Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Exactly. Example: I interviewed with FEMA in NYC. They just rented 10 floors in a major highrise, indefinitely, to assist the New Yorkers here who have been severely hurt by Hurricane Sandy. I applied to 4 clerical jobs with FEMA for which I am more than a perfect fit. I am overqualified. Now these string of FEMA jobs are temporary jobs for 120 days (4 months). That's fine, I knew that when I applied. The schedule is 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week. Fine, again, as they pay overtime. I just want to work and make money. I am not looking to be the next CEO of Morgan Stanley (note sarcasm).

FEMA is getting such a bad rep right now, how dare they be picky about temp jobs? Really? You know their requirements? They fingerprint and do a criminal background check. Fine, I understand. I am clean 200%. However, they also do a credit check.This is what bothers me big time. According to this job descpription for all these clerical jobs, you are not handling money or accounts. You're not handling retail merchandise or trading stocks/bonds. You are not handling insurance policies of any kind.There is no banking, transferring funds, money investment activities or mortgages. So why the *F* would you do a credit check? What the *F* are you looking for? You want to waste time and money? Why don't you do a drug test, that would serve FEMA better. Of course the credit check authorization asks specifically "do you owe any federal agency any money?" Then it lists the type of "loans" and "agencies." Of course, I couldn't lie on that one. I had to put "federal student loan of $6,800." There are people who owe 30K and more. What's the big deal? You want college degrees, I got one. That's why I have a loan. Of course, a credit check also revealed I owe credit card debt from 2007 for about 3,000. Yea, me and everyone's mother in this economy.
So I ask you, what the f* does my credit have to do with a temporary clerical job? Nothing.
After getting back the letter notifications from the credit agencies that FEMA has checked my credit, I haven't heard a peep from FEMA.
That was 3 weeks ago.

I think I am moving on. Forget FEMA. Didn't one of their big wig directors resign after Hurricane Katrina? Every New York and Jersey paper is bashing them right now. Um, not to sound stupid or arrogant, but with their past and current internal and financial issues, shouldn't the credit of a clerical temp worker be the least of their problems?

(end or rant. I rest my case).
See? You owing money, especially student loans should NOT be a concern for a job where you won't be handling money. It's just a TEMP JOB!

The very people you interviewed with probably have worse credit than you. The hypocrisy behind all of this, especially with fed and state jobs is amazing.

I don't have a facebook, twitter, tumbler or Linkedin and don't plan on getting one either. I hope that my friends don't have pics of me on their facebooks, because now you can do a photo search to find people. I do not want an internet presence AT ALL until I begin my own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
See? You owing money, especially student loans should NOT be a concern for a job where you won't be handling money. It's just a TEMP JOB!

The very people you interviewed with probably have worse credit than you. The hypocrisy behind all of this, especially with fed and state jobs is amazing.

I don't have a facebook, twitter, tumbler or Linkedin and don't plan on getting one either. I hope that my friends don't have pics of me on their facebooks, because now you can do a photo search to find people. I do not want an internet presence AT ALL until I begin my own business.
Marilyn220, I have no problem taking the appropriate skills test, drug tests, giving references, even sitting there and writing an essay "What I did when I was in 5th grade". You want writing samples and a copy of my degree? Fine. Drug test? Fine. Criminal? Fine. Wanna speak to my landlord and neighborhood parish priest? Fine. No problem. If it means you will hire me, DO IT.

But my credit is another thing when it has nothing to do with the description of the job I am applying for. When I saw that credit check authorization form, I knew the whole thing was BS. I realized I wasted my $4.50 train fare and 3 hours of my time. FEMA probably needs to show the gov't the 250 applications from the job seekers so it can continue getting the appropriate tax breaks, EEOC approval, or other "funds". Do they want to help the Hurricane victims or not? That's the bottom line. There are plenty of unemployed both clerical and manual clean up labor people people here to help. Red Cross is another one. I didn't even bother applying to any of their job listings.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:

I, too, do not participate on these sites. I can't see why putting personal information out there, sharing with all sorts of internet crazies or crooks, could be a good thing.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I, too, do not participate on these sites. I can't see why putting personal information out there, sharing with all sorts of internet crazies or crooks, could be a good thing.
I remember reading a couple of years ago how Linkedin was a "good" thing for job leads and I guess it was. As soon as it went "public" everything changed. Facebook is constantly making changes and everyone hates the new mandatory timeline thing they have, but yet NO ONE WANTS LEAVE.

