Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,239 times

Advertisements

When you have to share space with someone and be near them 8 or 9 hours a day, likeability is almost everything. Especially with general office work, which almost anyone can do with proper training (not like, say, computer programmer or rocket scientist). Every time I've totally hated a job, it's been because I didn't like the people I worked with. The people you work with can make every day fun or every day miserable. Who in their right mind would choose to spend three quarters of their life with someone who only wants to "get the job done" and isn't interested in being at all social or making the day more pleasant on a human basis? That's about as fun as working with a machine, but machines don't offend you or insult you. Likeability is important. If you can't be likeable than you'd better get a skill set that not many people have so you won't have to compete so much - admin work won't cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,876,501 times
I don't want to work with people who are difficult to get along with. That will have an impact on teamwork, and even productivity. Hence, I expect HR does put a lot of emphasis on likeability.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:33 AM

629 posts, read 1,233,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This reminds me of a place I've worked...

I was hired on and found out that the reason I was hired and "got started" right away was because they wanted to get rid of another.

According to some, she wasn't "social" or "nice" enough to the customers or the co-workers. Well, that isn't good!

So I watched her.

Couldn't figure it out for a long time what they saw because I didn't see her being unfriendly at all. I watched her interact with the customers and she was pleasant, gave them all of the information, got the work done quickly and efficiently and the customers went away satisfied. With the co-workers, I saw her smile, say a few words and she seemed pleasant enough to me.

Could not figure it out.

I guess it's because she wasn't over the top with fake laughter, pretending, inane chatter and what not. She was not in the least bit unfriendly. She was quieter than the others but she was not unfriendly.

For them, "likeability" was about being as loud, over the top, fake and phony, (especially with that horrific FAKE laugh...UGH!!!), and if someone was pleasant but more quiet, that meant they were 'not nice'.

Unbelievable.

As a customer, I prefer the pleasant but quieter types than the fake ass laughing, pretending to give a crap about my conversation types. I can tell when someone is being phony and I find it condescending, as the customer. It turns me off from the place while the quieter, "not nice", pleasant person is much more comfortable to work with.
I despise when things like this happen. This is not high school it's the real world with different personalities. As long as the person isn't radiating negative energy, it's no ones business how up beat they are.

What's worse is when you have that lazy employee whom all the managers love. They get away with everything and have infinite leeway because they are favored for whatever reason. What makes it worse is that no matter how much efficient work you put out in comparison to them, they will more than likely move up in the company before you.

Welcome to the real world. Learn to be likable or learn to wear the mask long enough to reach a position where it doesn't matter anymore.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,101 times
I think what happens when the technical qualifications are there is it becomes about who's going to be able to work well as part of a group. Even more so in this economy.

And as Three Wolves has described, often co-workers will turn on one person. They don't have anything valid or legitimate they can use against the co-worker, so they start talking about subjective things such as likeability and attitude. Once that type of accusation is made, it's very hard to disprove.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This reminds me of a place I've worked...

I was hired on and found out that the reason I was hired and "got started" right away was because they wanted to get rid of another.

According to some, she wasn't "social" or "nice" enough to the customers or the co-workers. Well, that isn't good!

So I watched her.

Couldn't figure it out for a long time what they saw because I didn't see her being unfriendly at all. I watched her interact with the customers and she was pleasant, gave them all of the information, got the work done quickly and efficiently and the customers went away satisfied. With the co-workers, I saw her smile, say a few words and she seemed pleasant enough to me.

Could not figure it out.

I guess it's because she wasn't over the top with fake laughter, pretending, inane chatter and what not. She was not in the least bit unfriendly. She was quieter than the others but she was not unfriendly.

For them, "likeability" was about being as loud, over the top, fake and phony, (especially with that horrific FAKE laugh...UGH!!!), and if someone was pleasant but more quiet, that meant they were 'not nice'.

Unbelievable.

As a customer, I prefer the pleasant but quieter types than the fake ass laughing, pretending to give a crap about my conversation types. I can tell when someone is being phony and I find it condescending, as the customer. It turns me off from the place while the quieter, "not nice", pleasant person is much more comfortable to work with.
Its probably because she wasn't telling them all of her business. Its one thing to be friendly and professional, which it sounds like this person was doing. Others need to know everything about your personal life and if you don't give up those details (even knowing good and well, its none of their business), then they will perceive you as "not friendly".

I had a manager once who saw me this way because I wouldn't talk a lot about my personal life with her. She was my manager, not my friend.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
OK, I finally got a Human Resources person to tell me why I was not hired into a job that I put so much effort into the application process. I put together lots of supplemental information; tried to create a link between the job description and my background and studied lots of interview books.

So here is the reason they said I was not hired: Likability. They did not like me.

Is this a good reason? I was hired to work not put on a coffee party, right?

I was interviewed for an Office Manager job.
It is a good reason. And not being "likable" doesn't actually always mean "Hey, we just don't see ourselves being his best friend". It can mean they did not think that you would fit in with the current staff, which really matters if it going to be your job to run the office. And yes, this matters. Happy people are more productive. If they "like" you, the office is more productive, Also, you will be more likely to stay if YOU fit in with the office culture,

Likability is also the intangible definition given a lot of times when someone just has a feeling it will not work out. If you have ever met a person that you just didn't like right away, it is usually some sort of gut instinct saying "hold on , look closely before you leap".

