U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 PM

880 posts, read 1,738,259 times

Advertisements

I lie to a merit, meaning I lie when I'm positive they won't find out about something. Granted, I won't lie about my experiences because they can obviously look it up if they wish to see my records but I lie about my abilities and what I know and make bs up sometimes to amuse them. I think this is the "best" way of lying without easily getting caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,871,403 times
Like some of us always say, the ones that doth protest too much are the biggest offenders. Surely big banks and everyone on Wall Street never lies too. Surely the corporate mega Titans never lie, cheat or embezzle. They're all angels with halos floating in the sky among the clouds. What is a little white lie or resume omission compared to what Madoff has done?

It would be fun to start taking notes on every single phone conversation and interview and then comparing who has lied and how. I bet I would catch a lot more employers.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,445,512 times
Moderator cut: snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Like some of us always say, the ones that doth protest too much are the biggest offenders. Surely big banks and everyone on Wall Street never lies too. Surely the corporate mega Titans never lie, cheat or embezzle. They're all angels with halos floating in the sky among the clouds. What is a little white lie or resume omission compared to what Madoff has done?

It would be fun to start taking notes on every single phone conversation and interview and then comparing who has lied and how. I bet I would catch a lot more employers.
The part I bolded is just something that dishonest people tell themselves to make them feel better. And no one ever said the rich and powerful don't lie. We are saying that the people who BECOME the embezzlers and cheats are the ones who start out with a 'little white lie'. The Madoffs of the world start with the little white lie when they are young, and keep lying (and justifying it) until they do real harm.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-10-2012 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post to which you responded has been deleted

Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,928,231 times
Quote:

Agreed. Then you have the self righteous that claim they have NEVER lied. It does not matter if it is on a resume or in some other situation in life, EVERYONE lies one way or another. So I guess that makes EVERYONE a scumbag as there is not a single one here that is 100% honest 100% of the time.

A lie is a lie, be it small white lies or big lies. The hypocrites in this thread amaze me. They lie just like everyone else. Maybe not on resumes, but there are other situations in life in which they ARE lying.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM

125 posts, read 221,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
A lie is a lie, be it small white lies or big lies.
I think there's a world of difference between a big lie and a small white lie. I guess it's just me.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,507,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And there are those of us who aren't scumbags and work harder so that we don't have to lie in the first place.
Aren't we often told to work smarter and not harder?

There are scumbags who claim that they work hard, but what they work hard at is brown nosing the boss, taking credit for the work of others, sleeping their way into a position, being favored because he is the right race or sex or belongs to the right church or political party.

We see people constantly in business getting ahead who do not really merit it on their own horsepower.
Business is often built on implication and lies.

Ask any salesman, it's not what the product really is, but what it is PERCEIVED to be that matters.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal remark

Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,445,512 times
[quote=goldengrain;27376654]Aren't we often told to work smarter and not harder?
There are scumbags who claim that they work hard, but what they work hard at is brown nosing the boss, taking credit for the work of others, sleeping their way into a position, being favored because he is the right race or belongs to the right church or political party.
We see people constantly in business getting ahead who do not really merit it on their own horsepower.
Business is often built on implication and lies.
Ask any salesman, it's not what the product really is, but what it is PERCEIVED to be that matters.

You can work smarter and harder. The people I have worked with for the last few years do both. Lying to get ahead in any way is what I have a problem with. Moderator cut: snip Personally? I have never lied to get ahead in my life, and am not going to condone anyone else doing that.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-17-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Deleted portion of quoted post that was edited out, deleted personal remark

Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That could work against you with some employers.

For example, when I was looking for a new job I told the truth about my current salary.

It's a good thing I did, because later after I got the new offer I got an email about my first day of work (which was coming up on the next day) and what to bring. One of the things they wanted me to bring was my most recent paystub. I brought it and they took a photocopy of it. Now what would have happened if I had lied about my salary? I would have been up s____ creek!
This never happened to me. Guess I was just lucky. My stated salary was always in the range of reasonability. I worked for about five companies that are all household names.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Of course. Bernie Madoff was the head of NASDAQ. Do you think he just started lying in this little scam he pulled out of the blue? Chances are he made an entire career out of lying. He'd have had to be very good at it, very practiced, to pull off his scam, wouldn't he? Business is BUILT on lies.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,502,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Except that working hard doesn't guarantee you anything...so what if working hard and lying both got you what you wanted?
Working hard takes you farther than lies. Just like an honest job takes you farther than theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or