Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Why can't you ever lie? I don't really understand because even Fortune 500 CEO's lie; plus HR and hiring managers aren't that honest either. I have to disagree with you ; I think that if you must lie than you have to back it up. About 30% of what you say during the interview HR is already assuming your lying anyways. I think it's also human nature to lie for example people under oath in court and also people lie when they return items they bought at the store.
at this point I would throw my hands into the air and say 'What Ever...' and walk away from you. If you are this clueless then good luck.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 PM

306 posts, read 431,224 times
Quote:
I disagree I think some lying will help you get the job over the other candidate in fact if you don't lie than your at a disadvantage.
When I say lying is alright, I'm talking about the interview. Because getting the interview in the first place shows that they think you can do the job. After that point, they're looking to hear certain things from you in order for you to be their number one candidate. If you don't say exactly what they want to hear, it's the end of the road for you. You're not talking about a simple scripted response to a certain question, you're taking on a huge lie. You will have to be ready to respond to anything they could possibly ask you about it. And if they cannot tell that you are lying, and you get hired, you have to make sure that you stay prepared to answer anything else about it for as long as you work there. This isn't a one-time thing; this is the never-ending lie.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM

5,642 posts, read 6,204,196 times
I suppose I may be in the minority but I have never lied in an interview or on a resume. And that's not because I was concerned about being caught but simply because I think it is wrong. I know there are CEOs and lots of others that have lied to get where they are. I can't do anything about that. It doesn't make it OK for me. As cliche as it may be, I sleep better that way. If I lied to get ahead I would be compromising myself. I may not be able to raise the bar singlehandedly but that doesn't mean I don't think it's important on principle.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
And also, "embellishing" should also be used as a last resort IMO. You can do whatever's necessary to achieve your goal, as long as you don't step on anyone else's toes in the process.

If your kids are starving to death, if you're about to lose the roof over your head and you desperately in need of medication, morals and ethics quite frankly go out the door.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
Say what you need to say during the interview, but don't lie on your resume. If you do that, then you are lying about experience. You will be getting employers interested under false pretenses. It doesn't matter what somebody else does, no two situations are exactly the same. Lets assume you do that, and you somehow get hired. For whatever reason, it may come up again when you're not expecting it. If you get caught, then you have just put yourself in a position where you will have to explain to companies why you got fired. Or will you try to lie your way out of that one too?
Interesting perspective...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...reference.html

Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,035,636 times
I think there's a difference between lying and not being totally forthright.
For example, there's a job I had in the past that I don't include on my resume any longer because it was only about 10 months and is irrelevant. I didn't want to look like a job hopper so I left it off.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
You never know who the person interviewing you or checking your references is going to know. I have caught people in lies before by reaching out to people I'm acquainted with who work or used to work at an applicants former or alleged former employer.

I got an application about four years ago at a previous job. The guy had most recently worked for a small company in a niche industry. Guess what, I used to work in the same industry and knew one of the mangers at the company the guy used to work for. Total coincidence because the industry and even job I was in was completely and totally different from the previous one. I called the guy I know at the applicants former employer and got an earful. His resume went in the trash without an interview.

On the flip side I got a resume from someone who previously worked with another acquaintance and when I called to get a feel for the applicant, they got such a glowing review from the former colleague that they went to the very top of the pile and ultimately got hired.

This world is just not all that big. If you don't have a reference from a former boss, ask a former coworker for one instead. I've had a number of former coworkers ask if I could be a reference for them. I tell the person who calls that I didn't supervise them but worked closely with them and give them a great reference. (If I'm not able to give a great reference I ask the person not to use me as one. I won't lie though, lies always come back to bite you in the ass.)

Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times
Quote:
Hello, I was wondering about this topic lately because of the tough job market and economy. I've mainly been truthful about my skills and work history and most of the time I've been screwed up the know what. I want to start telling lies on my resume and interview because I feel that is the best way to get a job offer rather than to tell the truth and get screwed over. I want to put a company that is out of business on my resume and hopefully receive some phone calls/emails from employers/recruiters; they cannot contact the employer because they out of business. I know for a fact that A LOT of people lie on their resume and in interviews and most get away with it!!! I understand that some people will say that don't lie because it will come back to haunt you well I say so what??? Telling that lie got you the interview and the job offer. There are Fortune 500 company CEO's that have lied for example the former Yahoo CEO who lied about his computer science degree and even though he got fired he still got over 5 million dollars in pay!!!

What do you guys think about this? Have you done it? and if so what was the result?

Anything helps guys because I do read all of your post and respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance
Because others lie, that makes it alright? I don't think so.

Be truthful and forthright about your experience and qualifications.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,521,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And also, "embellishing" should also be used as a last resort IMO. You can do whatever's necessary to achieve your goal, as long as you don't step on anyone else's toes in the process.

If your kids are starving to death, if you're about to lose the roof over your head and you desperately in need of medication, morals and ethics quite frankly go out the door.
That's obvious, of course. It's a no brainer. Anybody who argues with that is a .
Employers are looking for a St. Francis who juggles and rides on the unicycle for $10 an hour.
And that's for the jobs that don't require college.

The white collar jobs that are supposedly open use words in their ads like young....superstar...amazing on that....phenomenal on that.... If anybody is that incredible, such person can run their own company and won't need to be a worker bee. If I'm big time Ivy League, I won't even think to apply there. I should have my own thing going on. I would just pick up the phone, and I'd have a job in a week. No need for mass applying on the Internet.

These employers are unrealistic about their qualifications and requirements. The coveted purple squirrel superstar they want doesn't want them. And people who are not that purple squirrel do whatever it takes to get a job. As they should. Otherwise they will end up in Tent City sooner or later.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM

43 posts, read 100,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It is what it is. Businessmen (the employers) lie all of the time.

I would love to be the upstanding, moral person, but I know there are millions of other individuals who will stab me in the back in a hot second for their own personal gain (it's not me). As a result, in order to hang with the big dogs I have to scrap like a big dog.

That's life.
Sadly true. Being an honerable and honest person are not qualities that help you get ahead anymore. I hate having to embellish or lie, but you gotta give them what they want to hear. I do not fault anyone for fibbing a little on their resumes. These companies could care less about the people they hire. The chew you up and spit you out the moment they decide to ship jobs overseas. I will be honest to my friends, family and the police. My employer can get @%#@.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search