U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,276,853 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

So I am finally reaching the end of my college years. Bittersweet. It has been quite the journey.

I am going to graduate in April with a Bachelor of Business-Marketing Research with an English Minor and Writing Certification.

I would like to start applying now but is it too early if I can start full time work in May? Some tell me to start in December when I have just 3 or 4 months left until graduation but would it hurt to start now?

Just wanted some opinions. I am determined to have one foot in front of the other and do my best to have a job upon graduation. Never too late to think ahead.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 AM

28,441 posts, read 71,052,440 times
Default Timing is not as critical as other factors...

You can land a great job if you "apply" anytime, what you need to be thinking about is what your skills can do for potential employers.

If you've done any internships those should have helped you get a handle on both the tasks that employers may be hoping to have your perfrom as well as your ability to do them.

If you have not done any thing like that your taks is MUCH harder and it will be very important for you to assess what potential employers may be willing to hire someone with your skills.

College placement office may be a good placce to start, as they often break out the firms doing on campus recruiting as to what majors that each firm will consider. Sometimes going back a few years in the database will give you an insight as to which firms may have been ore active in past years -- sometimes directly contacting such firms is fruitful even if they are not scheduled to do any on-campus recruiting.

Really is hard to beat the leg up you can get from a well run college placement office but if you do your research NOW you should be able to make contact with at least a few firms that may have hired folks in your situation in past years and if you can impress an actual "line manager" as opposed to just get bounced around by HR you dramatically increase your potential for starting your career off to a great beginning.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,425,436 times
Start now. When I graduated from college (five years ago), I was given a job offer in October and accepted it in the first week of November. The offer was contingent upon me graduating with certain grades/etc., but absolutely start now.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,990,870 times
Not too early - look for any opportunities to get your foot in the door now (part time, internships, etc.). To some extent, it can be argued that you might be a bit behind as some of your peers might already be working/interning.

Given the job markets - you want to look at all avenues/opportunities.

Just my .02.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,930,312 times
Now. If you have a career center at your college I would work with them. My college career center helped me land my first job out of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or