U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,922,381 times

Advertisements

If the choice is between being honest and living on the streets or lying but being able to sleep in a bed every night?

The sad part is, this is a reality almost as often as it is a hypothetical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
BINGO. It has happend to me on numerous occasions and its always the compensation. "What the ad you read meant to say is blah, blah, blah...."

-Cheers.
I hope you walked out of the interview LOL. You can't lie about the dollars

Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,362,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I hope you walked out of the interview LOL. You can't lie about the dollars
Is this the advice you gave to the ex-cons you used to counsel in your professional role as an "Employment Counselor" in the non profit state-funded agencies with whom you were previously employed?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,917,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
If the choice is between being honest and living on the streets or lying but being able to sleep in a bed every night?

The sad part is, this is a reality almost as often as it is a hypothetical.
Agreed.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 10,778,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It is what it is. Businessmen (the employers) lie all of the time.

I would love to be the upstanding, moral person, but I know there are millions of other individuals who will stab me in the back in a hot second for their own personal gain (it's not me). As a result, in order to hang with the big dogs I have to scrap like a big dog.

That's life.
That's true. So many people on this site act like they never commit,or even think about sin.
They are the most perfect people on Earth.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblum57 View Post
There's a reason why the ones here who advocate outright lying usually are the unemployed. It says something about a person's (dare I say it) character.
Another perfect one.....
I'm guessing you would rather live on the streets?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:46 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,420,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That's true. So many people on this site act like they never commit,or even think about sin.
They are the most perfect people on Earth.
I don't think it's that people are perfect. But the seriousness and impact of this is quite high. A lot of people probably eat stuff past the expiration date, throw a soda can in the trash on occasion or hang out at a park after it closes. But lying on your resume is a whole other level. It's as bad as evading taxes or talking on the phone while driving. You're impact on society is significant.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think it's that people are perfect. But the seriousness and impact of this is quite high. A lot of people probably eat stuff past the expiration date, throw a soda can in the trash on occasion or hang out at a park after it closes. But lying on your resume is a whole other level. It's as bad as evading taxes or talking on the phone while driving. You're impact on society is significant.
What about omitting a job that you worked for one day and walked out?
I don't put jobs like that on my resume.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,420,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What about omitting a job that you worked for one day and walked out?
I don't put jobs like that on my resume.
I don't see that as lying.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,750,729 times
A couple of years ago I would have said "no......never........don't lie........it's wrong and dishonest and just bad bad bad"

A couple of years ago I would have said "don't point to the bad behavior of employers to justify your bad behavior as a (potential) employee".

Now? If you need a job, you need a job. If you have to put food on the table, you have to put food on the table.

No-name get by jobs - lie about whatever you have to lie about, to get to the burger joint cash register.

Professional jobs - lie smart. Know what HR can check on (dates, salaries, benefits, job titles) and keep it honest 'cause they may check. Embellish whatever you think you can get away to get the job. Don't lose sleep over it when you get the job.

I hate to say all of that, but this isn't the Land of Oz and you have to take care of Number 1, which is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or