U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,189,410 times

Advertisements

Years ago, when I was looking I applied to places where the job description was stuff I had been doing for many years, I was deemed "not qualified" because my degree was the wrong kind, technical not administrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:13 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,288,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No, but it would be nice if the employer knows they are capable of such BEFORE they hire them. A college degree used to reassure a potential employer of this. And you would be surprised how many are not capable of such a simple, yet important obligation.

A person who held down a full-time job while attending school online has already demonstrated far beyond a traditional student that he or she is a dependable employee. There is really no comparison.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
A person who held down a full-time job while attending school online has already demonstrated far beyond a traditional student that he or she is a dependable employee. There is really no comparison.
I don't think that online vs traditional really has to do with proving reliability. If you're going to college for just a piece of paper, sure, doing it online can provide that. But if you want the best education, you typically have to do college in person (non-virtually) for most programs.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,613,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think that online vs traditional really has to do with proving reliability. If you're going to college for just a piece of paper, sure, doing it online can provide that. But if you want the best education, you typically have to do college in person (non-virtually) for most programs.
I have done both. I have to disagree. In brick and mortar, you pretty much have to attend the first day, and exam days, and the final. For online, you have to post the required posts, be available for team assignments, be active and engaged 4 of 7 days...more than I can say for brick and mortar classes for some students.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,288,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's not what I said. Students who attend school online tend to be people who are currently working or have worked full-time for years. It doesn't make any sense to say that students who attended on campus will be seen as more reliable by employers because most online students have already proven that in the workplace.

Sitting in lectures is not for everyone. I zone out when I have to sit through them. I have mostly taught myself everything since high school just by reading the textbook, so lectures are a waste of time for me. But if you're the type of person who needs hand holding, then you'll probably need access to graduate assistants and tutors.

Last edited by L210; 08-26-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,899,087 times
Quote:
Agreed.

A person who has just earned their 4-year degree and has worked full time for 4 years as an Administrative Assistant or Accounting Clerk will be much more likely to land a good-paying job than someone who just earned their 4-year degree while only working part-time at McDonalds.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM

53 posts, read 72,964 times
certs are great, they're relatively inexpensive and focus on a specific area rather than a degree where you spend a sizable amount of money and time.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,277,547 times
The only reason to attend a for-profit college is if you can't get into a real college. They cost a lot more and their graduates have poor employment data.

With many traditional universities offering online programs now and community colleges as an option those are the obvious choices if you can only go part-time.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,277,547 times
Quote:
Sure there is. The student at the university likely was much more successful in HS which is why they are at a four year BM school.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
"Degree must be from a accredited institution of higher learning"

So now some employers don't want you to have a online degree?-lol

Even the most heinous diploma mill is "accredited" by someone. Unless they are specific about who is doing the accrediting, their wasting their breath.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search