Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:13 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyPaws View Post
Sadly true. Being an honerable and honest person are not qualities that help you get ahead anymore. I hate having to embellish or lie, but you gotta give them what they want to hear. I do not fault anyone for fibbing a little on their resumes. These companies could care less about the people they hire. The chew you up and spit you out the moment they decide to ship jobs overseas. I will be honest to my friends, family and the police. My employer can get @%#@.
I think most people learn this in high school. The ones that don't learn this lesson early in life are well, naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
That's obvious, of course. It's a no brainer. Anybody who argues with that is a .
Employers are looking for a St. Francis who juggles and rides on the unicycle for $10 an hour.
And that's for the jobs that don't require college.

The white collar jobs that are supposedly open use words in their ads like young....superstar...amazing on that....phenomenal on that.... If anybody is that incredible, such person can run their own company and won't need to be a worker bee. If I'm big time Ivy League, I won't even think to apply there. I should have my own thing going on. I would just pick up the phone, and I'd have a job in a week. No need for mass applying on the Internet.

These employers are unrealistic about their qualifications and requirements. The coveted purple squirrel superstar they want doesn't want them. And people who are not that purple squirrel do whatever it takes to get a job. As they should. Otherwise they will end up in Tent City sooner or later.
Yay! The purple squirrel is back!

Where's rambler? He'd eat this up!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM

128 posts, read 267,927 times
Just last week someone posted a thread similar to this. He lied on his resume and put a job that he never worked at on there. The company was oversees and had closed some years ago. He thought he would be safe. He was hired. Within a matter of days, HR was calling him to their office and demanding pay stubs and an engagement letter for the closed down company. Not sure if the poster resigned or was canned. Either way, it didn't end up pretty.

Even if you don't care about morals and ethics, lying about a job is impractical and extremely risky. If you get caught (which can happen at any point when you're employed with the company), you're done, no matter how great of a worker you've been. There is a paper trail for any company, including tax returns. Just because a company closed down does not mean you're safe to falsely put it on your resume.

Edit: Oh, and also, if you're hired and subsequently fired when HR finds out your lie, don't think for a second that HR won't tell your prospective employers about why you were terminated, when asked. The age-old rumor that former companies can only provide dates of employment is not true. They can provide reason for termination for a no-brainer like this. Which means, unless you want to be blacklisted, you'll have to exclude this company from your resume, creating yet another employment gap. But hey, maybe you can make up a second fake job! (Put this one on Mars; I hear their record-keeping is shoddy.)

Last edited by Goldblum57; 08-23-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Here we go....again???

Another one who thinks HR and employers are all brain surgeons and rocket scientists who are that all seeing Godhead eye.

blacklisted...demanding tax returns..paystubs...scare stories about people who were found out and fired.

(why not add torture by the HR Inquisition police..while at it? )

Yeah, ok so some do and some have.
I know plenty...plenty PLENTY of people who fudged their resume with titles they never had, fake references, overblown job descriptions, stretched dates, and yes, companies no longer in business.

People will do whatever they must to get employment. They always have. They always will. All this stuff is not new under the sun. It's been done before and will continue to be done. People will find ways to survive and get ahead in life, if they know how.

The rest who are not as creative can kumbaya the holy HR and wait for their pink slips.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I say to treat others the way you'd want to be treated. Lie to them if you want to be lied to. A job isn't worth giving up your integrity.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblum57 View Post
Just last week someone posted a thread similar to this. He lied on his resume and put a job that he never worked at on there. The company was oversees and had closed some years ago. He thought he would be safe. He was hired. Within a matter of days, HR was calling him to their office and demanding pay stubs and an engagement letter for the closed down company. Not sure if the poster resigned or was canned. Either way, it didn't end up pretty.
Now THAT was a completely different situation.

That person lied with the assumption that no one would check the information, which was stupid. That's different from embellishing information while making sure all of your grounds are covered.

