Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But it was the government and financial sector that created this mess that we're living through. Part of the problem is government bailouts and special treatment towards large mega corporations. If they were allowed to fail without getting our taxpayer handouts there would be encouragement for competitors to take over.
Well, the financial sector, which perverted the government.

Here's the latest example of Rightists crowing about the Free Market, when actually it was government (ie taxpayer) investment that did the trick.

"The free market has worked its magic," the Barnett Shale Energy Education Council, an industry group, claimed over the summer.

The boom happened "away from the greedy grasp of Washington," the American Enterprise Institute, a think tank, wrote in an essay this year.
If bureaucrats "had known this was going on," the essay went on, "surely Washington would have done something to slow it down, tax it more, or stop it altogether.
"
"But those who helped pioneer the technique known as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, recall a different path. Over three decades, from the shale fields of Texas and Wyoming to the Marcellus in the Northeast, the federal government contributed more than $100 million in research to develop fracking, and billions more in tax breaks." (my emphasis)

... and then these 'Free Marketeers' turn around and offshore their profits to avoid paying taxes to the very ones who made this possible. Not just unpatriotic, but I say subverting. ACTIVELY UNDERMINING this nation.

Why do conservatives Hate America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:34 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
What do you guys think about this? Have you done it? and if so what was the result?

Anything helps guys because I do read all of your post and respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance
This is not going to sit well with the politically correct crowd. Here goes:

There are some circumstances where lying is hands down justified.

We've all read about it here. Screeners flat out asking questions that compromise PII or employment laws. The most blatant example I faced was being asked "are you married?" by an HR gatekeeper. When you are confronted with a person who is behaving in an illegal manner, you are justified in responding in kind.

In those cases, the pretense of acting in good faith goes out the window. Adjust your posture accordingly. When asked an illegal question, I don't hem and haw, stammer, or allow my body language to convey weakness or compromise. I lie as appropriate. I make believe that the question was not entirely inappropriate. Another recourse is to speak at "a higher level", e.g, cloak the "truth" in platitudes with sincerity, so that your answer could be interpreted in any number of ways. You know, how politicians do it. Some cultures lie as easily as looking you in the face. They're employed.

The end of the story. I lied. I got to speak with the people with intelligence who actually ran the place. It was a great company. Left after five years. It came out in the fullness of time that I was married. I left because I could not see myself taking the next job - a good one, but an overseas gig - because six on, two off was too high a price to pay to be away from the kids.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Guys and gals, ALL these moralist trolls are shapeshifters...they play on the side of the Banks and Big Brother Corporate.
Yes. I've noticed them on the threads that have to do with promoting clean energy, talking about what to do with global warming, being against polluting energies like oil and 'clean' coal, arguments about how unsafe our food supply is, how agri business controls our government, how pharmaceutical and insurance companies control the FDA and articles on herbal and alternate remedies.

I have read that corporations and government pay people to read and clip favorable articles all day and then troll for posts on public forums to combat the average citizen who might think something is dreadfully wrong but cannot spend half of each day gathering ammunition from magazines and the papers.

If you come across one of them, they will argue their point to the point in which their argument becomes absurd, but they will never give up. Probably, a person should try to take them to that spot where they make themselves look like dolts and then just give up.

You have a good name for them 'Corporate Shapeshifters'. That could catch on.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Guys and gals, ALL these moralist trolls are shapeshifters...they play on the side of the Banks and Big Brother Corporate.

