U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblum57 View Post
I quote the OP's post below, bolding is mine.

I was responding to the notion that you will get away with it simply because the employer is out of business. This is what the poster I referenced believed. He was nailed. It's not something you'll get caught on every time, I'm sure. The trouble is you're not safe simply because you got the job. It could be discovered, perhaps inadvertently, at any time during your employment and justify your termination. If a poster like Mystique13 wants to downplay that risk, that's fine. I'm simply stating that it is a real risk and carries serious consequences.
Exactly. What happens when the guy who fixes the photocopier comes in and recognizes you and let's the cat slip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM

930 posts, read 1,639,977 times
Ive said it before, but the great thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said the last time.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,381,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Hello, I was wondering about this topic lately because of the tough job market and economy. I've mainly been truthful about my skills and work history and most of the time I've been screwed up the know what. I want to start telling lies on my resume and interview because I feel that is the best way to get a job offer rather than to tell the truth and get screwed over. I want to put a company that is out of business on my resume and hopefully receive some phone calls/emails from employers/recruiters; they cannot contact the employer because they out of business. I know for a fact that A LOT of people lie on their resume and in interviews and most get away with it!!! I understand that some people will say that don't lie because it will come back to haunt you well I say so what??? Telling that lie got you the interview and the job offer. There are Fortune 500 company CEO's that have lied for example the former Yahoo CEO who lied about his computer science degree and even though he got fired he still got over 5 million dollars in pay!!!

What do you guys think about this? Have you done it? and if so what was the result?

Anything helps guys because I do read all of your post and respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance
on a Resume, no, it can come back to haunt me, as for interview, maybe, you want to tell them what they want to hear

Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
In order to survive, you need food and shelter.

In order to gain food and shelter, you need money.

In order to gain money, you must have a job or receive government assistance.

In order to survive, people will do whatever it takes to survive. As the saying goes, when people have nothing to lose they lose it. These older folks you see robbing gas stations and convenience stores just so they can get arrested is because society has decided that they are worthless. Yet, if they couldn't find some type of health insurance they would die as they didn't have access to the necessary care or medicine without health insurance (as it would be far too expensive for them to afford given they didn't have a job nor the employer contribution). As a result, since they figure the only way they could get the health care they need is by going to prison and since society has already deemed them as worthless, they tossed all of their morals/ethics to the wayside and did what they had to do.

Really, saying a job isn't worth anything is just dumb, no other way to put it.
Let's be frank, putting yourself in such a position where lying is your only option is dumb. Why should everyone else gain merit and earn their success with honesty while the low quality people lie their way into jobs and promotions?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,893,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why should everyone else gain merit and earn their success with honesty while the low quality people lie their way into jobs and promotions?
Why should I worry about everyone else?

It's not as if everyone else worries about me.

I'm going to do whatever it takes to look out for my well being first and foremost, provided I don't lose money or land in jail in the process. Sorry.

I personally have been burned too many times "doing the right thing by others."

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-30-2012 at 12:51 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 01:36 AM

300 posts, read 1,015,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Why should I worry about everyone else?

It's not as if everyone else worries about me.

I'm going to do whatever it takes to look out for my well being first and foremost, provided I don't lose money or land in jail in the process. Sorry.

I personally have been burned too many times "doing the right thing by others."
I totally agree; in the end you must worry about yourself and not anyone else. I've been burned also many times and they expect us to be honest? No way. As long as one can backup their lie than it should be good.

I'm not advising people to lie about being a heart surgeon when they are not but it's more of just things that you can get away with. Most of the time a job can be taught to almost anyone because it gets repetitive over the course of say 3 months. Employers already assume that your going to lie because of the interviews/interrogations, background checks, reference checks, education, etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 AM

306 posts, read 345,566 times
f
Quote:
I totally agree; in the end you must worry about yourself and not anyone else. I've been burned also many times and they expect us to be honest? No way. As long as one can backup their lie than it should be good.

I'm not advising people to lie about being a heart surgeon when they are not but it's more of just things that you can get away with. Most of the time a job can be taught to almost anyone because it gets repetitive over the course of say 3 months. Employers already assume that your going to lie because of the interviews/interrogations, background checks, reference checks, education, etc.
Where do you get the idea that employers expect you to lie? It seems like you are trying to look for ways to justify this. The bottom line with me is that, if you're lying to qualify yourself, you're not meant to have the job in the first place. It's not about being "burned" and all this. Many people have been screwed over before. Nobody is in a position where they have to lie to get an interview. There are jobs out there that you can do. If you think you need to lie to be considered then you are applying for the wrong kinds of jobs.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 2,604,381 times
Lying can hurt your career forever if you are found out.

Not worth it, at all.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
If all you have to offer in the way of a reference is a company which is out of business it's highly unlikely your application will even make the first cut and will be dumped in "File 13" immediately. Knock your socks off ...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,893,462 times
Quote:

Agreed.

You only stretch the truth when you can get away with it, and use it as a last resort.

In a perfect world, everyone would be honest with each other and treat everyone else with respect.

Too bad we don't live in a perfect world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or