Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I tried to teach my children that even if no one else knows, they will know...

But also to be wise in what you disclose to others, because others may not have your best interests at heart. Non-disclosure, or slanted partial disclosure, is not the same as lying. It is self-protection.
To me the word 'sin' means 'error' more than having a religious context.

Have you heard of a sin of commission (telling a lie) and a sin of omission (withholding a truth, the act of which favors you).

You are just telling your kids, in my humble opinion, to lie, but don't get caught.

I believe that we are talking here of deliberately allowing another party to labor under false pretenses, any way you do it, it is wrong.

But there are circumstances in which I would do it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yep.

One time I had an interviewer tell me upfront that the company has a high turnover.

Ok...why would you tell a prospective employee that your workers aren't actually happy working here?
Maybe several persons were going to individually interview you. Maybe the rest were looking for the best candidate, but this one particular person wanted a friend or relative to get the job, so he/she said this to discourage you?

Maybe this person was the only honest one of the lot.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
I'm sure no one wants to hear this, but this is my 2 cents worth. It's not only morally wrong to lie, but it is actually against God's laws. Ever hear of the 16th commandment? Google the question, what does the Bible say about lying? You will find more references than you could possibly imagine. This passage from Proverbs 6:16-19 alone speaks volumes about what God thinks about a lying tongue...it is mentioned twice regarding what the Lord hates.

16 There are six things which the Lord hates,
Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
And hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that run rapidly to evil,
19 A false witness who utters lies,
And one who spreads strife among brothers.

Even if "everyone" does it, and even if no one else knows, God sees all and knows all, and we will ALL give an account of how we lived our lives to Him when we stand before Him in judgement. End of sermon.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
It's not only morally wrong to lie, but it is actually against God's laws.
1. Not everyone's a Christian (that discussion is for another forum).

2. Even if everyone were a Christian, we're all sinners (also a discussion for another forum).

3. Greed, Lust and Gluttony (three things many business owners and managers commit all of the time) are deadly sins as well according to Christianity, yet not-so-strangely enough you're not preaching about how bad they are.

4. I hate discussing religion.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:

2. Even if everyone were a Christian, we're all sinners (also a discussion for another forum).

3. Greed, Lust and Gluttony (three things many business owners and managers commit all of the time) are deadly sins as well according to Christianity, yet not-so-strangely enough you're not preaching about how bad they are.

While this may mean the world is ending, I have to agree with 313.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Maybe several persons were going to individually interview you. Maybe the rest were looking for the best candidate, but this one particular person wanted a friend or relative to get the job, so he/she said this to discourage you?

Maybe this person was the only honest one of the lot.
I didn't get the job, so it doesn't really matter.

This individual wasn't the person I was supposed to interview with initially and that was going to be the only interview, as they were looking for someone to start the same week or the beginning of the following week.

I won't mention the name of the company, but it does in fact have a high turnover (per my own research) as the workers at this company would usually leave to go work at the competitor's company. It's in a relatively vibrant industry, and only two major companies (one of which I interviewed with) dominate it.

I like honesty in an employer, but that was just being too honest. Usually employers try to make their company seem a lot more impressive than it really is to prospective employees.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:

Absolutely agree with entire post.

But I wonder if God dislikes hypocrites and those that preach/judge others while being a liar and hypocrite themselves?

Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongasabear View Post
I'm sure no one wants to hear this, but this is my 2 cents worth. It's not only morally wrong to lie, but it is actually against God's laws. Ever hear of the 16th commandment? Google the question, what does the Bible say about lying? You will find more references than you could possibly imagine. This passage from Proverbs 6:16-19 alone speaks volumes about what God thinks about a lying tongue...it is mentioned twice regarding what the Lord hates.

16 There are six things which the Lord hates,
Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
And hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that run rapidly to evil,
19 A false witness who utters lies,
And one who spreads strife among brothers.

Even if "everyone" does it, and even if no one else knows, God sees all and knows all, and we will ALL give an account of how we lived our lives to Him when we stand before Him in judgment. End of sermon.
The god that I worship is compassionate and understands these things. Your god, obviously the vengeful insecure Old Testament bigot, evidently does not.
Most people are either unbelievers or are religious moderates, which means they do not take biblical pronouncements literally, neither do they think such things apply to these days.
This is important to you, but why you would think it is significant to anyone here is beyond me.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
I won't mention the name of the company, but it does in fact have a high turnover (per my own research) as the workers at this company would usually leave to go work at the competitor's company. It's in a relatively vibrant industry, and only two major companies (one of which I interviewed with) dominate it.

I like honesty in an employer, but that was just being too honest. Usually employers try to make their company seem a lot more impressive than it really is to prospective employees.
If someone offered that they have a high turnover, I would be blatant (read that foolish) enough to ask why and what plans they have in effect for changing the trend.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
If you blatantly lie on your resume you can get fired for it. For example claiming you have a degree and you dont or claiiming you went to a school and you did not. However you can embellish your resume by using some big words and a lot of flowery language to describe what you did to puff yourself up and look more important or that your job was better than it really was. As long as its not really out and out lying you can maybe get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search