Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,521,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Really? You can't figure out why an employer wouldn't want to hire someone whose car looks like there is a family of rats living in it?
LOL. If one is parking near the location of the interview, it makes sense to make sure the car is clean the day of the interview. Especially if one parks in the company's parking lot. That's common sense.

Would you wear dirty shoes to the interview?

People are actually debating this?

You can be a slob on the other days, when you don't have interviews.

If you're too lazy to clean your car for the day of the interview, take public trans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That is exactly the point I am trying to make. HNSQ is going to lose a lot of good employees who don't fit into his mold for silly reasons. Again, it may work in this economy, but he's going to have a rude awakening once the economy improves.
It is hardly a 'rude awakening' when the economy improves. I will pay more, offer more benefits, and concede to candidates more than I do today.

Please try to look at things from the other point of view for once. I have maybe 7-8 hours of interviewing a single person to find out if they are someone I want to represent me and my team for YEARS. My performance is based on how well my team performs, so I have 7-8 hours to find out if a person is the kind of person I would want to have work for me. When I have two equally qualified candidates, I do have to make some assumptions based on traits external to the job.

Suppose you were hiring for a job where you want the employee to be very self-motivated. You have it down to two equally qualified candidates. Both are roughly the same age, have the same skillsets, are willing to (and capable of) working the same hours, etc. One of the candidates has motivated himself enough to train for, and compete in a marathon in his free time, while the other candidate fills his/her free time watching TV. Which candidate would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
LOL. If one is parking near the location of the interview, it makes sense to make sure the car is clean the day of the interview. Especially if one parks in the company's parking lot. That's common sense.

Would you wear dirty shoes to the interview?

You can be a slob on the other days, when you don't have interviews.

If you're too lazy to clean your car for the day of the interview, take public trans.
You would be surprised....I once had someone who knew through a previous phone interview that the dress code for the office was business casual (button down shirt for men) come in wearing an un-tucked polo shirt because "what he wears shouldn't matter". I understand his point, but what did he expect would happen?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM

934 posts, read 1,937,651 times
Quote:

People who love to debate are debating this.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
No one's debating anything.

It's silly to hire a person based on their car. Bottom line.

I have to question the intelligence of the person who does so.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No one's debating anything.

It's silly to hire a person based on their car. Bottom line.

I have to question the intelligence of the person who does so.
And I absolutely question the intelligence and hygiene of someone who drives around in a rats nest. Clutter and garbage that isn't properly disposed of is a sign of untreated mental illness. That's not a suitable candidate in my book.

Like I said, I'm not talking about the empty coffee cup from the morning or the sweater on the back seat. I'm talking about cars that are so full of junk and trash that you can't see the floors or seats. That is not normal, it's sick and disgusting.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Would you date a man or a woman with a seriously messy car? Or if someone lived like a slob and their apartment was a hoarder's nirvana?? So nobody would judge someone on that?

People make judgments based on what they see. First impressions....

Some judgments by employers are unreasonable but others, well, I sort of can agree with.
If someone dressed impeccably to the interview and was perfect but his car was that hoarder's nirvana, I would opt to go with another candidate who wouldn't contradict him/herself. If the choice is between 2 equally qualified people, and one looks like he lives out of his car, the choice is obvious. Competition is stiff now in this economy so many things matter.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Default For the "car checkers" ...

... you'd be SOL in my area.

I work in NYC. The vast majority come to work on public transportation.

If you were hiring in NYC, how would you manage to make a hiring decision without being able to sneak around in a parking lot snooping in the windows of someone's car?

I think the car snooping is silly. If not, explain my brother. His vehicle is a disaster area, yet he's always the most productive where he works.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... you'd be SOL in my area.

I work in NYC. The vast majority come to work on public transportation.

If you were hiring in NYC, how would you manage to make a hiring decision without being able to sneak around in a parking lot snooping in the windows of someone's car?

I think the car snooping is silly. If not, explain my brother. His vehicle is a disaster area, yet he's always the most productive where he works.
It is silly.

I suppose next they're going to demand a tour of my bedroom just to land a job.

It's an invasion of privacy, and what I do in my private life should have absolutely no bearing on my professional work.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

I came to an interview a month ago, and it was the most disgusting place I ever saw. I was afraid to sit on the chair and put my folder on the conference table. I wanted to run out of there.

There were layers of dirt that were visible on dark gray. There was dust and clutter and stains. The interviewer looked clean. Would I have accepted an offer from this schmo? NOT ON YOUR LIFE. I don't want bedbugs or other diseases. He couldn't pay me enough. I didn't care if he was a superstar from Hollywood.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And I absolutely question the intelligence and hygiene of someone who drives around in a rats nest. Clutter and garbage that isn't properly disposed of is a sign of untreated mental illness. That's not a suitable candidate in my book.

Like I said, I'm not talking about the empty coffee cup from the morning or the sweater on the back seat. I'm talking about cars that are so full of junk and trash that you can't see the floors or seats. That is not normal, it's sick and disgusting.
That sounds like something out of "Hoarders" on TV.

And I'm sure cars like that are RARE enough that they shouldn't be worried about on a daily basis when hiring people.

How many of them have you actually seen in real life:

When out in public, not snooping on a job candidate?

When snooping in your parking lot around a job candidate's car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search