U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 PM

565 posts, read 1,113,878 times

Advertisements

I will admit to not reading the thread due to the amount of replies, but here's what I think about the subject.

Fibbing on a resume or in an interview is subjective to a slight degree. If my goals were to hit, say, 90% effectiveness and I hit 88% or close to that, I would go ahead and say I hit 90% or more, but below 100%.

If, however, the goal was 90%, and I was only hitting 79% and below, I wouldn't lie about it.

I think it's OK to embellish slightly, so long as you don't come off as an obvious liar or say things that you can't realisitically back up in a new workplace. You don't want to be in a position to where your boss is going around saying you hit all these lofty goals in your previous job and you couldn't hit the side of a barn in the new one. Make your fibs honestly realistic to back up if needed, is what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM

835 posts, read 2,590,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
... but why you would think it is significant to anyone here is beyond me.
"My 2 cents worth" = my opinion, and my opinion is just as significant as yours or anyone elses on this forum board.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,862,146 times
I doubt how quoting Biblical passages is related to working in the secular non-religious industries. If someone has a religion related job then ok, I see how it may apply.

Your opinion is significant for you, not the topic at hand. People do not post here to be preached or evangelized to. There is another forum and other threads where that is acceptable. Keep in mind not everyone shares your religious beliefs and those that don't will be offended by your preaching.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM

835 posts, read 2,590,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I doubt how quoting Biblical passages is related to working in the secular non-religious industries. If someone has a religion related job then ok, I see how it may apply.

Your opinion is significant for you, not the topic at hand. People do not post here to be preached or evangelized to. There is another forum and other threads where that is acceptable. Keep in mind not everyone shares your religious beliefs and those that don't will be offended by your preaching.
I see you also do not know what the topic is here. It's about lying, and my comments were relavent to lying not about the Bible in the workplace.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,862,146 times
Your comments were of an evangelizing nature. That's the bottom line.Your opinion on lying is your opinion and is not helpful to people who are trying to get hired in a market where employers lie too much. They lie about the job description, and many things about the company and job. Go ahead: tell the truth. Tell them things like you were fired, you are over 40, you are married and have kids, or are a single parent, tell them nothing but the truth and you are unemployable. Maybe in a rural town you are ok. In a big city? You're done if you even remotely tell the truth about anything. Go live in a tent city outside of Connecticut. Maybe you should google "tent cities" and things like "long term unemployed". Those are mostly the people who elect to be "honest," or "tell the truth," or be "sincere."

We're not living in the 1600's in Plymouth, Massachusetts. This is an industrialized, hyper competitive, corporate mentality here. Even the smaller companies are starting to emulate this (horrible) labor system. You want to survive, you have to adapt to the system and get a liveable wage job. Adaptation ensures survival. Basic science.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM

930 posts, read 1,640,637 times
Quote:
. Maybe you should google "tent cities" and things like "long term unemployed". Those are mostly the people who elect to be "honest," or "tell the truth," or be "sincere."
Care to produce any data or evidence that people in tent cities or long-term unemployed are more honest or truthful than the general population?

Thanks for today's chuckle.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,897,588 times
Quote:
Maybe you should google "tent cities" and things like "long term unemployed". Those are mostly the people who elect to be "honest," or "tell the truth," or be "sincere."
I can sort of see your point.

A person who has already lost everything has no reason to mislead people or pull the strings of other people. It's not like anyone would want to sue them (what would the other party gain from someone who has nothing?) and if they're thrown into jail, their lives may even improve as they'll be fed and have access to health care. So why not tell people how you truly feel?

On the other hand, the people who DO have something to lose (such as business owners) will, for example, mislead people and pull their strings to avoid discrimination lawsuits that can destroy their business and thus their well-being. Instead of telling a candidate you didn't hire them because they were black, you'll simply lie and tell them someone else was better qualified for the position to avoid paying out millions of dollars in legal costs.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,481,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
If you blatantly lie on your resume you can get fired for it. For example claiming you have a degree and you dont or claiiming you went to a school and you did not. However you can embellish your resume by using some big words and a lot of flowery language to describe what you did to puff yourself up and look more important or that your job was better than it really was. As long as its not really out and out lying you can maybe get away with it.
People who look at resumes are trained to overlook embellishments and to look for the factual information. Years ago those tricks would work more easily. Today, I would say if you have to, to get a job, if you think it will work, lie. Once you get the job, do an amazing piece of work for them and put out a resume not lying, but telling the truth about your work at that company. This way, you get a great job to put on your resume without lying.

Yes, if you lie blatantly, do NOT stay at the job that accepts you from that lying resume. You must protect yourself by leaving. At least I would think that way. It could bite you in the future when you are even in a worse position to get hired.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM

494 posts, read 1,605,224 times
I personally know of many companies that are actively LAYING OFF American computer programmers and other IT workers and replacing them with cheap workers from India working on L1 visas. This pretty much proves that the argument of "no talent available" is pure nonsense.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,481,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
I see you also do not know what the topic is here. It's about lying, and my comments were relavent to lying not about the Bible in the workplace.
It certainly is bringing the bible into the workplace if you consider that biblical pronouncements, prophecies, threats, should be influencing our behavior regarding our jobs.

The bible uses threat of eternal spiritual damnation or displeasing a god as a reason to obey it's dictates. It is not based on what is good for us, but on old collected myths from a few groups of people in history.

The modern workplace, politics, pretty much were non existent then.

On top of that, why should people in this country, from differing philosophical backgrounds, obey biblical precepts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or