I created a FB page under a fake name, then deleted it when I saw how boring, useless and "snoopy" it was. I found myself clicking on the pics of the friends of friends to be nosey. Shortly after, I deleted it I began reading how people were losing their jobs over employers checking their pages and one guy was turned down from a job, because he "liked" a fan page the company objected to.

Then you read about coaches and college entrance people wanting you to "friend" them or give them FB passwords to keep track of your personal business. Like seriously WTF???

Don't get me wrong. I believe all of these social mediums are great for marketing purposes for a BUSINESS. I also would never be the FACE of my business either, unless I was sure I was bringing in at least 7 figures from it. We don't know who runs Best Buy, Target or Amazon, but yet, we have no problem purchasing from them.

People still can't believe I don't have a facebook. I tell them that everything I can do with facebook, I can do with a phone and email. The way people complain about FB, but yet keep dealing with their privacy abuses, you would think that the government ORDERED them to create a FB page.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Yes. I know a fellow who owns a chain of very successful businesses. He puts a totally phony face on online sources as him. You can't be too careful with all the crazies out there. I think most of those who are on Facebook have no power to influence anything, which means they are not stimulating some nut into resenting them; and they have nothing to lose, so if anyone invaded their home they'd wind up with nothing, anyway. Also, there are people who are lonely and really need friends. I think people are only asking for trouble when they expose themselves in this way.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Exactly. Example: I interviewed with FEMA in NYC. They just rented 10 floors in a major highrise, indefinitely, to assist the New Yorkers here who have been severely hurt by Hurricane Sandy. I applied to 4 clerical jobs with FEMA for which I am more than a perfect fit. I am overqualified. Now these string of FEMA jobs are temporary jobs for 120 days (4 months). That's fine, I knew that when I applied. The schedule is 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week. Fine, again, as they pay overtime. I just want to work and make money. I am not looking to be the next CEO of Morgan Stanley (note sarcasm).

FEMA is getting such a bad rep right now, how dare they be picky about temp jobs? Really? You know their requirements? They fingerprint and do a criminal background check. Fine, I understand. I am clean 200%. However, they also do a credit check.This is what bothers me big time. According to this job descpription for all these clerical jobs, you are not handling money or accounts. You're not handling retail merchandise or trading stocks/bonds. You are not handling insurance policies of any kind.There is no banking, transferring funds, money investment activities or mortgages. So why the *F* would you do a credit check? What the *F* are you looking for? You want to waste time and money? Why don't you do a drug test, that would serve FEMA better. Of course the credit check authorization asks specifically "do you owe any federal agency any money?" Then it lists the type of "loans" and "agencies." Of course, I couldn't lie on that one. I had to put "federal student loan of $6,800." There are people who owe 30K and more. What's the big deal? You want college degrees, I got one. That's why I have a loan. Of course, a credit check also revealed I owe credit card debt from 2007 for about 3,000. Yea, me and everyone's mother in this economy.
So I ask you, what the f* does my credit have to do with a temporary clerical job? Nothing.
After getting back the letter notifications from the credit agencies that FEMA has checked my credit, I haven't heard a peep from FEMA.
That was 3 weeks ago.

I think I am moving on. Forget FEMA. Didn't one of their big wig directors resign after Hurricane Katrina? Every New York and Jersey paper is bashing them right now. Um, not to sound stupid or arrogant, but with their past and current internal and financial issues, shouldn't the credit of a clerical temp worker be the least of their problems?

