U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think it's that people are perfect. But the seriousness and impact of this is quite high. A lot of people probably eat stuff past the expiration date, throw a soda can in the trash on occasion or hang out at a park after it closes. But lying on your resume is a whole other level. It's as bad as evading taxes or talking on the phone while driving. You're impact on society is significant.
This is actually laughable. I would think that the majority of people I worked with embellished their tax return in some way. Driving while distracted could kill someone, so there is no comparison.

About lying on a resume, it's just business, not personal. There are entire countries that are run on payouts and lying. A person must do so to survive. When your back is against the wall and there are no alternatives, you would be surprised at how low you would stoop to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 AM

97 posts, read 215,584 times
The resume is NOT a legal binding document that is governed by any laws..
The resume is a Marketing tool
Marketing is an industry that constantly lies, stretches the truth, and pulls no stops..

That's my summary

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Agreed to the nth degree!

My husband and I were polar opposites on this. I was the NO LIES EVER person, he is the 'fake it till ya make it' king. Guess who is still after 22 years in the job of his choice, making ohh...I think it can be up to 6-8x what I make an hour? Too much honestly gets you nowhere. Even leaning towards being honest gets you nowhere - I watch my husband time and again lie by omission all the way to outright lie and nothing seems to happen to him. And he is in a field that is littered with inexperienced people so this is something you'd want to check up on...

I have to admit even when he is caught in a lie he shrugs it off and the discovering party seems to shrug it off too. WTF? Is it the teflon reaction to being caught that enables the continuation of lying? The lack of fear???

Is it luck? His personality that makes no one think he's lying so they don't check? Can't tell you. But apparently I'm devoid of a poker face because if I even bend the truth just a hair, I have 3 people checking up on it. He doesn't even "lie smart" (per quote) and nothing happens - me? I lie about my hair color and have someone asking for a hair sample.

If there's a secret here, I want to know it!
Ha-ha. I am a woman and I think, with a few exceptions, women are more honest in business than men, which may have helped to hold them back. I have worked with a bunch of men for years and have observed the same thing. Outright fabrications, and they get away with it. When they don't deliver the lying is looked upon as them trying to the utmost of their ability to deliver. I think, once you achieve a certain salary level, lying is the norm.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
The topic has come up before.

For crappy get by jobs... lie through your teeth.
For real jobs that relate to what your quals and future should be... never lie.
You can be vague but you can't EVER lie.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Agreed. There's embellishing and there's lying. Don't put anything on your resume of a pertinent nature (i.e. education, former jobs) that isn't true. That stuff is easily checkable and if it doesn't check out, YOU'RE out. But, everyone "fluffs up" their duties at former (or current) job(s) on their resumes.
I ALWAYS increased my salary at my current job. ALWAYS.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
How do you feel about the fact that about 80% of university students routinely cheat on their exams? More importantly how do you feel about being wheeled into the operating room for surgery and you look up at some young doctor about to open you up -and wonder if you had a 20% chance of surviving the surgery due to the doctor not having a clue what he is doing?
I think we raise our kids with ideals, to make a better world in the future, hopefully; and to make life less complicated for them. On the other side, most of what I learned in college was not required on the job. It was a general business degree. I needed to know how to write passably well, to use math and apply it to situations when needed. I needed to know Accounting and Computer Science (I went to a specialty school and became a programmer later).

About the doctor, this is why a person should pick the best hospital that he can, hopefully a teaching hospital, and choose doctors who are affiliated. A good hospital tends not to tolerate bad doctors.

I don't think anyone is saying that lying is good, but in cases of desperation it is tolerable. In cases in which the company is lying, why shouldn't you? In cases in which everyone else is doing it and you are being penalized because of it I don't think it will be held against you.

It is up to each of us, ultimately, what we can live with.

I remember when I was poor, walking to the store to save gas money. I passed a house and just under a car door in the driveway there was a HUGE roll of bills. I didn't take it. I'd go nowhere near it, for fear of what I might do. Geeze, was I ever scared at how much I was pulled to that money afterward. It haunted me. I was hungry and living on pretty much the ol' rice and beans diet.

My fortunes changed nicely, but I am much more temperate about judging others if I'm not in their shoes. Sure, cheating and lying are wrong, but there are cases in which we do it. You have to know the game in order to play. There is what people tell you it is, and then there is the actual practice.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The topic has come up before.

For crappy get by jobs... lie through your teeth.
For real jobs that relate to what your quals and future should be... never lie.
You can be vague but you can't EVER lie.
There are people who lie to get a job in their desired field, perform excellently to get a track record, and then go on to their next job not having to lie. They lied to get their foot in the door of their chosen field.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,425,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There are people who lie to get a job in their desired field, perform excellently to get a track record, and then go on to their next job not having to lie. They lied to get their foot in the door of their chosen field.
And there are those of us who aren't scumbags and work harder so that we don't have to lie in the first place.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,625,575 times
Well if employers can lie the employee might as well too right?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,625,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And there are those of us who aren't scumbags and work harder so that we don't have to lie in the first place.
Except that working hard doesn't guarantee you anything...so what if working hard and lying both got you what you wanted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or