U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 AM

753 posts, read 2,251,798 times

Advertisements

Isn't it ironic that a potential employee will lie to get hired by a company and then the company will lie to the employee after they're hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,471,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Your comments were of an evangelizing nature. That's the bottom line.Your opinion on lying is your opinion and is not helpful to people who are trying to get hired in a market where employers lie too much. They lie about the job description, and many things about the company and job. Go ahead: tell the truth. Tell them things like you were fired, you are over 40, you are married and have kids, or are a single parent, tell them nothing but the truth and you are unemployable. Maybe in a rural town you are ok. In a big city? You're done if you even remotely tell the truth about anything. Go live in a tent city outside of Connecticut. Maybe you should google "tent cities" and things like "long term unemployed". Those are mostly the people who elect to be "honest," or "tell the truth," or be "sincere."

We're not living in the 1600's in Plymouth, Massachusetts. This is an industrialized, hyper competitive, corporate mentality here. Even the smaller companies are starting to emulate this (horrible) labor system. You want to survive, you have to adapt to the system and get a liveable wage job. Adaptation ensures survival. Basic science.
What gets me is that many of this modern crew of born agains act similarly to what some were accused of in the New Testament who Christ said followed the letter of the law but lacked love and compassion, which were god's main message.

But we don't accept religious pronouncements on non religious forums because it opens up an entirely other argument on what the bible actually means, what other religions say about lying, what atheists think about it all, etc.

It's best to just leave religion out of it. That's what the religious forum is for.

Last edited by goldengrain; 10-04-2012 at 05:25 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,917,788 times
Quote:
Your comments were of an evangelizing nature. That's the bottom line.Your opinion on lying is your opinion and is not helpful to people who are trying to get hired in a market where employers lie too much. They lie about the job description, and many things about the company and job.
And yet only the applicants are criticized and preached to for lying.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:23 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,471,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I personally know of many companies that are actively LAYING OFF American computer programmers and other IT workers and replacing them with cheap workers from India working on L1 visas. This pretty much proves that the argument of "no talent available" is pure nonsense.
Yes. There is a systematic movement by our government and corporations to lower the wages of workers in western countries, across the board.

We are being lowered in our lifestyle to that of a third world nation due to international business interests.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM

930 posts, read 1,639,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
And yet only the applicants are criticized and preached to for lying.
I, for one, will not presume to preach to you about lying. Lie like a rug, all you like.

But you forfeit any claim to criticize others (yeah, employers) for doing the same thing.

Don't get sanctimonious about behavior you advocate for yourself.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Isn't it ironic that a potential employee will lie to get hired by a company and then the company will lie to the employee after they're hired.

Sometimes the company will lie even BEFORE hiring someone. Their job ad will state one thing, but once in the interview they will claim something else.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:18 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,858,297 times
Quote:
Sometimes the company will lie even BEFORE hiring someone. Their job ad will state one thing, but once in the interview they will claim something else.
Sure, all the time. Better that the company give themselves away by lying at the interview as opposed to lying AFTER you accept the offer and are on your first week of work. I've caught them lying to me about the nature and duties of the job within the first month. Of course unanticipated things happen during the course of employment, day to day. Sometimes we have to roll up the sleeves and pitch in.But I didn't sign up to "be someone's personal assistant or cleaning lady." That's a different job description.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Sure, all the time. Better that the company give themselves away by lying at the interview as opposed to lying AFTER you accept the offer and are on your first week of work. I've caught them lying to me about the nature and duties of the job within the first month. Of course unanticipated things happen during the course of employment, day to day. Sometimes we have to roll up the sleeves and pitch in.But I didn't sign up to "be someone's personal assistant or cleaning lady." That's a different job description.

Yes I can agree with this. I just would not want to go on an interview that is 1 or 2 hours away only for them to lie straight to my face. I would be pretty pissed.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,858,297 times
Quote:
Yes I can agree with this. I just would not want to go on an interview that is 1 or 2 hours away only for them to lie straight to my face. I would be pretty pissed.
Of course. Anybody in their right mind would be pissed. I would never drive or commute to anything over an hour away. But that's me 'cos I live in NYC and there's transportation all over.If I was living in suburbia or in a rural area, I would be super pissed if lied to my face.

But you already know what I'm going to say, right? Employers have the cards stacked in their favor in this economy so for now we have to keep plugging away and not be discouraged regardless of what they do or don't do. When the economy finally gets a bit better, they will feel it hard when those same employees start giving them notices and leaving.

In my 16 years of working I've never encountered such rudeness, so much deception, so much misrepresentation, blatant lying and just a basic lack of plain business etiquette.

So no, I don't feel a wee bit guilty for evening the score. None of my former colleagues or friends do either.Unless you're the (1%) Ivy League with connections to Forbes or the Hammers, you're going to take a hit in this economy. Nobody cares if you're a rocket scientist or a file clerk, these picky and spoiled employers will try to hire you almost for free, if you bite. Don't forget many got bailouts or some kind of "tax break."

Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:

In my 16 years of working I've never encountered such rudeness, so much deception, so much misrepresentation, blatant lying and just a basic lack of plain business etiquette.

So no, I don't feel a wee bit guilty for evening the score. None of my former colleagues or friends do either.Unless you're the (1%) Ivy League with connections to Forbes or the Hammers, you're going to take a hit in this economy. Nobody cares if you're a rocket scientist or a file clerk, these picky and spoiled employers will try to hire you almost for free, if you bite. Don't forget many got bailouts or some kind of "tax break."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or