U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,874,359 times

Advertisements

1 min late is ok, depends on your reason for me. I rather you be 1 min late then 15 min early. If you are 15 min early then I need to stop what I am doing to come and interview you or make you wait 15 min or until I decide to come down and interview.

We have about 5 min of paperwork for you to fill out.

5 min or later then I have a problem. If you did not take the initiative to call me and let me know you will be 5min+ late, then I do not think I want you on my team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,814,488 times
From what I understand, if you are going to be late you have to call and inform the hiring manager of this (usually in early advance say around 30 mins+). Being late is considered unacceptable by just about everyone. Back in college, if a student was very late for an interview, the college forced the student to send an apology letter to the employer for being late and would bar the student from using the college interview service until an apology letter was given. If the student was late more than once at my college, they would be banned from using the service for a year.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,337,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
He was 20 minutes late.

You're screwed, tvdxer.
Haha!

Actually, I was 10 minutes late once (I was right on time for all the other interviews I've done). It was for a part-time job working at a non-profit that provides housing to homeless alcoholics. I was particularly lazy that morning, wondering if I even should follow through with the interview, and arrived in the neighborhood at about 10:26 (the interview was scheduled for 10:30). Unfortunately, I thought I knew where the site was, but I was in error; so I drove around frantically, thinking about giving up, but the thought entered my mind that I would be wasting gas if I did not go. Found it, found free parking, went in, and was given paperwork by the receptionist. I filled out the paperwork, and there was still a wait as the previous interviewee was still being interviewed! It was not until 11:00 or so that I was actually interviewed, and I don't think they had any clue about my tardiness.

Interestingly, I am usually punctual with work, especially if the employer or client demands it.

I see why being late for an interview would negatively affect the candidate's chances of getting the job - that's obvious - but with almost everybody having smartphones or at a computer today, I don't see how being late is NECESSARILY wasting anyone's time. If you have a tight schedule, than yes, it may cause things to be out of place, and even cause you to be late, but if you don't, what's the care? If an interviewee showed up at 11:20 when he should have showed up at 11:00, I probably wouldn't hire him, as he shows a lack of initiative or punctuality, which could be important on the job; but I certainly would not be personally offended. If I did not have anything else to do, I would simply surf Wikipedia, City-Data, or Youtube on my computer or smartphone, and entertain myself that way.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM

15,358 posts, read 17,616,116 times
Someone on my team was hired after being approx 20 minutes late to the interview. He called ahead of time to inform of being late. The excuse for being late was reasonable per most folks on the team.

He was even late turning in his application that was needed prior to his offer. He asked for another day to fill it out due to some other excuse.

He was hired.

He was always late with his assignments and always had excuse after excuse for this. It was one story after another. It was evident that due dates meant nothing to him.

Lesson learned the hard way. If I ever have a say in hiring someone that is late, I say NO WAY after the above experience.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 PM

653 posts, read 1,550,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If you have a tight schedule, than yes, it may cause things to be out of place, and even cause you to be late, but if you don't, what's the care?
Two reasons:
- It's an indicator of respect (or lack thereof);
- It's an indicator of whether you have your sh*t together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or