(end or rant. I rest my case).
If you were turned down for "bad" credit, you are entitled to get a copy of your credit report from the credit agencies used. It might be a good idea to do so in case some of the bad information is false so you can challenge it.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
I have no problem taking... <snip tale of travails>
But my credit is another thing when it has nothing to do with the description of the job I am applying for.
Your credit or FICA score is NOT why employers use the CR as a tool.
It is an objective source for accurate data that can be used equally with all applicants.
That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you were turned down for "bad" credit, you are entitled to get a copy of your credit report from the credit agencies used. It might be a good idea to do so in case some of the bad information is false so you can challenge it.
Not a issue for most people. Well, not unless they're really irresponsible.
(which *is* what a bad credit report shows an employer)

As for knowing what is on your CR... absolutely do something about it:
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...credit-reports

Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Hello, I was wondering about this topic lately because of the tough job market and economy. I've mainly been truthful about my skills and work history and most of the time I've been screwed up the know what. I want to start telling lies on my resume and interview because I feel that is the best way to get a job offer rather than to tell the truth and get screwed over. I want to put a company that is out of business on my resume and hopefully receive some phone calls/emails from employers/recruiters; they cannot contact the employer because they out of business. I know for a fact that A LOT of people lie on their resume and in interviews and most get away with it!!! I understand that some people will say that don't lie because it will come back to haunt you well I say so what??? Telling that lie got you the interview and the job offer. There are Fortune 500 company CEO's that have lied for example the former Yahoo CEO who lied about his computer science degree and even though he got fired he still got over 5 million dollars in pay!!!

What do you guys think about this? Have you done it? and if so what was the result?

Anything helps guys because I do read all of your post and respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance
Hell no I haven't done it!! And would never do it!

So it really wouldn't bother you knowing that you got a job under false pretenses? Really?

How do you feel knowing that you would be a LIAR?

That you cheated an employer?

That you are untrustworthy?

These really sound like good skills for a job!

You know, there are ways to talk about troublesome areas of your work history without resorting to lying.

I too have listed closed businesses on my resume, because it's part of my work history, and some of the people are on my reference list. Plus, I had some pretty good successes there. So, yes list it. You can always explain that it closed...and hopefully not as a result of anything you did! Perhaps you can share how you helped the company financially. I did in my case.

If I was interviewing you, and I knew you were lying (yes, there are ways to confirm), you'd be screwed & blackballed from ever applying to my company again.

Lying & cheating is not the way to get a job.

Last edited by caligirlz; 12-19-2012 at 01:05 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,912 times
Quote:
I owe no allegiance to employers who will sack me for the miniscule of nonsense just because they can.

I will lie and not even bat an eyelash about it. There once was a time that I would care, but this economy and employers not willing to interview unemployed people "regardless of the reason" :

Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

...has alleviated me of those feelings.

I will do whatever is necessary to secure my financial future, because the government sure won't. Yes, they can pass a law saying that it's illegal to deny someone employment for BEING unemployed, but an HR person can skip around the reasons why they didn't hire the person and most likely get away with it.

I don't even believe good credit matters like they're leading us to believe either. I do remember reading a story of a woman who was let go 3 months into the job for having bad credit, but I truly believe they WANTED to get rid of her for some reason and used the "bad credit" thing as an excuse. It doesn't take 3 months to run a credit check. I'm sure they ran this info when they hired her, so she must have done something to turn them off or somebody higher up wanted to get one of their friends in the job.

Due to this economy MILLIONS of americans with formerly good credit are now at the bottom with their credit score and not because they're willful "deadbeats". If bad credit was a problem or a "risk", then Walmart and many other retail establishments would have to fire half their workforce.

Again, it's just an excuse employers make for being a-holes and I truly have no F's to give about the matter.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Hell no I haven't done it!! And would never do it!

So it really wouldn't bother you knowing that you got a job under false pretenses? Really?
Nope.

Quote:
How do you feel knowing that you would be a LIAR?
Fine, actually.

Quote:
That you cheated an employer?
This same "employer" wouldn't have hired me if I was out of work for too long, even though I'm perfectly qualified for the job.

Quote:
If I was interviewing you, and I knew you were lying (yes, there are ways to confirm), you'd be screwed & blackballed from ever applying to my company again.
I wouldn't care. You're not the only employer in the country.

Quote:
Lying & cheating is not the way to get a job.
Save your self-righteous guilt trips for the people living in the homeless shelters, doubled up with family or living in tent cities, because they were "honest" about their employment situations.

I will do WHATEVER I have to do to secure MY financial future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search