U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 05:11 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,477,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, Christianity has been a great supporter of pantries and the like. There's nothing wrong with heading to a good pantry as long as you really need it (according to the religion). What's your point?

You completely missed the point. 80% of the population considers themselves Christian, however majority of the folks participating in this thread are not Christian (since Christians cannot lie on the resume or job interview). The irony here is that this thread is not a good sample of the general population. Either that, or most people are wrong about being Christian.
Ha! To be Christian is to admit that you're a sinner. You still sin, but are washed clean in God's eyes through the blood of the Lamb.

Sure, there are lying Christians. Christ did not come for the perfect. He came for the lowest of the low.

This thread may be a good sample of the population. People are anonymous here and can admit the truth without fear of repercussion. I think more people are lying now than ever before. Desperate times bring desperate measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,477,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Yep. And like with the interview situation I brought up. If you are telling an interviewer what you "think" they want to hear instead of actually how you really feel, you are withholding the TRUTH about how you really feel. Why not just be HONEST and say what you really think and feel instead of puffing up the interviewer with FALSE statements? You are right about it being deception, goldengrain.
I see it this way. Children, in many ways, see the world as black and white. They are taught that certain things are bad and that you should not do them. This is because they don't have the reasoning ability nor the life experience to judge nuance. The part of your brain that allows you to make wise judgments is not fully developed until you are in your twenties.

As you grow, if you are observant, you notice that almost every rule has its exception. Things are not so cut and dried as you were taught as a kid. The world is not so simple. It's complicated. You often are weighing two dubious outcomes in your decision making, not one good and one evil outcome.

Some people find adulthood too complex and long for the simplicity of childhood, so they cling to beliefs and religions that still define the world in that way.

Looking at this situation in a non religious way, and please don't take my political leanings from what I am about to say - it is a LOT simpler and easier to get a handle on to focus on banning or better controlling guns in the country than to look at and fix the abysmal state of mental health services here.

Other countries seem to have it together more. In France a psychiatrist was convicted because of his negligence which ultimately ended in murder. In England when such things happen there is a huge inquest of the doctor by both his medical peers and the law. Here, records are simply sealed.

Parents sometimes have little recourse to help their children. There are all sorts of mental help facilities, but each may have differing solutions to problems. There is no coordination between these services. There can be a tremendous burden on people, both through time and finances, in an attempt to get help. Too often strained services find drugs as a quick solution. Sometimes these backfire.

So, our concept of right and wrong, as religion teaches us, is often too simple to deal with the confusion that modern life brings us and some are lead to take the easy way out by simply saying 'lying (or whatever) is wrong'.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,194,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
So you exaggerate, which is as much as your field will let you get away with.
To me and to some others, allowing another to labor under a misconception when I know the difference is a lie. It's deception, plain and simple. I don't try to rationalize my way out of it.

Yes. If you can lie and get caught in it you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing so.

When you think of it, some politicians who are very high up in the pecking order have been caught plagiarizing. So have some journalists. To me, the fact that some were caught indicates that there are probably others, perhaps many, who were not caught.

Frankly, I think a job is a job. They should have no business looking into personal business like on Facebook. I even think they should not know your credit rating. There are people who amass debt just to feed their family who would never cheat their employer. I think, time and again, the odds are being stacked in favor of business and against the citizen in this country. We are resources to them, not really people. How can you treat anything like that with either loyalty or honesty?

Heck, the reason we are in the bad financial straits that we are is because of business ruling this country behind the skirts of our politicians.
I don't exaggerate. If I did I would have to say I work on a secret moon base and time travel....LOL. My resume speaks for itself and is very straight forward (Christopher Curtis | LinkedIn). If I did lie my ass would be toast. Every position or edu I have or had if verifiable with goverment orders, DD214, checking license numbers or calling a school. And I have to leave off things like training because it goes past 2 pages on a resume. I should add that too my linkedin thou but that's another story.

