finally, they'll just lose all trust in you altogether and pass you up for the next candidate.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
What software/program is used to screen the resume', prior to a HR person actually looking at it?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
What software/program is used to screen the resume', prior to a HR person actually looking at it?
There are several different programs companies use, but Taleo is the most common program...

Talent Management Software - Talent Intelligence | Taleo

Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 AM

101 posts, read 353,444 times
The recruiters I work with tell me the biggest mistake that most applicants make is they list the routine tasks they did in their previous job instead of describing their accomplishments, achievements and results. Also, people send resumes that attempt to be catch all for any type of job instead of a targeted marketing document that is related to the specific position opening.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Also, people send resumes that attempt to be catch all for any type of job instead of a targeted marketing document that is related to the specific position opening.
Probably the most common reason that I toss a resume. It shows that a person is too lazy to make the resume specific to the job, or is just sending out a bunch of them for anything that comes along. I want to see that the person wants this job. I will disagree with the OP on the out-of-state resume. I will still consider it and offer an interview if they are willing to come at their expense, and may even do a preliminary phone interview if the resume is in the top 5. I have had several that agreed to interviews from out of state but never showed, but it's still worth a try if it looks like the person could be the best.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I generally hire for business development, sales, and marketing types of positions, so I look for different things than someone hiring for an I/T position might. Whether I'll consider an out of area applicant depends on the position. For a marketing coordinator, if they aren't within a 30-40 minute drive they are out of the running immediately. For a sales position I would absolutely consider someone who lived in the territory I'm hiring for, but I'm not hiring a guy from CA to work in NY.

1. If your cover letter doesn't grab my attention, I'm not even looking at your resume.
2. It's got to be readable. If I have to work at reading it due to poor formatting or some weird font, I'm not going to bother.
3. If it's got a typo or poor grammar, it goes into the reject pile. It will also get rejected for having an email address like "xoxoloveybabygirlxoxo@hotmail.com" or "sandimashighschoolfootballrules@hotmail.com".
4. Next I look for experience. It has to be a transferable skill set, it doesn't have to be exact, and I prefer to hire outside of the existing industry labor pool.
5. Next is job stability, I don't want to see "job hoppers." If the hopping was due to reasons beyond the applicants control (layoffs, former employers closing) address it in the cover and I'm OK with it.
6. Next is everything else. I'm happy to substitute experience for education.

Basically you've got five seconds with your cover letter to suck me in and then five seconds with your resume to make me want to continue reading. If you haven't engaged me in that amount of time, it's over. Keep in mind--sales, marketing, business development. Immediate impact or forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search