U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,211,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I perused JobDango.com this evening, and I liked that site. Check that one out. Beyond.com is another one. They will post resumes public if requested, and businesses do look at them. So far I've received 2 responses from insurance companies wanting to train agents. (Unfortunately, that is NOT my thing.)
Thank you, BluesM. Never heard of either so I certainly appreciate it.

I've been looking at simplyhired.com & know about glassdoor.com for checking into basic company/salary/interview info. Of course, Craigslist, which I've found to be fruitless for jobs... most are job descriptions with no company info (who wants to fax a resume to an unknown... it might be your boss!) & I know no one who's secured a job from it. I have a suspicion it's just folks who like to resume collect...

Finishing touches on the resume today, then I'll begin posting. How exciting! Thanks again for all your help & good luck to you. I do understand... insurance wouldn't be my thing either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have a hard time believing she had zero contact with anyone ever during that 10 year time frame.

References can be from volunteer work for the PTA or church as well.

You may find it hard to believe, but that's not helpful info. I've presented her dilema for help in taking the first steps to getting her organized so she can find a job... judge as you will. She's in a prediciment which might be unusual & perhaps she'd not have chosen it in hindsight (spending all her time & attention on her husband, his home & his work), but a fingerwagging isn't what's needed now. She needs a job, a new flat & was tossed out of her house on her bum. Believe me, she realizes her mistakes & how it's left her in a virtual black hole. She's my cousin... I met her once in '95, but I'm still helping her.

For your ideas, if one has no children, they'd know nothing of the PTA. And, I couldn't even tell you where the nearest church to my bldg is if my life depended upon it (I don't see any steeples on the skyline)... if not religious, no such contacts. But, thanks for trying.

Have a fun day.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
well, according to this forum, make them up

But I don't recommend that.
Okay...

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You may find it hard to believe, but that's not helpful info. I've presented her dilema for help in taking the first steps to getting her organized so she can find a job... judge as you will. She's in a prediciment which might be unusual & perhaps she'd not have chosen it in hindsight (spending all her time & attention on her husband, his home & his work), but a fingerwagging isn't what's needed now. She needs a job, a new flat & was tossed out of her house on her bum. Believe me, she realizes her mistakes & how it's left her in a virtual black hole. She's my cousin... I met her once in '95, but I'm still helping her.

For your ideas, if one has no children, they'd know nothing of the PTA. And, I couldn't even tell you where the nearest church to my bldg is if my life depended upon it (I don't see any steeples on the skyline)... if not religious, no such contacts. But, thanks for trying.

Have a fun day.
It sounds like her best bet is to go through a temp agency at first. They'll send you on assignments with just a couple of personal references as long as you can pass the tests. She can do temp work for as long as she needs to in order to have a couple of professional references. Maybe she'll get lucky and be placed in a temp to perm assignment.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It sounds like her best bet is to go through a temp agency at first. They'll send you on assignments with just a couple of personal references as long as you can pass the tests. She can do temp work for as long as she needs to in order to have a couple of professional references. Maybe she'll get lucky and be placed in a temp to perm assignment.
Thank you, Ann. I do appreciate it.

Was thinking the same, but I haven't worked for temp agencies since the Brits were chased out of the Harbor, so it's nice to have an idea that that option might be available. At least, we've got to start somewhere. She's very smart, well spoken, capable & a good worker, which is part of the pain now, in realizing she never really did spread her wings beyond home & perhaps trusted too much. Oh, well... live & learn. We can all have a woulda, coulda, shoulda list if we want to delve into the depths. Not wise, imho. Nice part is she'll take anything, do it well & be greatful to have the opportunity. I've had to start over again once or twice... it happens. Sometimes there's nothing to do but just do the next thing.

I'll repost as it goes along... I'm looking up volunteering ops for her now in her state. Oops, first need to post her resume online. I'm sure she'll rise above it all, but sometimes one can feel in a chasm if left too long to one's own devices. Best to keep a stiff upper lip & forge ahead. She's very shy & in my non-pro opinion, a bit of an agoraphobe, as you may have sensed. I've a few on that side of the family, 3 generations of which I'm aware. Not to steal the spotlight, but I'm quite a loner myself, so this is a wake up call to me, as well. I'm one of those who tends to work, go home, get ready for work the next day, rinse & repeat. One never knows what next month shall bring so best to have a network handy.

