U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,544,097 times
Reputation: 12835

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
....and guess what? I am entitled to my opinion -- biased or otherwise.
No one said anything otherwise. However an argument based off of a biased opinion is a weak argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 PM
 
753 posts, read 2,261,722 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No one said anything otherwise. However an argument based off of a biased opinion is a weak argument.
YOU think it's biased. I may feel YOUR opinion is biased. It's all subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,934,007 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Really?? I'm very sorry to hear how they BACKSTABBED YOU.

And I'm sure you had no clue there was anything "seriously" wrong, did you?

This is why I say to hell with the corporations and it's every man/woman for him/herself.

The only thing I would advise is to NOT plan on working there forever and to start saving up with your very first check to get some sort of business started or becoming an independent contractor on the side.

Can you give an explanation of how they set you up as a warning to others?

Because they sure as heck are going to cover their behinds. They won't get any more loyalty than the pittance of loyalty they give to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,525,715 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
. . .


People go out of their way to lie in interviews just to get a job, and then a manager is stuck with a person who can't do the work, or can't do it as effectively. Regardless of ability, it is extremely difficult to fire someone. Have you ever been through legal training on how to fire someone? It takes months upon months (typically over a year) of documenting poor performance before a person can be fired without the risk of a lawsuit, during which time the manager's team is suffering. A manager has a lot to worry about, and slimy applicants trying to screw a company over by lying about skills and backgrounds in interviews does nothing but hurt the decent, honest people on a team who have to make up for the liar's slack.
That's why you stipulate, like Chielgirl does, there is a six month trial period. Either it works out, or you let the person go. As long as the trial period is understood by both parties, it is not that difficult to fire the person.

I really disagree with the depiction of the American worker as some lazy good for nothing. Maybe, if you are working with unskilled people, but I don't remember anyone I've worked with who fit that description, including the secretarial staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,525,715 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
KEY WORD = Assume. One cannot control what another one assumes about you or anything else. If you verbally TELL someone you have a PhD and you only have a HS diploma, then yes, you're lying. If you never say to anyone that you have a PhD and they make the assumption that you do, that's on them, not you. You didn't say you did and if they come back at a later date claiming you lied, you really didn't because you never said you had a PhD. THEY made that assumption all on their own.
No. If you knowingly allow them to labor under false information, you are perpetuating that falsehood. You may not feel that you are lying, but it is a lie by omission. It is simply and plainly dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,525,715 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
If this is how everyone behaved at job interviews, the unemployment rate would be double what it is now.
Well, if everyone stopped lying all at once the situation would probably be similar to what it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,525,715 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What makes you say that? I have never yet met a corporate exec. who had that attitude.

Have you ever actually met a corporate exec?
Yes, I have, and will bet you have not met many. Naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,525,715 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's all your biased opinion.
Yes, and you are obviously biased in the other direction. We have different life experiences, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
 
753 posts, read 2,261,722 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
No. If you knowingly allow them to labor under false information, you are perpetuating that falsehood. You may not feel that you are lying, but it is a lie by omission. It is simply and plainly dishonest.
I guess you could say it falls under the "don't ask, don't tell" rule!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
 
991 posts, read 925,211 times
Reputation: 828
I could lose my CPA license for making false statements in an interview. Thankfully, I have a sense of morality and have never resorted (nor ever would) to such a tactic. I have been honest about my skills, abilities, and achievements and have been gainfully employed since graduating from college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top