Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 AM

763 posts, read 2,596,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If people assume you have a PhD and you don't dissuade them, you are most definitely lying.
KEY WORD = Assume. One cannot control what another one assumes about you or anything else. If you verbally TELL someone you have a PhD and you only have a HS diploma, then yes, you're lying. If you never say to anyone that you have a PhD and they make the assumption that you do, that's on them, not you. You didn't say you did and if they come back at a later date claiming you lied, you really didn't because you never said you had a PhD. THEY made that assumption all on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As a Christian, an individual only answer to God. Not to corporations and not to CEOs. If someone wants to opt out of being Christian, I have no problem with it. But it's pretty low to lie about being Christian.

Also, you're stereotyping CEOs incorrectly. Most of them are honest people.
Wow....what cave have you been living in??? CEO's are at the top of the food chain and they'll do whatever it takes to stay there. Even if it means putting the minions under him/her out of work in order to save $$$, make themselves look good to their Board of Directors and insure their job security....BELIEVE THAT!!! They could care LESS about the well being of their employees as long as they don't lose their summer home in Bermuda, their ski chalet in Aspen and their yacht docked in Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Yep. And like with the interview situation I brought up. If you are telling an interviewer what you "think" they want to hear instead of actually how you really feel, you are withholding the TRUTH about how you really feel. Why not just be HONEST and say what you really think and feel instead of puffing up the interviewer with FALSE statements? You are right about it being deception, goldengrain.
If this is how everyone behaved at job interviews, the unemployment rate would be double what it is now.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I knew a woman that got fired from a law firm some years ago whom was set up by management.

One of the attorneys she worked for didn't like her and wanted her gone. Of course, HR and her supervisor co-signed and began the "set up". Every email her attorney sent her was blind copied to HR and her supervisor. She would make grammatical errors in the email and he would complain about this to the superiors. Mind you, she proofread his documents with complete ease, so he couldn't say she was sloppy with the final product. She of course didn't know what they were doing, because she believed she and her attorney were fine. He smiled in her face and made it seem like everything was good.

They called her in the office and put her through "guaranteed to fail" requirements to get "back on track" as found in the book "CORPORATE CONFIDENTIAL". She failed, they offered her a great severance, said she would be guaranteed a good reference and not be turned down for unemployment. She took it. She eventually found a job again through a "hook up", so it turned out okay for her, but as we all know it could have been much worse.

Again, everyone needs to look out for THEMSELVES.
WOW....This same exact thing happened to me in September.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,509,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Wow....what cave have you been living in??? CEO's are at the top of the food chain and they'll do whatever it takes to stay there. Even if it means putting the minions under him/her out of work in order to save $$$, make themselves look good to their Board of Directors and insure their job security....BELIEVE THAT!!! They could care LESS about the well being of their employees as long as they don't lose their summer home in Bermuda, their ski chalet in Aspen and their yacht docked in Ft. Lauderdale.
Kudos. Well articulated!! They make alpha wolves look like puppies in a sandbox.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I know a lot of CEOs. I can drop specific names but you won't know them anyways. But here are a few:

Mary M.: CEO of SugarPlum Icecream LLC. She is retired, in her 60s and owns two icecream trucks that are operated by her and her husband during the summer years. Nothing dishonest about how she runs her business.

Carl Sigle.: CEO of Sigle & Sons Inc. an excavation company that consists of himself, his 3 sons, and 2 other employees.

Claudio D.: CEO of Claudio's Pizzeria LLC. and Electronic Party Entertainment Inc. The pizzeria has under 20 employees (mostly family) and the entertainment company is run by him and his wife.

These are all CEOs that I am currently handling finances for at the current moment. I'm sure you know honest CEOs as well.
These are Mom & Pop CEOs. Nothing against them, but they're not going to throw their own family under the bus.

OTOH, Fortune 500 CEO's will throw anyone under the bus if it means a healthy bottom line.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,296 times
Quote:
WOW....This same exact thing happened to me in September.
Really?? I'm very sorry to hear how they BACKSTABBED YOU.

And I'm sure you had no clue there was anything "seriously" wrong, did you?

This is why I say to hell with the corporations and it's every man/woman for him/herself.

The only thing I would advise is to NOT plan on working there forever and to start saving up with your very first check to get some sort of business started or becoming an independent contractor on the side.

Can you give an explanation of how they set you up as a warning to others?

FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,779,527 times
Quote:
If this is how everyone behaved at job interviews, the unemployment rate would be double what it is now.

I agree, but I think if you have positive energy and maintain a pleasant demeanor you will find that you will be liked by many interviewers.

9,855 posts, read 15,153,802 times
Quote:
These are Mom & Pop CEOs. Nothing against them, but they're not going to throw their own family under the bus.

OTOH, Fortune 500 CEO's will throw anyone under the bus if it means a healthy bottom line.
What makes you say that? I have never yet met a corporate exec. who had that attitude.

Have you ever actually met a corporate exec?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,509,789 times
I have worked in corporate litigation for 6 years in cutthroat New York City as a paralegal. I was the one doing the legal research, dealing with clients, dealing with court system. I have personally had actual evidence that CEOs will sell their own mother for profit.. and definitely their spouses and children. Don't you read the Wall Street Journal? You know what that is, right? You've heard of Gordon Gecko, right? How about the Madoff family...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search