U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,862,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
However in some jobs, the candidate has to take customers to a meal in their car. I wouldn't want to hire someone who had to clean a space so a customer could get in.
Of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,910,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
OK, I finally got a Human Resources person to tell me why I was not hired into a job that I put so much effort into the application process. I put together lots of supplemental information; tried to create a link between the job description and my background and studied lots of interview books.

So here is the reason they said I was not hired: Likability. They did not like me.

Is this a good reason? I was hired to work not put on a coffee party, right?

I was interviewed for an Office Manager job.
They do not have to give you any reason for not hiring you.

But I do know one thing for sure and that is they did not want you,
so look somewhere else.

Hope you find a job ! ! !

Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
That completely not true. I am a very neat and tidy person. I shower twice a day. I have often been accused of being a neat freak at work and will often clean my office space, including company kitchens and common space. I am the employee that scrubs the cube frames and dusts on top of the office clock and artwork. My house is daily clean considering I have two kids and three dogs.

My car on the other hand is a complete wreck. My boyfriend has threatened to have trash service pickup directly from the car. It is called having kids and dogs. The dogs lick the windows and the kids drag everything into the car. I do not waste more than 2-3 weekends a year cleaning the car.

Your generalization is complete bull.
That's flat out gross that you let garbage build up in your car for months at a time. Just take 15 seconds to grab the empty containers and other refuse and toss it as you get out each time. Or put a trash bag into the backs eat and toss it once a week. We're not talking hours of professional detailing, we're talking basic cleanliness and living conditions.

I have a big dog as well, I spent 45 seconds with Windex and a paper towel to get the worst of it off the windows after we get back home.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,426,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It is silly.

I suppose next they're going to demand a tour of my bedroom just to land a job.

It's an invasion of privacy, and what I do in my private life should have absolutely no bearing on my professional work.
If this is what you honestly think, then you are going to struggle to find work your entire life.

What you do in your private life is a reflection of your personality, and a person's personality matters a lot in a job. Tell me - suppose you were hiring someone, and it was down to two candidates, both equally qualified as far as on the job skills went. One kept an extremely neat house, was well groomed, never kept piles of trash in his/her car and the other was a slob. Which would you hire?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,896,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If this is what you honestly think, then you are going to struggle to find work your entire life.

What you do in your private life is a reflection of your personality, and a person's personality matters a lot in a job. Tell me - suppose you were hiring someone, and it was down to two candidates, both equally qualified as far as on the job skills went. One kept an extremely neat house, was well groomed, never kept piles of trash in his/her car and the other was a slob. Which would you hire?
Unless you are hiring for high security government clearance jobs, in the real world you don't know what their house is like, so you will have to use other criteria. Flip a coin if they are both equally qualified.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,896,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
However in some jobs, the candidate has to take customers to a meal in their car. I wouldn't want to hire someone who had to clean a space so a customer could get in.
Finally a bona fide reason for caring about a candidate's car to the point where it affects a hiring decision. No, I would not want a company representative driving the customers around in a rolling trash heap!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Tell me - suppose you were hiring someone, and it was down to two candidates, both equally qualified as far as on the job skills went. One kept an extremely neat house, was well groomed, never kept piles of trash in his/her car and the other was a slob. Which would you hire?
I wouldn't care what they did in their private life. It's irrelevant to me.

As long as they can prove they'll perform well on the job, that's all that matters to me.

I'll just make it clear in their contract that in the event they do something I dislike that it's grounds for immediate dismissal.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,426,872 times
Quote:

As long as they can prove they'll perform well on the job, that's all that matters to me.

I'll just make it clear in their contract that in the event they do something I dislike that it's grounds for immediate dismissal.
You didn't answer the question. If the candidates were equal in all other areas, which would you hire?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM

18,914 posts, read 9,635,843 times
Quote:

You can argue till your face is blue but you aren't going anywhere unless you drop you ego and learn some interview skill and how to work.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM

708 posts, read 777,674 times
All I want to say is that this thread has been highly entertaining! Please, carry on!

For the record, while I think its a bit much to purposefully try to look into a person's car (sorry, but no stranger is walking me back to my car and its military grade clean, believe that), I do believe certain habits and traits give insight into a person's personality and priorities. Should they be used in the hiring process? I, again, have to go with "depends on the job."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or