U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,909,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It is silly.

I suppose next they're going to demand a tour of my bedroom just to land a job.

It's an invasion of privacy, and what I do in my private life should have absolutely no bearing on my professional work.
I'll do you one better.

I think job candidates should pull down their pants (or pull up their skirt) so the interviewer can check their undies and make sure there are no skidmarks on their drawers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That sounds like something out of "Hoarders" on TV.

And I'm sure cars like that are RARE enough that they shouldn't be worried about on a daily basis when hiring people.

How many of them have you actually seen in real life:

When out in public, not snooping on a job candidate?

When snooping in your parking lot around a job candidate's car?
I have a friend (who is undergoing treatment for hoarding and OCD) whose car used to look like that. I used to work with a guy whose car looked like that (he was also a slob and showered once a week--maybe.) I had a neighbor 20 years ago whose car looked like that--their apartment was also disgusting. I've seen cars parked in parking lots that you couldn't help but notice the piles of crap all over the place half blocking the windows as you walked by. Unfortunately it's not as rare as you think.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I came to an interview a month ago, and it was the most disgusting place I ever saw. I was afraid to sit on the chair and put my folder on the conference table. I wanted to run out of there.

There were layers of dirt that were visible on dark gray. There was dust and clutter and stains. The interviewer looked clean. Would I have accepted an offer from this schmo? NOT ON YOUR LIFE. I don't want bedbugs or other diseases. He couldn't pay me enough. I didn't care if he was a superstar from Hollywood.
I don't blame you!

Obviously, you wouldn't want to spend 8 hours a day in that place.

However, an interviewer never has to set foot in a job candidate's car.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have a friend (who is undergoing treatment for hoarding and OCD) whose car used to look like that. I used to work with a guy whose car looked like that (he was also a slob and showered once a week--maybe.) I had a neighbor 20 years ago whose car looked like that--their apartment was also disgusting. I've seen cars parked in parking lots that you couldn't help but notice the piles of crap all over the place half blocking the windows as you walked by. Unfortunately it's not as rare as you think.
I live in the suburbs and have a car. When I'm out and about driving, I am going to pay attention to people's cars in parking lots and see if I see any of this. I cannot say I have noticed it, but I was never specifically looking either.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,863,689 times
Quote:
I've known at least 3 people who were hoarders. Also, someone in my family was one. I'm not talking about a cup of coffee in a car or pen mark. With some people, you can't help but notice it, even if you're not looking for it. You better believe I won't hire the Collyer brothers (see Wikipedia). And I won't work in a Collyer workplace.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I came to an interview a month ago, and it was the most disgusting place I ever saw. I was afraid to sit on the chair and put my folder on the conference table. I wanted to run out of there.

There were layers of dirt that were visible on dark gray. There was dust and clutter and stains. The interviewer looked clean. Would I have accepted an offer from this schmo? NOT ON YOUR LIFE. I don't want bedbugs or other diseases. He couldn't pay me enough. I didn't care if he was a superstar from Hollywood.
I had a similar experience when I first moved to Florida. There were cockroaches crawling all over the waiting area. I got up and walked out. There was no way I was working there.

I also had a temp job that I left and never returned to after having a rat--not a mouse but a rat--run across the floor by my desk. The other girl in the office agreed it was a rat and said they got into the building pretty regularly but it was no big deal.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I don't blame you!

However in some jobs, the candidate has to take customers to a meal in their car. I wouldn't want to hire someone who had to clean a space so a customer could get in.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,863,689 times
Quote:
I don't blame you!

LOL.

There are levels of messiness. There's a gradient to it. If it's a cup or a very minor thing, then I agree.
If the car looks like it belongs to Homer Collyer, then no. I seriously don't know anybody who would hire the guy after seeing the car.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM

373 posts, read 561,468 times
Quote:
If their car is a pigsty, then they are obviously a person who doesn't give a rats ass about keeping the area around them clean and tidy. And they are also a disorganized mess. Pass.

People who box, practice a martial art, kickbox, etc. generally do so as a form of exercise, not to assault another individual.
That completely not true. I am a very neat and tidy person. I shower twice a day. I have often been accused of being a neat freak at work and will often clean my office space, including company kitchens and common space. I am the employee that scrubs the cube frames and dusts on top of the office clock and artwork. My house is daily clean considering I have two kids and three dogs.

My car on the other hand is a complete wreck. My boyfriend has threatened to have trash service pickup directly from the car. It is called having kids and dogs. The dogs lick the windows and the kids drag everything into the car. I do not waste more than 2-3 weekends a year cleaning the car.

Your generalization is complete bull.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,900,774 times
Quote:
You got it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or