Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:39 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times

Advertisements

Everyone lies a little. What if you hate your job and the interviewer asked why are you leaving your current position? Are you going to say you are leaving because my current boss is a butthole? Or will you say "for better opportunities"?

I lie about answers that I know they don't want to hear and I like to inflate my current salary. I don't lie about my experience though. Sometimes you just have to fake it til you make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaChoda7891 View Post
Here's a key tip:

Mix in some brutally honest, true statements about yourself/your history, during the interview, with the lies. It makes the lies seem more credible.
Agreed. The best way to lie is to disarm them with truth...and not to get caught in a lie that's easily found out.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Everyone lies a little. What if you hate your job and the interviewer asked why are you leaving your current position? Are you going to say you are leaving because my current boss is a butthole? Or will you say "for better opportunities"?

I lie about answers that I know they don't want to hear and I like to inflate my current salary. I don't lie about my experience though. Sometimes you just have to fake it til you make it.
yeah, i can understand lying in the not admitting that you're leaving a job because your boss is horrible way. or not admitting that your greatest weakness is something really unattractive to a potential employer.

inflating your salary is not a good idea, though. that does very commonly get checked, either if they call your previous employer or if they ask you for w2s. if they find out you lied, you could lose an offer.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:

Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
My last manager was a chronic liar. It started at my interview. I don't why she would describe the position one way, tell me particular projects I would be working on, even my HOURS....they were all a lie. I mention the hours because that's so black-and-white. She told me in the interview I would work 8 to 5. When I accepted the offer, she told me to come in no later than 7. It didn't seem like that big of a deal, just a bit puzzling.....

Until.......

After I started working there, I was part of the interviewing process for future staff. In our first joint interview, she says to the candidate, that the hours are 8 to 5. So I said, "Well, really, everyone comes in at 7." She glared at me and had the audacity to say, "The actual hours are 8 to 5." WTF???? EVERYONE was expected to be in between 6:30 and 7! Why in the world did she lie about that in every interview we ever did together???

There were MANY other much more serious lies, falsification of documents, and various regulatory violations (some quite serious that eventually led to me being a whistleblower, and an investigation that confirmed my claims).

Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:

I think there is a different between saying "better opportunities" than your boss wasn't appreciating you because is a part of a bigger issue. It maybe the initial reason but you would not likely give your best work in that type company and possibly not move up in the company.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
In my experience the only employees who say things like this are dishonest people looking to justify their own dishonesty.
That's a very undeserved comment. I asked my former manager if there was something going on with my job and she told me TO MY FACE WITH A SMILE ON HERS, "No, nothing is going on with your job THAT I'M AWARE OF." I asked a simple, straightforward question and was answered with a bold faced lie. Also, I've discovered that potential employers will paint a beautiful picture of the job for you so you'll accept the job, they'll bring you in and then you'll discover that everything they said to you during the interview was a lie. How does that go back on the employee as being dishonest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search