U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,996,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So what? The person may LIVE 5-10 minutes away from the place and would have been saved from a trip. Even if they were commuting, you would have saved any additional gas they would have otherwise wasted by coming all the way there as they would have just turned around.

As for making them wait 1-2 hours, what makes you think the applicant doesn't have another appointment to attend?

I would think it's just as classless if an employee didn't contact the employer if they had an emergency as well.
Twelve years ago I was at work when I got a call that my son was being taken to the emergency room. The original information was that he had been hit by a car while riding his bike. The last thing I was thinking about was ANYTHING but getting there to be with him. Anyone who lacks the compassion to understand that is not someone I'd hire. EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM

7,238 posts, read 11,000,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Twelve years ago I was at work when I got a call that my son was being taken to the emergency room. The original information was that he had been hit by a car while riding his bike. The last thing I was thinking about was ANYTHING but getting there to be with him. Anyone who lacks the compassion to understand that is not someone I'd hire. EVER.
I'm not talking about that type of emergency. I'm referring to business emergencies.

However, the applicant is still entitled to an apology and some type of accomodation. After all, you would expect that as well if the applicant had an emergency.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm not talking about that type of emergency. I'm referring to business emergencies.

However, the applicant is still entitled to an apology and some type of accomodation. After all, you would expect that as well if the applicant had an emergency.
If an applicant called me with an emergency I would reschedule. I wouldn't expect an "accommodation" for doing so. And business emergencies come up as well.

If I've got a big contract and there's some craziness all of a sudden that I need to tend to--and if I don't we'll lose the contract and put 15-20 people out of work, that's got to take precendent over an interview. Of course I'd apologize, but if they didn't understand that sometimes things happen, their prerogative, but they aren't getting the job.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM

9,770 posts, read 16,086,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And what if that change happened 10 minutes before the person walked through the door?

What if they just got a phone call their their kid fell off the swing at school and was knocked unconcious? Do you think they should just let the kid wait in the ER until they get there so they can interview someone for a job?

The person with no class is the applicant who thinks it's all about them.

Yes, of course, stuff happens, but not that often! Usually, life is fairly predictable.

For the OP, I've had the same thing happen. Get called for an interview, jump through all sorts of hoops to get there, then, they act like this is the first time they even saw my application/resume. I went through all the proper steps, filled out all the forms, the preliminary phone interview, etc. Then, get there, and barring $30 million dollar deals and sick kids, the interviewer comes in. One time they even opened my resume while I sat there --- I was told at several jobs they were ONLY looking for a certain certification, why was I there if I didn't have XYZ certification? Well, such certification was never specified, and, why did I get through all the HR hurdles without having a required certification for the job? Doesn't anyone there bother to read past the first sentence?

In my case, they flat out told me I wasn't qualified for the job after I got to the interview, isn't that what HR, applications, etc are there---to screen out obviously inappropriate candidates?

But, for the OP, perhaps the "president" asking you if you'd finished school yet was just a conversation starter, sort of like "how are you?" That would have been a good time to say oh, yes! I just completed my BS in engineering, and am looking forward to applying my skills....etc, etc......that's also a good example of how good you are at the fine art of conversation, especially with someone outside your peer group. In a sense, he was throwing you a ball, to see how well you could pick it up and run with it.

You will get the hang of it

Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM

107 posts, read 349,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yes, of course, stuff happens, but not that often! Usually, life is fairly predictable.

For the OP, I've had the same thing happen. Get called for an interview, jump through all sorts of hoops to get there, then, they act like this is the first time they even saw my application/resume. I went through all the proper steps, filled out all the forms, the preliminary phone interview, etc. Then, get there, and barring $30 million dollar deals and sick kids, the interviewer comes in. One time they even opened my resume while I sat there --- I was told at several jobs they were ONLY looking for a certain certification, why was I there if I didn't have XYZ certification? Well, such certification was never specified, and, why did I get through all the HR hurdles without having a required certification for the job? Doesn't anyone there bother to read past the first sentence?

In my case, they flat out told me I wasn't qualified for the job after I got to the interview, isn't that what HR, applications, etc are there---to screen out obviously inappropriate candidates?

But, for the OP, perhaps the "president" asking you if you'd finished school yet was just a conversation starter, sort of like "how are you?" That would have been a good time to say oh, yes! I just completed my BS in engineering, and am looking forward to applying my skills....etc, etc......that's also a good example of how good you are at the fine art of conversation, especially with someone outside your peer group. In a sense, he was throwing you a ball, to see how well you could pick it up and run with it.

The fate with this position is sealed. The fix was in all along. The man interviewing me said they were looking to have someone "by Friday". Since Thursday is essentially over as I am writing this, tomorrow, or Monday (or never!) I am expecting a nice and short e-mail saying how "they chose someone who better fit them..."

Asking me whether I graduated or asking me what part of city I live in when all of this is on my resume was a dead give away.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,723,981 times
And you making no effort to show him why you would be great only reinforced his choice.

I am sure he appreciates you coming in and making it clear you were not interested. The guy who was interested, that he MAY have already decided to hire, was mentally hired during your interview.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 AM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 50,806,937 times
I will say if the interviewer doesn;t give off the vibe they don't like you, it's kind of hard to sell yourself. When I think back to all the interviews I did well on, it was because the interviewer made me feel comfortable because they looked happy to meet me and that allowed me to relax and be myself

Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,723,981 times
So, when you are at work, if your boss isn't giving you the "I like you and you are great" vibe, do you fail to do a good job?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 AM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 50,806,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
So, when you are at work, if your boss isn't giving you the "I like you and you are great" vibe, do you fail to do a good job?
It makes me nervous because the boss is never supposed to look unhappy around me. That means i messed up something

Old 08-24-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

I absolutely agree that if they were only willing to hire someone with that certification and they brought in someone who didn't have it listed on their resume, that employer is crap.

Quote:
That's why I ALWAYS do a phone interview first. I can usually tell in the first minute if this is someone I want to pursue further. I typically only do an in person interview with the top 2-3 candidates for the job. I don't want to put people through hoops or waste their time or mine.

Quote:

I was seeing it that way as well. It was an invitation to offer a 30 second elevator speech about their education and how it fits with the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or