U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,782,193 times
Reputation: 1532

Advertisements

Make up your previous job experience, and references - I think that's going a bit too far and could land you in serious trouble if caught.

However reading some people Resumes, there are so many resumes, after reading it you would think the person was running the entire company as opposed to doing a fairly straightforward job where they had limited authority, and how they actually talk about their job as opposed to actual reality of what they do.

I think most employers see through this, and look at the job title - even then job titles sometimes a project co-ordinator becomes a project manager even though person had no authority, no team underneath them. Or a software engineer who mentors a few juniors, becomes a senior software engineer who leads a team.

I have noticed another trend - people who put Engineer in their Job title - when they don't have a degree in Engineering, do mostly admin based work sitting at desk, and would probably struggle changing a lightbulb- but somehow they become an engineer- An Accountant becomes a Cost Engineer, then a year later there senior cost engineer.

Or people in meeting who talk the talk in meetings, in reality they sit at their desk all day in silence, surf the net, and their out the door sharp at 5PM.

If your honest at least you can look yourself in the mirror- as opposed to deluding yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,607,585 times
Reputation: 3351
Default Thumbs up to the OP

OP - Hope you're not letting the "moralists" on this thread discourage you - keep in mind that it's just a handful of the same folks who love to preach that their way is the only way - i.e., the Corporate Overlord is Always Right. As for me, I agree 100% in that you "gotta do what you gotta do" to get hired, with the stipulation that you never, ever get caught (which means making your "story" as tight and iron-clad as any truth, which can be done if enough thought and effort is put into it).

What I don't understand how so many people can have empathy for what is essentially a non-human entity, which is what a corporation is. And the person applying for a job is essentially a corporation of one, namely the resource that the bigger corporation uses to maximize their profit. Corporations lie all the time, and they get away with it, because they can. So, what's the deal with having distaste for those who are playing the same game? Fair's fair in the Game of Life, and I have a real problem with folks that insist that I play by a different set of rules than the big boys. Uh uh, no sireee. That's one game I refuse to play.

Want everyone to be honest? Well then, give me a society where everyone is a millionaire and people only work because they want to, not because they have to. Ain't gonna happen, so deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,655,449 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
OP - Hope you're not letting the "moralists" on this thread discourage you - keep in mind that it's just a handful of the same folks who love to preach that their way is the only way - i.e., the Corporate Overlord is Always Right. As for me, I agree 100% in that you "gotta do what you gotta do" to get hired, with the stipulation that you never, ever get caught (which means making your "story" as tight and iron-clad as any truth, which can be done if enough thought and effort is put into it).

What I don't understand how so many people can have empathy for what is essentially a non-human entity, which is what a corporation is. And the person applying for a job is essentially a corporation of one, namely the resource that the bigger corporation uses to maximize their profit. Corporations lie all the time, and they get away with it, because they can. So, what's the deal with having distaste for those who are playing the same game? Fair's fair in the Game of Life, and I have a real problem with folks that insist that I play by a different set of rules than the big boys. Uh uh, no sireee. That's one game I refuse to play.

Want everyone to be honest? Well then, give me a society where everyone is a millionaire and people only work because they want to, not because they have to. Ain't gonna happen, so deal with it.
This is a very dangerous mindset. Do you not realize that for every person that embraces this, it will be that much harder for you to get a job? This is incredibly lazy and immoral on your part to suggest this. You're telling people that IT IS alright to lie to get what you want. smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Reputation: 43291
Looks like the Ethics classes some of you took (and the home training your parents gave you when you were little) didn't take. Oh well, karma has a way of biting people in the ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Petticoat Junction
930 posts, read 1,639,766 times
Reputation: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
This is a very dangerous mindset. Do you not realize that for every person that embraces this, it will be that much harder for you to get a job? This is incredibly lazy and immoral on your part to suggest this. You're telling people that IT IS alright to lie to get what you want. smh

Looks like someone chummed the waters and someone else bit down hard.


Just say no......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,655,449 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Just say no......
I believe that's what I have been saying all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
2,043 posts, read 4,859,011 times
Reputation: 3336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
OP - Hope you're not letting the "moralists" on this thread discourage you - keep in mind that it's just a handful of the same folks who love to preach that their way is the only way - i.e., the Corporate Overlord is Always Right. As for me, I agree 100% in that you "gotta do what you gotta do" to get hired, with the stipulation that you never, ever get caught (which means making your "story" as tight and iron-clad as any truth, which can be done if enough thought and effort is put into it).

