U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 AM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,905,792 times
Reputation: 5583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
yes, I know exactly what I said.
No you don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He lied about his degree on his employment application/resumé. This doesn't mean that he wasn't good at his job at all. Don't confuse the two. He wasn't accused of stealing, misappropriating funds, mishandling his position, failing to perform his expected duties or anything similar...

...Obviously another company was eager to pick him up after his dismissal because he's good at what he does...
Translation: The fact that he lied didn't matter because he was good at what he does.

That can also apply to a person who has absolutely no experience/education and "embellishes" their qualifications. If they're good at their job and aren't accused of stealing, misappropriating funds, mishandling their positions, failing to perform their expected duties, or anything similar, they can also get away with lying like the Yahoo CEO.

So in other words, you agree with the OP in this thread.

/thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 AM
 
300 posts, read 1,016,783 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He lied about his degree on his employment application/resumé. This doesn't mean that he wasn't good at his job at all. Don't confuse the two. He wasn't accused of stealing, misappropriating funds, mishandling his position, failing to perform his expected duties or anything similar but he was found guilty of lying on his application/resumé which for many companies large and small is an issue mandating immediate dismissal and is written into the employee handbook whose rules apply equally to every employee.

Obviously another company was eager to pick him up after his dismissal because he's good at what he does. I'm sure Yahoo was sorry to see him go but company rules are company rules and just imagine the uproar if they'd discovered the lie about his degree and kept him on ...http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=25914038

If you cannot see and understand that then there is nothing more I can say or do. Checkmate.
Wow I'm impressed with using my own words against me with the last sentence. I'm pretty sure he lied about his computer science degree, in order to have a higher chance of getting the job that he knew he could do and this same concept is used with the general public.

Your average Joe wanted to apply for a job he knew he could do but just missed some educational background or experience so instead of just letting it go he makes up somethings on his resume and bingo he gets a callback for a possible job.

Here is a flaw in your comment that I caught easily; if you read back a couple of pages I did mention former CEO of Bausch and Lomb Ronald Zarrella who lied about his MBA in which he never received after being appointed CEO and he was fired right??? NO he was not fired; Bausch and Lomb kept him because they felt he was valuable to the company after HE LIED about his MBA and kept him on.

If you cannot see and understand that then there is nothing more I can say or do. Your checkmate was taken back now I have the checkmate .

Last edited by Quitters_Win; 09-02-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 11:51 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,481,157 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Here is a flaw in your comment that I caught easily; if you read back a couple of pages I did mention former CEO of Bausch and Lomb Ronald Zarrella who lied about his MBA in which he never received after being appointed CEO and he was fired right??? NO he was not fired; Bausch and Lomb kept him because they felt he was valuable to the company after HE LIED about his MBA.
And it's quite possible that there is no corporate policy at B&L which mandates that if someone is caught misrepresenting their education in the application/appointment process it's cause for immediate dismissal. Not every company has such a policy.

If you cannot see and understand that then there is nothing more I can say or do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,481,157 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No you don't...



Translation: The fact that he lied didn't matter because he was good at what he does.

That can also apply to a person who has absolutely no experience/education and "embellishes" their qualifications. If they're good at their job and aren't accused of stealing, misappropriating funds, mishandling their positions, failing to perform their expected duties, or anything similar, they can also get away with lying like the Yahoo CEO.

So in other words, you agree with the OP in this thread.

/thread.
Whatever you say, kiddo. Sandboxes and plastic pails aren't my thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,617,130 times
Reputation: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And it's quite possible that there is no corporate policy at B&L which mandates that if someone is caught misrepresenting their education in the application/appointment process it's cause for immediate dismissal. Not every company has such a policy.

If you cannot see and understand that then there is nothing more I can say or do.
So, if a person gets a job with a company that doesn't have a written policy against "resume enhancement", and this gets found out 3 years in and they keep that person due to all the wonders he's done for that company, does that mean he / she has done nothing unethical, then, right? And if you do think it's unethical, (which I don't think it is, not in the cutthroat world of business, where everything goes), what difference does it make to you? If a person feels like they have to "enhance" their CV in order to land the job that *they* feel that they're qualified for, then who am I to judge that they're doing something wrong? To me, that person is just following the rules of business - doing what you gotta do to compete. After all, this sure isn't elementary school where everyone is expected to say "please" and "thank you" and that everyone gets "their turn," although it might not hurt if the business world really was like that...lol.

That's my take on this whole thing anyways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:55 PM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,923,859 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Do YOU even know what you said?

Now if you want to correct yourself fine, but I understood perfectly what you said initially.

You say because he was good at what he did, the fact that he lied on his resume was irrelevant as he was hired for the same position at another company.

That means that he covered all of his bases to make sure, if it were caught, he had as soft of a landing as possible (which he did).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,800 posts, read 11,786,692 times
Reputation: 5154
Maybe I have psychological issues but..

I simply could not pull myself to tell a lie on my resume or in a job interview.. even though I hear of friends who do this all the time. I'm able to "stretch" the truth but if an interviewer asks me if I knew some XYZ skill and I have 0 knowledge of it, there's no way I can even get myself to say "yes". Now if I learned XYZ for a few weeks many years ago and the interviewer asked about it right away, I have no problem saying "yes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,492,619 times
Reputation: 8779
We are each in different positions. People are very fortunate, or maybe young with current skills, if they are in a position in which they don't feel that they have to lie. I would bet that most people tend to be the most idealistic when they are right out of college, at the time when they are in the most demand and/or have highly marketable skills. As time goes on, if things take a downturn, we are usually a bit more ready to twist facts.

I was in a company in which managers were fired for padding their expense reports. This is common practice in most companies. That company fired a woman who had been with the company for about two decades for lying about her age on her resume. The company, at the time, was on a campaign to rid itself of older employees. In the same company many women got promotions by sleeping with their male managers, not a unique situation to that company, by the by. Where do we draw the line in giving/taking unfair advantage?

I have, as long as I can recollect, given myself a salary increase on my applications. I did not have to lie about job qualifications. Never been caught.

We did not ask for this situation in which we are competing with third world people for jobs. They live in countries where the cost of living is much lower, so they can work for less. They are more desperate than us, and it seems as though employment is now going to the most desperate.

I would say, do what you have to do to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,562 posts, read 4,247,853 times
Reputation: 9898
Honesty is the best policy, but the times have certainly changed and I'm damn glad I'm not hunting for a job right now. Now it sounds like you need to go through an hour or two of website nonsense just to get your resume submitted? What happened to the days of calling the company, finding out the hiring manager, and faxing the resume in? Or better yet, walking the resume in personally? It is a total jungle out there and it's getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,923,859 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Honesty is the best policy, but the times have certainly changed and I'm damn glad I'm not hunting for a job right now. Now it sounds like you need to go through an hour or two of website nonsense just to get your resume submitted? What happened to the days of calling the company, finding out the hiring manager, and faxing the resume in? Or better yet, walking the resume in personally? It is a total jungle out there and it's getting worse.

In some cases you do have to go through an hour or two of website nonsense only to be summarily rejected by a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top