Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times

Advertisements

The phone interview that I had about a month ago seemed to go well. I never got to the face to face interview and just recently received the rejection e-mail. Because I thought it went so well, I kept really thinking that they were running really behind in their hiring process. Now I'm dissecting "what went wrong". Because I worked at their company before, she asked me why I left their company. I said "more compensation" at the new job- this was a sales job after all. I also said that the new position was an opportunity that I "had always wanted to do." Then again, was this really such a great answer? Believe me, it could've been something else, but my inexperience at interviewing does not help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The phone interview that I had about a month ago seemed to go well. I never got to the face to face interview and just recently received the rejection e-mail. Because I thought it went so well, I kept really thinking that they were running really behind in their hiring process. Now I'm dissecting "what went wrong". Because I worked at their company before, she asked me why I left their company. I said "more compensation" at the new job- this was a sales job after all. I also said that the new position was an opportunity that I "had always wanted to do." Then again, was this really such a great answer? Believe me, it could've been something else, but my inexperience at interviewing does not help me.
What you told the interviewer is that you found a job that paid better, so you took it, and that the money was more important to you than the company, the culture, the people that you worked with, etc. You also told the company during the interview that what you had always wanted to do was at the other company. So, in essence you told an employee of company A that you left company A for company B because company B gave you the opportunities you always wanted. why in the world would they want you back with those answers?

I am guessing I don't really need to say more to make it clear why you were rejected.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM

306 posts, read 431,396 times
This is the part where I lie. I tell them that I was in the process of moving to another job for a change of scenery, but a hiring freeze prevented my start. Then I just say my old job wasn't happy about me leaving, so I didn't go back. Even if it's true. Try to sit down and really think of some good default answers for some of these questions. I was actually shocked when I went to interview at the job I currently have and the manager asked me if my previous job was as bad as
my former coworker who also works at my new job says it was. I guess some interviewers think differently.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
This is the part where I lie. I tell them that I was in the process of moving to another job for a change of scenery, but a hiring freeze prevented my start. Then I just say my old job wasn't happy about me leaving, so I didn't go back. Even if it's true. Try to sit down and really think of some good default answers for some of these questions. I was actually shocked when I went to interview at the job I currently have and the manager asked me if my previous job was as bad as
my former coworker who also works at my new job says it was. I guess some interviewers think differently.
This isn't the person asking about answering a "why did you leave your last job" this person is asking about dealing with telling the interviewer why they left the company they are currently interviewing with. Left Company A, decided it was an oops, now interviewing with company A to return.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM

306 posts, read 431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
This isn't the person asking about answering a "why did you leave your last job" this person is asking about dealing with telling the interviewer why they left the company they are currently interviewing with. Left Company A, decided it was an oops, now interviewing with company A to return.
Ah, I see. I misread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
I personally don't have a problem with candidate telling me "I left XYZ for more money."

We need to take care of ourselves. Expecting our company to take care of us is a pipe dream. If the company doesn't want to step up with the pay, then please don't expect loyalty from its employees.

There must be something else that failed you. Next time you may want to answer "career advancement" instead of "more money."

Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
What you told the interviewer is that you found a job that paid better, so you took it, and that the money was more important to you than the company, the culture, the people that you worked with, etc. You also told the company during the interview that what you had always wanted to do was at the other company. So, in essence you told an employee of company A that you left company A for company B because company B gave you the opportunities you always wanted. why in the world would they want you back with those answers?

I am guessing I don't really need to say more to make it clear why you were rejected.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. At the time, it did seem like company B would offer more opportunities. I should have mentioned what you suggested about leaving friends, wonderful corporate culture (which would have been a big lie circa year 2000 when I left). It was wrong to say "something that I always wanted to do" about company B. It popped in my head because I've always heard so many others say that they wanted to do it, (thinking that it's the perfect job). It might have helped had I mentioned that Co A's industry was said to be in decline back in 2000 and Co B's industry was a higher growth industry- which would have been true at the time.
I don't interview well, and usually don't get better until I've got some practice. But I am very good at what I do, that I'm very sure of.

Your points are well taken however, bunny. I'm going to write a "resurrection letter" and explain the mistake of leaving Co A and admiring the company culture, etc along with some other things. I would certainly be no worse off in doing so.

Last edited by wehotex; 08-22-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM

I think that is the issue though. Money is a motivating factor, but we have all (at least I have) had the job that was so awful there was not enough money to get us to stay. I know I have also taken a pay cut for an improvement in quality of life. Money, while a motivator, should not be the ONLY reason. And when an applicant states the money is the reason, well, that person seems like a person who isn't making intelligent and well-thought out opinions.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
I;m a little confused here.

If the OP was already an employee at the company in the past then why was he being interviewed like he was a outsider?-lol There shouldn't have been a phone interview if he left on good terms. I winder how long ago it was when he was an employee?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 PM

WHy wouldn't there be an interview? You leave a company, you go somewhere else, and if you want to come back you interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search