I do think census data isn't accurate. I think less people have degrees then the data says. People are generally ok with lying and census data isn't verified.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,404,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, Christianity has been a great supporter of pantries and the like. There's nothing wrong with heading to a good pantry as long as you really need it (according to the religion). What's your point?
My "point"? What "point" are you taking about?

I've never said I was a "christian" and I always side eye anyone that tells me what a "good Christian" they are. Man, miss me with the bullcrap!

Christians are just conniving, malcontent, evil, envious and prideful as everyone else.

Again, I will do WHATEVER I HAVE TO DO to get a job in this messed up economy. The "corporation" is far from "Christian". I will do AS THEY DO.

The days of working for a company FOREVER (unless you live in Los Angeles) is over. As soon as you go over their "invisible" salary cap that they won't tell you about, you will be gone and somebody else will replace you at half your salary.

The guilt-trip you are trying to lay on me won't work. Save it for the "Christians". LOL

Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,860,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
My "point"? What "point" are you taking about?

I've never said I was a "christian" and I always side eye anyone that tells me what a "good Christian" they are. Man, miss me with the bullcrap!

Christians are just conniving, malcontent, evil, envious and prideful as everyone else.

Again, I will do WHATEVER I HAVE TO DO to get a job in this messed up economy. The "corporation" is far from "Christian". I will do AS THEY DO.

The days of working for a company FOREVER (unless you live in Los Angeles) is over. As soon as you go over their "invisible" salary cap that they won't tell you about, you will be gone and somebody else will replace you at half your salary.

The guilt-trip you are trying to lay on me won't work. Save it for the "Christians". LOL
TOTALLY. The Born-Agains are the biggest liers of them all. The holy rollers and moralists on here are probably the biggest of the fibbers when it comes to job seeking. I encountered these clowns in the workplace, at my previous jobs. They wrote the book on "laying it thick." There are all just posers.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 AM

If their God expects me to tell the truth and nothin' but the truth, I hope he's got a job for me and will pay my rent. Otherwise..don't want to hear it.

I will tell the truth when the employers, interviewers, recruiters, and others in this system start telling the truth. When they start being truthful and accept others being truthful with them, then I have no problem. Until then I will do whatever needs to be done to get hired.And stay hired. If we have to play "The Hunger Games".... Bring it on, baby.

BRING IT ON. I am ...GAME.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM

455 posts, read 1,194,131 times
How does lying have anything to do with religion? I find those who aren't held accountable will lie. Those held accountable will lie too but they are playing with fire.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Lying has nothing to do with religion. Many instances of people lying in all religious books. Some people either don't read or don't have a good memory.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
How does lying have anything to do with religion? I find those who aren't held accountable will lie. Those held accountable will lie too but they are playing with fire.

I don't know, you need to ask NJBest that question.

I'm glad there are those "truthful" christians though.

The more job opportunities for ME. LOL!!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
If their God expects me to tell the truth and nothin' but the truth, I hope he's got a job for me and will pay my rent. Otherwise..don't want to hear it.

I will tell the truth when the employers, interviewers, recruiters, and others in this system start telling the truth. When they start being truthful and accept others being truthful with them, then I have no problem. Until then I will do whatever needs to be done to get hired.And stay hired. If we have to play "The Hunger Games".... Bring it on, baby.

BRING IT ON. I am ...GAME.
I play the same game they do.

There is no reason for them to check my credit rating, unless I'll be handling large sums of money which I probably won't. I don't mind criminal background checks as my record is clean. The employer doesn't need a copy of my paystubs, W2s or any other financial info that doesn't concern them.

I hear the reasons they want this is to confirm and "compare" a salary offer to you. I don't believe it. They're lying. They want this info to be NOSEY!! It doesn't matter what you made before, because they already have a salary CURRENTLY in mind which they plan on giving you no matter what you made previously.

Also, giving them access to facebook accounts is the absolute in disgust which is why I got rid of my facebook years ago. I can't control the people who have pics of me on their accounts, but as long as I don't have one, I'm cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or