U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 PM

306 posts, read 346,576 times

Advertisements

Say what you need to say during the interview, but don't lie on your resume. If you do that, then you are lying about experience. You will be getting employers interested under false pretenses. It doesn't matter what somebody else does, no two situations are exactly the same. Lets assume you do that, and you somehow get hired. For whatever reason, it may come up again when you're not expecting it. If you get caught, then you have just put yourself in a position where you will have to explain to companies why you got fired. Or will you try to lie your way out of that one too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,916,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
Say what you need to say during the interview, but don't lie on your resume. If you do that, then you are lying about experience. You will be getting employers interested under false pretenses. It doesn't matter what somebody else does, no two situations are exactly the same. Lets assume you do that, and you somehow get hired. For whatever reason, it may come up again when you're not expecting it. If you get caught, then you have just put yourself in a position where you will have to explain to companies why you got fired. Or will you try to lie your way out of that one too?
Like with everything with life, just don't get caught in the act, or with your hand in the cookie jar.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM

300 posts, read 1,017,343 times
Quote:
Anything in life involves risk; yeah there is a risk that a candidate may get caught and than fired but hey at least they got hired in the first place. Imagine if they had told the truth? Their resume would have probably been trashed. It's statistics that a lot of job candidates lie or embellish the truth somehow by adding puffery somewhere in the 80%-90%; you'd be surprised. I just don't understand why some people can't that. I've been truthful all my life and it has got nothing but a spit in the face and a thank you jesus for me. If you keep doing what your doing than you will get the same results so it's insane to think that something else will happen.

You know employers lie way more often than not; employers have looked me in the eyes and lied to face about certain things and they expect candidates to be honest? That is obsurd. I'm going to do what I have to do to make it in this world.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Anything in life involves risk; yeah there is a risk that a candidate may get caught and than fired but hey at least they got hired in the first place. Imagine if they had told the truth? Their resume would have probably been trashed. It's statistics that a lot of job candidates lie or embellish the truth somehow by adding puffery somewhere in the 80%-90%; you'd be surprised. I just don't understand why some people can't that. I've been truthful all my life and it has got nothing but a spit in the face and a thank you jesus for me. If you keep doing what your doing than you will get the same results so it's insane to think that something else will happen.

You know employers lie way more often than not; employers have looked me in the eyes and lied to face about certain things and they expect candidates to be honest? That is obsurd. I'm going to do what I have to do to make it in this world.
And my way of getting even with them for that is telling them what they want to hear in the interview. I don't want to lie about where I have been. If they want to hire me, I'll get the interview. If you haven't done enough on your resume to get an interview at a certain place, you don't belong there.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
And my way of getting even with them for that is telling them what they want to hear in the interview. I don't want to lie about where I have been. If they want to hire me, I'll get the interview. If you haven't done enough on your resume to get an interview at a certain place, you don't belong there.
Sometimes it's just necessary to lie; employers have no problem doing it. You don't want to lie where you have been fine but there are many others who are doing so in order to stay ahead of the competition a candidate must do it. There is stiff competition out there and you don't think they are going to lie to get the job offer? While your telling the truth and get screwed over I don't think so. I know I can do the job it's just that I have to make up something, in order to get the job offer; to get my foot in the door.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,356,763 times
Be sure and keep a running ledger of which lies you have told to whom so you can keep up.

Once a liar always a liar (my opinion)

Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 PM

714 posts, read 781,263 times
I have never flat out lied, but I may have used some puffery to make a performed function more exciting and involved then what it actually was.

Example - "Spearheaded social media marketing projects...."

Reality - updated the Facebook page, sent a couple of tweets, and an email newsletter informing of a sale (all which takes no more than 10 minutes, 30 if I have to design the newsletter before sending).

I won't lie though. It comes back some kind of way.

If others can get away with it, more power to them.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Sometimes it's just necessary to lie; employers have no problem doing it. You don't want to lie where you have been fine but there are many others who are doing so in order to stay ahead of the competition a candidate must do it. There is stiff competition out there and you don't think they are going to lie to get the job offer? While your telling the truth and get screwed over I don't think so. I know I can do the job it's just that I have to make up something, in order to get the job offer; to get my foot in the door.
I will be very qualified for the jobs that I choose to apply for. Nobody's fake employment record will be able to stand up to my explicitly detailed accounts of real experiences at places I really worked. If that's what you want to do, then by all means, go right ahead. Just know that when it comes down to you and somebody else that happens to be person that your lies are trying to make you appear as, you still will not get the job.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM

107 posts, read 347,093 times
I can see why people are tempted to lie. In certain jobs and industries there are idiotic and arbitrary standards for supposedly entry level jobs. It does not take 3 or 5 years to learn how to do accounts payable or receivable for example(with or without a degree but even less without).

Just have to be careful about what you lie. Certain things are felonies (pretending to be a doctor/cop/lawyer). Don't lie about having a professional license granted by your state (easy to verify sometimes criminality is involved). Don't lie about your education when your education is the centerpiece of a job requirement(easy to verify). Lies are best used to cover up blemishes and put you in a positive light. Certain things come to light very easily on a background check. Your credit, your address history, civil/criminal etc. Just have to be careful that your artificial reality is plausible on a certain level.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I will be very qualified for the jobs that I choose to apply for. Nobody's fake employment record will be able to stand up to my explicitly detailed accounts of real experiences at places I really worked. If that's what you want to do, then by all means, go right ahead. Just know that when it comes down to you and somebody else that happens to be person that your lies are trying to make you appear as, you still will not get the job.
I disagree I think some lying will help you get the job over the other candidate in fact if you don't lie than your at a disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or