U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM

125 posts, read 221,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Hell no I haven't done it!! And would never do it!

So it really wouldn't bother you knowing that you got a job under false pretenses? Really?

How do you feel knowing that you would be a LIAR?

That you cheated an employer?

That you are untrustworthy?

These really sound like good skills for a job!

You know, there are ways to talk about troublesome areas of your work history without resorting to lying.

I too have listed closed businesses on my resume, because it's part of my work history, and some of the people are on my reference list. Plus, I had some pretty good successes there. So, yes list it. You can always explain that it closed...and hopefully not as a result of anything you did! Perhaps you can share how you helped the company financially. I did in my case.

If I was interviewing you, and I knew you were lying (yes, there are ways to confirm), you'd be screwed & blackballed from ever applying to my company again.

Lying & cheating is not the way to get a job.
Amoral people have no qualms about lying or cheating. Personally, I am happy I have a great job and also have morals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,919,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13;27396303
But my credit is another thing when it has nothing to do with the description of the job I am applying for. When I saw that credit check authorization form, I knew the whole thing was BS.:rolleyes: [B
Do they want to help the Hurricane victims or not? That's the bottom line. There are plenty of unemployed both clerical and manual clean up labor people people here to help[/b]. Red Cross is another one. I didn't even bother applying to any of their job listings.
Apparently not.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Your credit or FICA score is NOT why employers use the CR as a tool.
It is an objective source for accurate data that can be used equally with all applicants.
That's all.
Yea... I don't see why anyone would get upset about a credit check....oh.. maybe because you cannot lie about it?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
. . .

If I was interviewing you, and I knew you were lying (yes, there are ways to confirm), you'd be screwed & blackballed from ever applying to my company again.

Lying & cheating is not the way to get a job.
You, an honest person, are competing against what is probably the majority, who are lying and cheating.
Like the athlete who does not take performance enhancing substances, you are increasing the odds of your own failure by not doing so.

Like some religious figure, you end up losing, but have a wonderfully clear conscience.

Lying is enhanced exaggeration. During my business life most people lied where they could get away with it and not be scrutinized. Exaggeration is not honest, essentially it is a lie, often geared to mislead the receiver; one if questioned, you have ready a 'bs' explanation for.

When I was a child I was taught there are sins of omission and sins of commission. Commission is when you mislead by twisting the facts, but omission is just as bad, you don't divulge ALL the facts resulting in also misleading the receiver. So, in the honest world, you would also list failures on your resume. You see, none of us is honest, it is only the degree of hypocrisy that we argue about here.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You, an honest person, are competing against what is probably the majority, who are lying and cheating.
Like the athlete who does not take performance enhancing substances, you are increasing the odds of your own failure by not doing so.
There's been some hiccups, but for the most part, the successful athletes do not use drugs. Michael Jordan never took enhancement drugs.
Quote:

Like some religious figure, you end up losing, but have a wonderfully clear conscience.
Religion is an interesting thing to bring into this. Since majority of the US is Christian, majority of the US is under the belief that lying in order to get a job will send them to hell.
Quote:

Lying is enhanced exaggeration. During my business life most people lied where they could get away with it and not be scrutinized. Exaggeration is not honest, essentially it is a lie, often geared to mislead the receiver; one if questioned, you have ready a 'bs' explanation for.
I suppose.
Quote:

When I was a child I was taught there are sins of omission and sins of commission. Commission is when you mislead by twisting the facts, but omission is just as bad, you don't divulge ALL the facts resulting in also misleading the receiver. So, in the honest world, you would also list failures on your resume. You see, none of us is honest, it is only the degree of hypocrisy that we argue about here.
According to this and the Christian faith, we're all going to hell.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM

When I was young I was idealistic. I believed that society was basically honest and that good effort got its reward. It took me some time to learn to be more assertive and to sing my own praises, which I always thought was tacky. I still think it's tacky, and really dislike it when I or someone else does this, but this is the world we inherited. I wish it were otherwise.

I have known ex headhunters and they even said if you are lying where you can't get caught, do it.

The business world works on deception. Maybe in some lower level clerical jobs this is not the case, but just like cheating on taxes, the more money you have, the more opportunity for twisting the truth.

Think in terms of those making over $250k annually. On one day they pay x in taxes and on the next day they should be paying x + y. Lying can be as simple as the difference a day makes. Did you ever wonder about who made the rule to add 'y' to their tax payment? Could that person be the real cheat?

(please do not extrapolate my political persuasion from that)

The same with the arbitrariness of corporate America. Is the cheat the person who expects ridiculous qualifications to be met to be hired or the person who recognizes this and so embellishes the resume?

Old 12-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
When I was young I was idealistic. I believed that society was basically honest and that good effort got its reward. It took me some time to learn to be more assertive and to sing my own praises, which I always thought was tacky. I still think it's tacky, and really dislike it when I or someone else does this, but this is the world we inherited. I wish it were otherwise.

I have known ex headhunters and they even said if you are lying where you can't get caught, do it.

The business world works on deception. Maybe in some lower level clerical jobs this is not the case, but just like cheating on taxes, the more money you have, the more opportunity for twisting the truth.

Think in terms of those making over $250k annually. On one day they pay x in taxes and on the next day they should be paying x + y. Lying can be as simple as the difference a day makes. Did you ever wonder about who made the rule to add 'y' to their tax payment? Could that person be the real cheat?

(please do not extrapolate my political persuasion from that)

The same with the arbitrariness of corporate America. Is the cheat the person who expects ridiculous qualifications to be met to be hired or the person who recognizes this and so embellishes the resume?
Your post comes off as very bias. Just saying....

Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your post comes off as very bias. Just saying....
Certainly it's biased. It's expressing a point of view. Like debating in college where the prof picks the side you'll be on.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Certainly it's biased. It's expressing a point of view.
He was trying to be polite.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 AM

37 posts, read 71,061 times
I lied on my resume for a long time and said I was at my second to last job for way longer than I was. I adjusted the date this week to be the correct, and decided to just say I quit because I didn't like it if they ask. Especially since I had a longer term job after that. If they ask me about gaps I'll tell the truth 1) it was just starting to get really hard to find a job 2) I truly was dealing with a family issue and 3) I did have a temp job at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or