U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 PM
 
Location: On the edge of the universe
994 posts, read 1,352,927 times
Reputation: 1421

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
The big boys are definitely playing by their own rules. You cannot be a rabbit living among a forest of foxes. WE cannot be rabbits. Do what you need to do to get a job. Are the moralists paying your rent? I hope they find you a tent city to live in.
This is a quote that is similar to what I'm thinking when I think of employers and the business world in general. However, I'd liken some employers to snakes instead of foxes. I'm sorry but if the company is full of snakes and lions and tigers and bears I don't think it should surprise people that some of the people running the place are probably fakes and frauds. They're not going to play fair and I can understand why a lot of people will lie and fudge their resumes. In all honesty, I hope more and more people fudge resumes just to **** off these clown executives.

With that being said, I don't think I'd do something like fudge my credentials. I couldn't sleep at night doing that. I know there are a lot of crooked people who do this endlessly. I'd rather go the self-employment route rather than put up with some bull**** employment situation where I had to lie just to get a job. It seems like a lot of employers are looking for bull****ters and liars; is this any way to conduct business? As a customer I'd laugh you out the door if you came to me and tried to sell me a bunch of bull**** sprinkled with some sales pitch glitter that you made up on the fly.

And you know, I'm not surprised at the stupid **** with the lying CEO at Yahoo. Their whole company puts out a ****ty product; most of Yahoo news is the same three things: some homebrew video from Youtube involving stupid pet tricks, the latest method of dealing with your stupid coworkers/relatives, or some article on how to save money. The comments sections are just as retarded to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
 
793 posts, read 1,288,297 times
Reputation: 1144
Whatever I've put on my resume, is stuff I have done and places I have worked. Why lie and then have someone think that you can do something when you really can't? How embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
For your information the man your talking about is Scott Thompson former CEO of Yahoo who was fired because he lied about his degree on his resume. Here is how I know you didn't do your research because with a simple Google search you will find that Scott Thompson the same person who was fired from Yahoo for lying on his resume has found a new job just a few months later as CEO of ShopRunner, which is 30% owned by eBay.

Even when the public knew he was a liar he was still able to find a new job as a CEO. What does that tell you? This is how the world is and here is a prime example right in front of your face and if you cannot see that than there is nothing more I can say nor do.
He lied about his degree on his employment application/resumé. This doesn't mean that he wasn't good at his job at all. Don't confuse the two. He wasn't accused of stealing, misappropriating funds, mishandling his position, failing to perform his expected duties or anything similar but he was found guilty of lying on his application/resumé which for many companies large and small is an issue mandating immediate dismissal and is written into the employee handbook whose rules apply equally to every employee.

Obviously another company was eager to pick him up after his dismissal because he's good at what he does. I'm sure Yahoo was sorry to see him go but company rules are company rules and just imagine the uproar if they'd discovered the lie about his degree and kept him on ...

If you cannot see and understand that then there is nothing more I can say or do. Checkmate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
Whatever I've put on my resume, is stuff I have done and places I have worked. Why lie and then have someone think that you can do something when you really can't? How embarrassing.
I couldn't agree more but no point trying to convince those who think it's perfectly OK to do otherwise as all you'll end up with is a pounding headache and gross indigestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,896,252 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He lied about his degree on his employment application/resumé. This doesn't mean that he wasn't good at his job at all. Don't confuse the two. He wasn't accused of stealing, misappropriating funds, mishandling his position, failing to perform his expected duties or anything similar but he was found guilty of lying on his application/resumé which for many companies large and small is an issue mandating immediate dismissal and is written into the employee handbook whose rules apply equally to every employee.
So then you agree that lying is fine as along as all of your bases are covered and you can get away with it.

/thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So then you agree that lying is fine as along as all of your bases are covered and you can get away with it.

/thread.
In no way did I even suggest that. No, I do not agree at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 AM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,896,252 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In no way did I even suggest that. No, I do not agree at all.
You said lying's bad, yet because he was good at what he did (in other words, covered all of his bases), the fact that he lied didn't matter.

Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You said lying's bad, yet because he was good at what he did (in other words, covered all of his bases), the fact that he lied didn't matter.

Is that correct?
No, I did not say that the fact that he lied "didn't matter". What I said is, I believe, perfectly clear to someone who comprehends simple written English and doesn't need further explanation. If you're having a problem with it then I'm sorry but attributing words to me which I didn't write and then saying, "is that correct?" is simply an attempt to argue for argument's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,896,252 times
Reputation: 5583
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No, I did not say that the fact that he lied "didn't matter".
Do YOU even know what you said?

Now if you want to correct yourself fine, but I understood perfectly what you said initially.

You say because he was good at what he did, the fact that he lied on his resume was irrelevant as he was hired for the same position at another company.

That means that he covered all of his bases to make sure, if it were caught, he had as soft of a landing as possible (which he did).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Do YOU even know what you said?

Now if you want to correct yourself fine, but I understood perfectly what you said initially.

You say because he was good at what he did, the fact that he lied on his resume was irrelevant as he was hired for the same position at another company.

That means that he covered all of his bases to make sure, if it were caught, he had as soft of a landing as possible (which he did).
Wrong again and, yes, I know exactly what I said. It's unfortunate that you don't and that you're missing the entire point which is written in context and in response to the accompanying referenced post. Take your argumentative stance elsewhere and consider taking a remedial course in reading comprehension if such simplicity confuses you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top