Also, the above stuff is NOTHING you can control. It is how they felt. And honestly, if they don't think you will be a god fit, you don't want to work there. Yes, it is frustrating to think you have a shot at a position and not get if for this reason, but them going with their gut and not hiring you because they don't think you will fit in was likely doing you a favor. You do NOT want to work somewhere that you aren't a match for. That is no fun.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
It is a good reason. And not being "likable" doesn't actually always mean "Hey, we just don't see ourselves being his best friend". It can mean they did not think that you would fit in with the current staff, which really matters if it going to be your job to run the office. And yes, this matters. Happy people are more productive. If they "like" you, the office is more productive, Also, you will be more likely to stay if YOU fit in with the office culture,

Likability is also the intangible definition given a lot of times when someone just has a feeling it will not work out. If you have ever met a person that you just didn't like right away, it is usually some sort of gut instinct saying "hold on , look closely before you leap".

Also, the above stuff is NOTHING you can control. It is how they felt. And honestly, if they don't think you will be a god fit, you don't want to work there. Yes, it is frustrating to think you have a shot at a position and not get if for this reason, but them going with their gut and not hiring you because they don't think you will fit in was likely doing you a favor. You do NOT want to work somewhere that you aren't a match for. That is no fun.
Not everyone cares if the rest of the staff like them. Some people just want to be given their daily tasks so they can perform them effectively. Friendly communication is always necessary but ruling someone out because of a feeling isn't professional. It's like a woman only hiring guys she would talk to in a club. Why does it matter to the company? Why would you spend your day worrying about someone elses behavior? Shouldn't you be working? And as long as that person doesn't make your work day difficult or bring negative vibes in, why should you care?

Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
A lot of speculation here.

Likeabilty is a huge factor at workplace. I have said over and over again but some of you just keep ignoring. Your technical skill only counts as 1/3 of your overall skill set. The sooner you realize this, the faster you will progress in your career. For those who imagine a "perfect workplace" where only technical skill counts, 1) you don't get to define the rules and 2) even you do, you will soon realize the ability to work as a team triumphs pure technical skill.

I keep asking the same question but get no answer. What is our real job? Our job at work is not about our personal life nor is about the responsibilities listed on the job description. Our job as employees is to do everything in our power to help our boss to be more successful. In the process we will gain crucial skills, technical, social and managerial, to go on to the next step up.

You don't need to be friends with your boss but it certainly helps. Most managers wouldn't want to be your friends anyway. What you do need to do is to work with your manager's best interest at heart. This includes but not limited to:
1, make sure your boss is well informed on all matters particularly anything that can make his or her look bad in front of the big boss.
2, always clarify your work priority with your boss so that you focus on the things that he or she cares.
3, always discuss your disagreement in private. Even you disagree still, you will still follow your order with your best effort.
4, always remain professional.

If you can convince the hiring manager you are this kind of person, you will always be hired. To tell the truth, often companies would create positions to hire good people. By good people, I mean people with both strong technical and social skills.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A lot of speculation here.

Likeabilty is a huge factor at workplace. I have said over and over again but some of you just keep ignoring. Your technical skill only counts as 1/3 of your overall skill set. The sooner you realize this, the faster you will progress in your career.

I keep asking the same question but get no answer. What is our real job? Our job at work is not about our personal life nor is about the responsibilities listed on the job description. Our job as employees is to do everything in our power to help our boss to be more successful. In the process we will gain crucial skills, technical, social and managerial, to go on to the next step up.

You don't need to be friends with your boss but it certainly helps. Most managers wouldn't want to be your friends anyway. What you do need to do is to work with your manager's best interest at heart. This includes but not limited to:
1, make sure your boss is well informed on all matters particularly anything that can make his or her look bad in front of the big boss.
2, always clarify your work priority with your boss so that you focus on the things that he or she cares.
3, always discuss your disagreement in private. Even you disagree still, you will still follow your order with your best effort.
4, always remain professional.

If you can convince the hiring manager you are this kind of person, you will always be hired. To tell the truth, often companies would create positions to hire good people. By good people, I mean people with both strong technical and social skills.
This sounds like a contradiction. The bolded part does not require likability to be accomplished. Plenty of people meet this criteria and aren't considered likable. Likability and social skills are two different things.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Not everyone cares if the rest of the staff like them. Some people just want to be given their daily tasks so they can perform them effectively. Friendly communication is always necessary but ruling someone out because of a feeling isn't professional. It's like a woman only hiring guys she would talk to in a club. Why does it matter to the company? Why would you spend your day worrying about someone elses behavior? Shouldn't you be working? And as long as that person doesn't make your work day difficult or bring negative vibes in, why should you care?
Hold on a second...in one sentence you say it is unprofessional (I bolded that) to pick someone because of a feeling. I also bolded where you say that as long as the person doesn't bring in negative vibes, it is ok to have them in the workplace...so please explain what a "vibe" is if not a feeling....as in one sentence choosing by feelings is horrible and in the next, you are saying that a person is an issue if they bring in negative vibes and that choosing (or more appropriately not choosing) an employee based on those negative vibes is ok.

Choosing on feelings=bad
Choosing on vibes=good

Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search