U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,861,490 times

Advertisements

Well, some make it hard but others are just insane. I think some of them are not 100% there themselves mentally. And of course, if I score 100% on all those tests, why the hell would I be applying for an office clerical job at Schmo Company? If I have high IQ and am good at advance math, I would have went to Harvard and had my own company by now. Who the hell would need Mom and Pop Inc??? LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,425,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
So when your wife asks you if she looks "fat" in the new dress she's just bought, you consider yourself a scumbag when you say "of course not"? Or do you tell the absolute truth regardless if it hurts her feelings or not?
Answering tactfully and flat out lying are two different things.

Quote:
On the other hand, many employers (not all, mind you, but far too many these days) make it damn near impossible to meet the requirements even for the most basic, entry-level jobs, and this forces people to lie just to have a modicum of a chance of landing said job. So I really, really resent "moralists" calling job applicants "scumbags" for doing what's needed to find work and make a living.

Of course, perhaps you'd rather this country be Communist, so that everyone has a job - no lying needed. Maybe that's the way we're going, if people can't find work.
I don't think it is 'damn near impossible' to find a job today. I think most American workers are lazier than international counterparts, and don't train themselves or study to the point where they actually qualify for jobs today. Stop lying to the the job and train/study more so that you actually qualify for it.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM

125 posts, read 221,217 times
There's a reason why the ones here who advocate outright lying usually are the unemployed. It says something about a person's (dare I say it) character.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,861,490 times
There are more employed liers than the unemployed. Do some corporate factual research. Character has nothing to do with the status of employment/unemployment. Many with low character have high paying jobs; bankers, Wall Street, defense lawyers, mortgage brokers, other types of "salesmen". Again, do some serious research.

Some places to begin your "research" - The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Business Week, Forbes, Bloomberg News, USA Today, American Law Media. 20/20...Dateline...The Rock Center.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,611,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I don't think it is 'damn near impossible' to find a job today. I think most American workers are lazier than international counterparts, and don't train themselves or study to the point where they actually qualify for jobs today. Stop lying to the the job and train/study more so that you actually qualify for it.
Rolls eyes. American workers are NOT lazy - they are some of the most productive people on the planet. The United States can out-produce any nation on Earth in terms of manpower and hours worked, and when it comes to customer service, there is no country that even comes close to the superb level of service that is offered in this country. Try getting "help" at a store in the UK, or Australia - try getting a project done in France. Try protecting your intellectual property rights in China.

The problem isn't the "lazy" workforce in the US, the problem is the lack of jobs, plain and simple. Even if every single unemployed person got maxed out on skills, education and experience, this still doesn't change the fact there are not enough jobs! And since most people *need* (as opposed to just want) a job, you just cannot blame people for doing what they need to do to get a job. Morality is relative, changing according to circumstances - I just fail to see why people are stuck in the Middle Ages way of thinking about this sort of thing. Now, if and and when the economy does provide enough jobs for everyone that needs / wants one, then maybe we can talk. Until then, you'll just have to deal.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,896,252 times
Quote:
Answering tactfully and flat out lying are two different things.

You mean Americans refuse to put in the same amount of productivity for the slave wages their foreign counterparts do.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,425,436 times
Quote:
Rolls eyes. American workers are NOT lazy - they are some of the most productive people on the planet. The United States can out-produce any nation on Earth in terms of manpower and hours worked, and when it comes to customer service, there is no country that even comes close to the superb level of service that is offered in this country. Try getting "help" at a store in the UK, or Australia - try getting a project done in France. Try protecting your intellectual property rights in China.

The problem isn't the "lazy" workforce in the US, the problem is the lack of jobs, plain and simple. Even if every single unemployed person got maxed out on skills, education and experience, this still doesn't change the fact there are not enough jobs! And since most people *need* (as opposed to just want) a job, you just cannot blame people for doing what they need to do to get a job. Morality is relative, changing according to circumstances - I just fail to see why people are stuck in the Middle Ages way of thinking about this sort of thing. Now, if and and when the economy does provide enough jobs for everyone that needs / wants one, then maybe we can talk. Until then, you'll just have to deal.
The problem is absolutely that people are lazy. You talk as if someone owes you a job. If you can't find a good job, then work harder to build the skills you need to be valuable. In terms of STEM, the USA is flat-out beaten every time.

It isn't anyone's responsibility to grow the economy and create jobs but you and me. If you don't have a job, figure out how to improve yourself to the point where you can get or create one. Until you understand that, you will have a very, very tough time in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You mean Americans refuse to put in the same amount of productivity for the slave wages their foreign counterparts do.
No...Americans refuse to put in the amount of effort to learn skills in the STEM markets than counterparts do.

Also, what specific markets and jobs are you referring to when you talk about 'slave wages'?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,892,751 times
Quote:
The problem is absolutely that people are lazy. You talk as if someone owes you a job. If you can't find a good job, then work harder to build the skills you need to be valuable. In terms of STEM, the USA is flat-out beaten every time.

It isn't anyone's responsibility to grow the economy and create jobs but you and me. If you don't have a job, figure out how to improve yourself to the point where you can get or create one. Until you understand that, you will have a very, very tough time in life.

No...Americans refuse to put in the amount of effort to learn skills in the STEM markets than counterparts do.

Also, what specific markets and jobs are you referring to when you talk about 'slave wages'?
Oh please. There are lots of qualified STEM people in the USA and not enough jobs for them. Period. That is the problem. If we graduate more and more STEM people, do you think the jobs will magically appear so that each one has a STEM job? No. It doesn't work that way.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,919,973 times
Quote:

Regarding the bolded part: Some around here just don't seem to get it. I don't see why it is so hard to comprehend.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,919,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
There are more employed liers than the unemployed. Do some corporate factual research. Character has nothing to do with the status of employment/unemployment. Many with low character have high paying jobs; bankers, Wall Street, defense lawyers, mortgage brokers, other types of "salesmen". Again, do some serious research.

Some places to begin your "research" - The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Business Week, Forbes, Bloomberg News, USA Today, American Law Media. 20/20...Dateline...The Rock Center.

Are you sure about that? Employed people couldn't possibly be such liars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or