Which means they not only support crooks and their lies, but they choose to ignore how hypocritical they are when they rail on other people for lying. Heck they support the biggest liars around and then have the nerve to point their fingers at the average joe for lying. Pffttt

Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,792 times
Sing it sister...
+1

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Which means they not only support crooks and their lies, but they choose to ignore how hypocritical they are when they rail on other people for lying. Heck they support the biggest liars around and then have the nerve to point their fingers at the average joe for lying. Pffttt
Well, they get PAID for lying, so they're part of the system, and that's ok in their minds. They hire their brains (and souls?) out for a buck. They feel when you're dead, you're dead, so they will never have to face the horrific consequences of their actions.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

If you come across one of them, they will argue their point to the point in which their argument becomes absurd, but they will never give up. Probably, a person should try to take them to that spot where they make themselves look like dolts and then just give up.
Yes, like where one person in particular in this thread was found to be a liar all along. The ones so firm about not lying are the biggest liars around.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM

Paid shills for business interests should have to divulge their alternate motivation. It's a shame that it cannot be done. These are public forums for discussion, not for the promotion of commercial interests. Sometimes on religious matters I think there are designated people who promote that organization. Whenever I mention a particular religion, the same guy pops up time and again to defend it, as though he were getting paid by them.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
This is not going to sit well with the politically correct crowd. Here goes:

There are some circumstances where lying is hands down justified.

We've all read about it here. Screeners flat out asking questions that compromise PII or employment laws. The most blatant example I faced was being asked "are you married?" by an HR gatekeeper. When you are confronted with a person who is behaving in an illegal manner, you are justified in responding in kind.

In those cases, the pretense of acting in good faith goes out the window. Adjust your posture accordingly. When asked an illegal question, I don't hem and haw, stammer, or allow my body language to convey weakness or compromise. I lie as appropriate. I make believe that the question was not entirely inappropriate. Another recourse is to speak at "a higher level", e.g, cloak the "truth" in platitudes with sincerity, so that your answer could be interpreted in any number of ways. You know, how politicians do it. Some cultures lie as easily as looking you in the face. They're employed.

The end of the story. I lied. I got to speak with the people with intelligence who actually ran the place. It was a great company. Left after five years. It came out in the fullness of time that I was married. I left because I could not see myself taking the next job - a good one, but an overseas gig - because six on, two off was too high a price to pay to be away from the kids.

Good luck.

Agreed.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 18,991 times
Default How Do You Feel About Lying On A Resume and/or Job Interview?

I've been unemployed roughly for about four years, now. During this time, I've utilized the services of employment agencies, and it's been almost a year since my last assignment. There are significant gaps on my resume due to this. I never outright lie on my resume; I just fudge the dates. I have omitted organizations in which I've worked only a month and a half or two and it didn't work out. I would never make up a company or inflate a title. I don't lie about education. The only thing I stretch are the dates to cover up the gaps. I haven't been offered a permanent position in YEARS. I've been on numerous interviews, sometimes before filling out an application, I don't even hear back from these ppl. So, I can't always assume it's because they've done a thorough background check and the dates didn't match. I always just assume it's too much competition out there and that's why I don't get hired.

However, this time, I got my foot in the door of a company that wasn't even posting jobs on a website. My last temp agency experience was within their industry, so I forwarded my resume asking if they had any openings. They happen to have had something they were trying to fill asap, as a new location opened up. HR thought I was perfect. Sent me in to speak with the manager, who seemed very interested. One more hurdle to get throug-I had to interview with the MANAGER's boss. Not quite sure how that went, but he seemed interested enough. I knew my stuff; certainly held my own in all three of the interviews within this company. That was a week ago exactly, and I haven't heard anything. I'm on pins and needles because I'm thinking what if the fact that I stretched dates prevents me from getting the job? I was upfront with HR about my sh*tty credit; they said they wouldn't be checking it for my position. Most likely they would check for education verification and terrorist lists and of course criminal. So, I'm in the clear there, but what gives? Either the manager's boss didn't like me or they uncovered the stretched dates. I haven't heard anything in a week and they were rushing me to meet all these ppl as if they were ready to hire on the spot.

It's like a catch 22-if I'm truthful, and leave those gaps on my resume, employers will NOT be interested in bringing me in for an interview. So, I just take the risk and push forward with my fudged dates, hoping and praying that the only background check they do is for criminal and they utilize the references I've provided. I guess this is the way I'll continue until I get lucky. It's really disheartening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search