What I don't understand how so many people can have empathy for what is essentially a non-human entity, which is what a corporation is. And the person applying for a job is essentially a corporation of one, namely the resource that the bigger corporation uses to maximize their profit. Corporations lie all the time, and they get away with it, because they can. So, what's the deal with having distaste for those who are playing the same game? Fair's fair in the Game of Life, and I have a real problem with folks that insist that I play by a different set of rules than the big boys. Uh uh, no sireee. That's one game I refuse to play.

Want everyone to be honest? Well then, give me a society where everyone is a millionaire and people only work because they want to, not because they have to. Ain't gonna happen, so deal with it.
Very well said. And this is the reality, no matter what the moralists say/do. They themselves probably do some of the so called "lying" or other "misrepresentations." Corporations not only lie, they are greedy; they take real property from people (eminent domain), steal from their 401K and other pension type plans, lie about the dangers of chemicals and drugs, pollute the environment, finance wars for profit, "buy" politicians, fire qualified people 'cos they're "too old" (subjective) and of course, lie about jobs and about the nature of the boss you will be working for. These are just a few grievances well known to most people who live in the real world. ---I almost forgot: widespread discrimination against long term unemployed and anyone getting "gov't assistance" (unemployment or other).

The big boys are definitely playing by their own rules. You cannot be a rabbit living among a forest of foxes. WE cannot be rabbits. Do what you need to do to get a job. Are the moralists paying your rent? I hope they find you a tent city to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,607,585 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Looks like the Ethics classes some of you took (and the home training your parents gave you when you were little) didn't take. Oh well, karma has a way of biting people in the ass.
Well, I've been "bitten in the ass" more times than I can count - call it a bad hand of cards, if you will. As for my parents, well, that was just one big mess of confusion, as my mother taught me that it was "okay to lie sometimes" and my dad gave me a spanking whenever he was mad, regardless of how I was behaving at the time. So, as far as moral standards go, I just do what's best for me, myself and I - just like the corporations so many folks on here worship without restriction.

People have treated me rather poorly throughout most of my existence, so whatever debt I've incurred for my "immoral" ways have been paid several times over, with interest to boot. Society has made it incredibly difficult for me to make a living, so why should I make it any easier for those who seek to make my life even more difficult?

So, I just play the game the best way I know how - using the rules that I see people playing by each and every day. Don't like it? Tough. You do what's best for you, and I do what's best for me. Just like the corporations do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,655,449 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Well, I've been "bitten in the ass" more times than I can count - call it a bad hand of cards, if you will. As for my parents, well, that was just one big mess of confusion, as my mother taught me that it was "okay to lie sometimes" and my dad gave me a spanking whenever he was mad, regardless of how I was behaving at the time. So, as far as moral standards go, I just do what's best for me, myself and I - just like the corporations so many folks on here worship without restriction.

People have treated me rather poorly throughout most of my existence, so whatever debt I've incurred for my "immoral" ways have been paid several times over, with interest to boot. Society has made it incredibly difficult for me to make a living, so why should I make it any easier for those who seek to make my life even more difficult?

So, I just play the game the best way I know how - using the rules that I see people playing by each and every day. Don't like it? Tough. You do what's best for you, and I do what's best for me. Just like the corporations do.
Your typical: "The world has been bad to me, therefore I must be bad to the world". I think they should refer to this as Super-Villain Syndrome, or when you correct wrongs with more wrongs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,607,585 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Your typical: "The world has been bad to me, therefore I must be bad to the world". I think they should refer to this as Super-Villain Syndrome, or when you correct wrongs with more wrongs.
So I'm a "Super-Villain" now, huh? What fun, just imagine all the cool things I can do with my awesome "super-villain" powers...mhawaaa...LOL

Nah, I'm just a regular bloke who doesn't like being a chump just so the rich man can get a little richer at my expense. Whatever rules the big boys are playing by, I go by. I just fail to see why some folks get themselves so tied up in knots over what really is perfectly logical behavior...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top