Thank you ALL so much for your help. You have no bloody idea how much you've all helped me sort her out & I really do give you all a heartfelt standing O! (No, not that O... cheeky... haha) Cheers, then...

Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM

1,854 posts, read 1,707,635 times
Doesn't your cousin get alimony, as well as child support? She might even be entitled to half his business, whatever it is. Something is not adding up with this story.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Doesn't your cousin get alimony, as well as child support? She might even be entitled to half his business, whatever it is. Something is not adding up with this story.
Boy, do people read previous posts???

No kids, just split, divorce to follow (all stated before ), but that's not the issue. Getting her a job is. All I asked about was references... not marriage/divorce/legal/social advice. She can handle that on her own. If you don't understand or won't take the time to, why add anything to the thread?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Update...

Just wanted to provide a partial update, since so many were kind enough to offer help & responses.

* We've honed down my cousin's resume to where she's comfortable... basically, going back only 15-yrs. It was a bit too clutered before, had too many PT jobs from many years gone by & is now only 1 page.

* She now has a reference! Her husband was able to be reached via reasoning with money... she asked that he give her a reference in exchange for never having been paid for her work with a gentle reminder that this can be made into a big deal during the impending divorce. She also said if she's gainfully employed, his alimony, if any, would be less. He felt it wise to give in. Took 3-wks to get that straightened out, but they were able to finally have a civil conversations (after almost 1-dozen attempts... he kept hanging up on her) to where they're now, finally on the same page. She did genuinely do the work & did a good job, so it's only fair.

* We've gone through several wonky practice interviews (we're on different sides of the states, so all our communication is via phone/email) & I found a few decent books that she's reading on cover letters & interviewing Q&As. She gets more comfortable each day with the whole process. I can hear it in her voice... she used to sound upset & terrified... "What if they ask me this?!!" to now sounding more confident... "When they ask me this, I'll say..."

* She held off on sending out resumes, mainly with the husband stuff & a migraine for 1-wk, but it's serindipidous that she did... several jobs have opened up which combine office work with a creative field in which she's very capable & has experience. All jobs are in different states, but, she actually would welcome the change, so said she'd apply & hope for the best. She's very excited about the prospect of those jobs due to the creative factor, so I'm holding good thoughts for her. I haven't heard her this excited since I began helping her.

* Tomorrow she/we begin applying for local jobs in her state. She did research today & has a list, but sadly, I didn't have the time today. She wants to give it 1-2 wks before heading to a temp agency for PT work to hold her over until FT transpires, only in the event she needs to travel for the other interviews. It's up to her... she should do what's best & so as to avoid overwhelm.

So, I'll report back soon. Hopefully, the next update will be that she's found a FT job. I just wanted to thank those who offered great info & reponses once again. If you recall, I don't know her, but a mutual relative had her call me. A bit more, along the way, has come out about her home life & I'm glad I could offer a bit of support... basically, her husband seems the type mums tell their daughters & friends to avoid. In any event, I feel people here have done the same for me... helped a stranger. So, I just wanted to thank you all kindly for it.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,623,738 times
Glad to hear positive steps are being achieved!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 AM

Default October Update...

My cousin had her first interview via phone. It went so well, she's flying in for an interview next week!

She's been selective in sending out resumes... I think only 6 for jobs she thought she'd really like, rather than flooding the market. She found out about this job by accident. She has a creative side & was perusing a website with products she needs to replenish, clicked on the Careers link which she'd never noticed before & low & behold, a job combining office work with a creative flair in a field in which she has experience was available. So far, so good...

She spent awhile filling out their app & faxing that & her resume, cover letter, etc., as they'd asked. Next day, she received an email from them asking if she'd relocate across state. Absolutely, she replied. They emailed back to set up the phone interview for 2-days later. It was a conference call with 2 others. Now, she's flying in... it's hundreds of miles to drive, so she would like to make it easier & she found a great fare. Wow, things really seem to be going her way!

Wonderful thing is she's not nervous AT ALL! Jobs in fields she wasn't interested in or she thought would be quite dry were making her nervous as she felt she'd have to convince them she was fit for such a place. But, this is a creative subject she can talk about for hours, so she's confident in her knowledge & abilities. It's such a nice change to see!

In any event, I'm holding good thoughts for her. Thank you all again! I'll keep you posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search