A poster who replied in this thread and their brother successfully faked a reference and landed a job (yet ironically he was telling the OP on here that lying is wrong, how very funny). The employer apparently never confronted him about it and he worked at said company for 4 years.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A job isn't worth giving up your integrity.
In order to survive, you need food and shelter.

In order to gain food and shelter, you need money.

In order to gain money, you must have a job or receive government assistance.

In order to survive, people will do whatever it takes to survive. As the saying goes, when people have nothing to lose they lose it. These older folks you see robbing gas stations and convenience stores just so they can get arrested is because society has decided that they are worthless. Yet, if they couldn't find some type of health insurance they would die as they didn't have access to the necessary care or medicine without health insurance (as it would be far too expensive for them to afford given they didn't have a job nor the employer contribution). As a result, since they figure the only way they could get the health care they need is by going to prison and since society has already deemed them as worthless, they tossed all of their morals/ethics to the wayside and did what they had to do.

Really, saying a job isn't worth anything is just dumb, no other way to put it.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
In order to survive, you need food and shelter.

In order to gain food and shelter, you need money.

In order to gain money, you must have a job or receive government assistance.

In order to survive, people will do whatever it takes to survive. As the saying goes, when people have nothing to lose they lose it. These older folks you see robbing gas stations and convenience stores just so they can get arrested is because society has decided that they are worthless. Yet, if they couldn't find some type of health insurance they would die as they didn't have access to the necessary care or medicine without health insurance (as it would be far too expensive for them to afford given they didn't have a job nor the employer contribution). As a result, since they figure the only way they could get the health care they need is by going to prison and since society has already deemed them as worthless, they tossed all of their morals/ethics to the wayside and did what they had to do.

Really, saying a job isn't worth anything is just dumb, no other way to put it.
All this seems to be a foreign concept to some. We're speaking in a foreign language to them. Survival trumps integrity any day. When you have to food and shelter, you don't have integrity.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM

128 posts, read 267,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Now THAT was a completely different situation.

That person lied with the assumption that no one would check the information, which was stupid. That's different from embellishing information while making sure all of your grounds are covered.
I quote the OP's post below, bolding is mine.

Quote:
Hello, I was wondering about this topic lately because of the tough job market and economy. I've mainly been truthful about my skills and work history and most of the time I've been screwed up the know what. I want to start telling lies on my resume and interview because I feel that is the best way to get a job offer rather than to tell the truth and get screwed over. I want to put a company that is out of business on my resume and hopefully receive some phone calls/emails from employers/recruiters; they cannot contact the employer because they out of business. I know for a fact that A LOT of people lie on their resume and in interviews and most get away with it!!! I understand that some people will say that don't lie because it will come back to haunt you well I say so what??? Telling that lie got you the interview and the job offer. There are Fortune 500 company CEO's that have lied for example the former Yahoo CEO who lied about his computer science degree and even though he got fired he still got over 5 million dollars in pay!!!

What do you guys think about this? Have you done it? and if so what was the result?

Anything helps guys because I do read all of your post and respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance
I was responding to the notion that you will get away with it simply because the employer is out of business. This is what the poster I referenced believed. He was nailed. It's not something you'll get caught on every time, I'm sure. The trouble is you're not safe simply because you got the job. It could be discovered, perhaps inadvertently, at any time during your employment and justify your termination. If a poster like Mystique13 wants to downplay that risk, that's fine. I'm simply stating that it is a real risk and carries serious consequences.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblum57 View Post
I quote the OP's post below, bolding is mine.

I was responding to the notion that you will get away with it simply because the employer is out of business. This is what the poster I referenced believed. He was nailed. It's not something you'll get caught on every time, I'm sure. The trouble is you're not safe simply because you got the job. It could be discovered, perhaps inadvertently, at any time during your employment and justify your termination. If a poster like Mystique13 wants to downplay that risk, that's fine. I'm simply stating that it is a real risk and carries serious consequences.
There's a risk and consequence with everything you do in life.

The goal is to choose the path with the least risk and consequence but with the most reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search